• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Book/Discussion Thread

If anyone is interested in that Oyster Books account I was talking about a few posts back they just emailed me saying they are taking $15 off.

Started a re-read of Winter of Our Discontent earlier this week. I remember liking it a lot, but it's pretty exposition-y at the start.

Related story: I took a course in Southern literature with Bofunk's favorite professor, Moss, my senior year. We read No County for Old Men, which I didn't much care for, and I pretty well ripped into it in a reflection paper. At the end, I wrote something to the effect of, "McCarthy will never be mentioned in the same breath as Faulkner or Steinbeck." Moss circled that comment and wrote, "Well... maybe Steinbeck."

Started a re-read of Winter of Our Discontent earlier this week. I remember liking it a lot, but it's pretty exposition-y at the start.

Related story: I took a course in Southern literature with Bofunk's favorite professor, Moss, my senior year. We read No County for Old Men, which I didn't much care for, and I pretty well ripped into it in a reflection paper. At the end, I wrote something to the effect of, "McCarthy will never be mentioned in the same breath as Faulkner or Steinbeck." Moss circled that comment and wrote, "Well... maybe Steinbeck."

OGB, I was hanging with Jimmy Shapiro last night (as in, the biggest boss-Shakespearean in the world), and he gave a talk about his new "Shakespeare in America" anthology. You might be familiar with the anecdote with which he began, but I thought of you:

Essentially, half of the US Army was stationed in Corpus Christi, TX in anticipation of war with Mexico in 1845. The army staged 'Othello', and (a fully bearded) Ulysses Grant was cast in the role of Desdemona. Long story short, he didn't end up playing her, but still the implications of future Civil War rivals playing against each other in one of Shakespeare's best is pretty compelling. The cast list is like a who's who of OGB's dreams.

Here is a brief recapitulation I found on the internet: http://www.caller2.com/autoconv/newslocal98/newslocal54.html

That's great; I'd never heard that before.

However, as to the article...

Longstreet, a second lieutenant under Taylor, would serve as lieutenant general under Grant during the Civil War.

Uh, no.

Been CRUSHIN some Jorge Luis Borges short fiction. Too bad I only know a select few Spanish words (mostly euphemisms for bangin).

Been CRUSHIN some Jorge Luis Borges short fiction. Too bad I only know a select few Spanish words (mostly euphemisms for bangin).

Have you read "The Bribe" (El soborno)?? It is about English academics, and it is set in the building on campus in which my office is located.

Lolita just gets better and better. Read the section today where he meets Lolita. "beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!"

i just started reading inherent vice

is it just me or does the wolfmann seem to be based on donald sterling?

Shameless plug for the St. Francis Book Sale. If you're in the Greensboro area, come check us out Thursday-Saturday for great prices on over 50,000 books with all of the proceeds going back to outreach programs in the community.

Damn that was quick. Where do you find the time to read so much? I think I play too many video games sometimes.

Recently read "Silas Marner" again, which I really enjoyed. It inspired me to pick up "Middlemarch", which I'm halfway through. I think I like George Eliot more than Austen, Bronte, and her other English contemporaries.

Recently read "Silas Marner" again, which I really enjoyed. It inspired me to pick up "Middlemarch", which I'm halfway through. I think I like George Eliot more than Austen, Bronte, and her other English contemporaries.

Middlemarch is a solid book, I enjoyed it a lot. Fuck Rosamond though, seriously.

I randomly 'inherited' a first American edition of Silas Marner after my grandparents died. Haven't given it much thought, but checking out what people say about it now makes me want to add (a non-antique edition of) it to my list.

Back