• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Book/Discussion Thread

Here, I agree with you--I don't think warnings should be the result of a mandate. But I don't at all agree with the oppositions to trigger warnings on the grounds of academic freedom that the noobs in the article seem to posit, and I'll continue to offer one-time warnings in general opening day discussions in my own classroom.

WARNING: Heart of Darkness may cause drowsiness if used for more than 15 consecutive minutes.

Oh look, the water represents sexuality! What a metaphor! It's not shoved in your face at all!

I never finished The Awakening in high school. But I remember thinking "if you're so miserable just kill yourself."

Didn't realize until the exam that's what happened. In the middle of the exam I actually said, "oh man. She really did it."

I can maybe see the argument for Jane Eyre, but The Awakening is just terrible. The best book to take place in New Orleans has a character named Ignatius J. Reilly.

Also, this is one of my very favorite novels.

Agatha Christie is my girl. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is probably the best crime novel I've ever read.

Raymond Chandler is also a personal favorite of mine.

Agatha Christie is my girl. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is probably the best crime novel I've ever read.

Raymond Chandler is also a personal favorite of mine.

Have you read the classic Sherlock Holmes mysteries?

This video is just a masterpiece of comedic lit commentary.

Last edited:
London Review of Books > New York Review of Books > New Yorker

I'd like to start reading the Paris Review.

Just started reading Infinite Jest. See you guys in a couple of months.

Back