• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Book/Discussion Thread

I'm thinking of it from the point of view of students, and I wonder if you're thinking of it from the POV of students or professors, given your place in between in academia right now.

My first post was thinking from an (undergraduate) student's perspective and second, from my own as an instructor.

I just don't know completely how to feel about its implementation in college courses yet.

Do you think that a five minute lecture on the first class-day and a short statement on the syllabus about the content of the class-texts is unreasonable? I don't think that it should be mandated by any means, but, in my opinion, it is worth the small trouble.

Also, I'm not sure that I find compassion and empathy to be suggestive of a 'paternalistic' pedagogy.

People are asking for advanced warnings of depictions of suicide; rape, assault, and violence; and particularly harsh portrayals of racism.

I was a bit taken aback by the suggestion within the article for an anti-semite trigger warning concerning Merchant of Venice. Such a preface could negatively affect student's interpretation before the book is even cracked, no? I read Shylock as a sympathetic character in an unsympathetic time.

I'm also having trouble finding how such a play could revive traumatic experiences for undergraduates.

WARNING: THE ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN IS RATED "R" FOR RACIST

The world doesn't give a fuck about your sensitivities and the sooner you learn that the best.

Agreed, Kory; I think some of the article's suggestions go well beyond reason.

The world doesn't give a fuck about your sensitivities and the sooner you learn that the best.

I think there is a big difference between sensitivities and traumas (and mental illnesses), and I think the world would be a better place if more people understood the difference.

I would have appreciate a trigger on Jane Eyre warning that it might cause me to die of fucking boredom.

I think there is a big difference between sensitivities and traumas (and mental illnesses), and I think the world would be a better place if more people understood the difference.

I don't disagree, but you could be watching any movie, TV show, or stand up comedian and without warning them talk about suicide or rape or mired wring an entire family and you're not going to get a trigger about that.

Well I was hoping for some interesting summer reading ideas. Never mind.

I don't disagree, but you could be watching any movie, TV show, or stand up comedian and without warning them talk about suicide or rape or mired wring an entire family and you're not going to get a trigger about that.

You are right, obviously, but that doesn't mean that people shouldn't do what they can to help...especially if the effort required is minimal.

I would have appreciate a trigger on Jane Eyre warning that it might cause me to die of fucking boredom.

********SPOILERS********

You must have missed the part where there is a mother fucking psycho-lady living in the attic who burns down the entire mansion house.

You are right, obviously, but that doesn't mean that people shouldn't do what they can to help...especially if the effort required is minimal.

True, but outside of a syllabus I don't think the school should have to give advance warning

There are absolute mindfucks that come out of nowhere in great college courses

oh god, great expectations could have used that boring warning as well

Do you hate violence, sexism, perverseness, rape, elitism, brutality, discrimination, and patriarchy? YOU'RE GONNA HATE SHAKESPEARE!

True, but outside of a syllabus I don't think the school should have to give advance warning

Here, I agree with you--I don't think warnings should be the result of a mandate. But I don't at all agree with the oppositions to trigger warnings on the grounds of academic freedom that the noobs in the article seem to posit, and I'll continue to offer one-time warnings in general opening day discussions in my own classroom.

Back