• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Book/Discussion Thread

Just finished up The Forever War by Joe Haldeman, which is some pretty hard sci-fi -- time dilation, relativity, etc.

zdatrygbpnuufnqtf5zd.jpg

Really, really liked this one. Check out Old Man's War by John Scalzi I'd you liked Forever War.

I realize I'm probably behind on this, but just finished The Goldfinch last night. Thought it was very well written and really drew me into the world of the book.

Really, really liked this one. Check out Old Man's War by John Scalzi I'd you liked Forever War.

Thanks for the recommendation. I was pretty surprised to see in the book (published in 1974) that the base where the army trains is located on a planet called Charon, which of course is the name of Pluto's moon (discovered in 1978). So did they name Charon the moon after the Charon in the book?

Thanks for the recommendation. I was pretty surprised to see in the book (published in 1974) that the base where the army trains is located on a planet called Charon, which of course is the name of Pluto's moon (discovered in 1978). So did they name Charon the moon after the Charon in the book?

In the 1974 sci-fi novel The Forever War written by Joe Haldeman, a group of elite military recruits train for combat on a fictional icy planetoid called Charon that orbits the Sun at a distance of 80 AU. Being that the story was published 4 years before the discovery of Pluto’s largest moon, it is unclear whether the fictional Charon of the story somehow factored into the naming of Pluto’s moon or if the two share a name purely by coincidence.[SUP][30]

[/SUP]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charon_(moon)

Just finished up The Forever War by Joe Haldeman, which is some pretty hard sci-fi -- time dilation, relativity, etc.

zdatrygbpnuufnqtf5zd.jpg

I have had it on my kindle app for five years. Worth reading?

Edit: ok, well, I didn't read after your post to see people talking about it. I'll read it. I'm still a little scarred from Dune, why do people love that book so much?

Last edited:
Finished Infinite Jest over the weekend. Glad I read it and parts were really great. Some parts were maddening and annoying. I couldn't help shake some of the racist language he used throughout. I know some of it was attributional to the characters, but the whole novel has a white supremacist tint to it. Still, some of what he can do with language is genius-level stuff.

The Goldfinch started off slowly for me but now I can't put it down. About 80% done.

Tartt's book, The Secret History was one of my favorites in high school.

Recently read another James Lee Burke book. Absolutely beautiful writing. Good story lines as well.

I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series by Stieg Larsson a few summers ago and haven't found anything like it since, any recommendations?

Check out I Am Pilgrim. Just finished it. Similar in many ways. Good page turner.

I've read The Sound and The Fury five times. I don't know that I've read any other book more than twice.

I've read Portrait of the Artist probably a dozen times. Heart of Darkness probably ten times. But those were during my formative teenage years when Townie and I would do a lot of drugs and get introspective and shit. Not sure there are many books I want to re-read over and over anymore. Maybe Franny and Zooey or Look Homeward, Angel or something that killed me as an adult.

I read Crime and Punishment in three different classes for high school and college. Not a bad book but really has a ton of themes to think about.

Is Infinite Jest worth a read? Almost picked it up last weekend.

Back