• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Book/Discussion Thread

It's on my list, but haven't gotten to it yet. Worth reading?

I enjoyed it; it is a short, quick read. Pretty creepy stuff. I kept expecting for it to be that Nicole Kidman movie The Others​, but it is not.

Just checked out Allie Brosh's ebook from my local library to my Kindle...can't wait to read it.

I'm about 200 pages into God Knows by Joseph Heller [of Catch-22 fame]. Absolutely hilarious and thought provoking at the same time.

The story is written from the perspective of David. If you liked Catch-22, I highly recommend this book.

Finishing up Tropic of Cancer. Very different read from what I'm used to. Next up is As I Lay Dying which I somehow haven't read.

Finally got around to reading Unbroken. Incredible. Must read for anyone.

Just finished The Boys in the Boat about the UW crew team that qualifies to race in the 1936 Berlin Olympics. Really interesting.

Just finish Boys in the Boat as well and loved it. Literally one of my favorite books ever and I knew nothing about crew.

Finishing up Tropic of Cancer. Very different read from what I'm used to. Next up is As I Lay Dying which I somehow haven't read.

What did you think? Those are two of my favorites of all time.

Just finished Deliverance, started Rasselas. Looking for some wisdom. Or a miracle.

Tropic of Cancer was great. May need to reread it though as I almost felt like once through wasn't enough even as I was reading it the first time. Got back into classes and still have as I lay dying half finished. So far I like it a lot too. I'm a massive Faulkner fan though.

Instead, BBC Culture’s critics completed their line-up of “The 21st Century’s 12 greatest novels” with...

11. Zadie Smith, White Teeth (2000)

Not the 21st Century.

Recently finished Henderson the Rain King. First major work of Bellow's I've read, and I enjoyed it. It's always a tad bit uncomfortable reading the "White Man Goes to Africa" stories from that time period and before, but this one wasn't as bad as some others.

I really dug Oscar Wao. I love Diaz's style: irreverent, chaotic, unpretentious. Zadie Smith is my literary crush and White Teeth is one of my all-time favorites. She wrote that shit in college! Surprised to see NW get love as an HM; I thought On Beauty was better.

I thought Americanah was pretty good, but not top-ten mateial. Kavalier and Clay is great, but it kinda fades in the second half. First half is one of the best several hundred pages of a novel I've ever read. All the McEwan I've read I've not liked, but never read Atonement. Didn't read Corrections, but Freedom was just whatever. Bolano is on my need-to-read list.

Haven't read The Corrections yet, but people really seem to love it or hate it. Which means I will probably just think it's ok.

Anyone read the Southern Reach trilogy? Trying to decide whether to get it paperback or Kindle editions...

Yes, it's very good. I'd definitely recommend it, but be warned: it can be a bit frustrating, depending on what you are expecting.

Finished 'The Bone Clocks' the other day and thought it was pretty good, save for one of the main characters (the older book critic).

Just started The Goldfinch and am about 20% through, so far it's not really holding my attention. Does it get better?

Back