• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Book/Discussion Thread

Never heard of it. Quick Google search has me intrigued. LOL at this goodreads comment:

My issues with this novel are the same I typically have with books by Morrison--I'm okay with feminist issues, I'm okay with racial issues, and I'm okay with sexual issues, but when you combine them, it tends to be a bit much

After I catch up on all the n+1 and LRB and whatnot that I left behind while reading IJ I think I'm on to Graham Greene (never read him) and Giovanni's Room next.

I pretty much didn't read shit for the first 20ish years of my life and feel like I'm so far behind most readers. I think I just hated being told what to read and I'm not a good student. I've got a lot of work to do just to make up the foundation that most of the well-read people I admire did in their more formative years.

Hitchhiker's at least 10 times.
Gravity's Rainbow twice.
1984 prolly 5 times?
I'm sure there are others that overlapped during college.
I read the Dhammapada every day but I'm not sure if that counts.

Usually I read it, take notes while I read and I'm done.

I think I'm on to Graham Greene (never read him) next.

For me. it's: Our Man in Havana > Brighton Rock [esp. if you like ​Peaky Blinders] > The Third Man > The Power and the Glory > *. I'm sure I'm forgetting several others I've liked, as well.

Is Infinite Jest worth a read? Almost picked it up last weekend.

You'd probably dig it and the Boston-area setting would probably be fun for you. I'm still processing it all, but it's not gonna make my all-time favorites list like some. Still, it was quite a fun book for stretches and a poignant look into addiction, privilege, and sentimentality, among other themes.

I think Mario was my favorite character.

Gotta give a shout out to a young adult book written by my buddy's wife that just released today. My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga

Just finished "Walden on Wheels." Ilgunas is best known for his van-dwelling experiment at Duke, but the first half of the book focuses on his post-undergraduate life in Alaska. Fun fact: he applied to Wake grad, but chose Duke. A well-written and easy read about frugality and modern life, imo.

For all the Austen I've read, I've never read P&P. I think that's next.

Yeah, I'm not one to knock another man's jollies, but I'm never gonna read Austen again.

Anybody read any Studs Terkel?

Picking up Hammer of the Gods, the Led Zep biography this weekend, and then I'm going to try to get through "Good to Great" for professional reasons.

Fuck. I just heard that Philip Levine died Saturday.

Belle Isle, 1949
BY PHILIP LEVINE

We stripped in the first warm spring night
and ran down into the Detroit River
to baptize ourselves in the brine
of car parts, dead fish, stolen bicycles,
melted snow. I remember going under
hand in hand with a Polish highschool girl
I'd never seen before, and the cries
our breath made caught at the same time
on the cold, and rising through the layers
of darkness into the final moonless atmosphere
that was this world, the girl breaking
the surface after me and swimming out
on the starless waters towards the lights
of Jefferson Ave. and the stacks
of the old stove factory unwinking.
Turning at last to see no island at all
but a perfect calm dark as far
as there was sight, and then a light
and another riding low out ahead
to bring us home, ore boats maybe, or smokers
walking alone. Back panting
to the gray coarse beach we didn't dare
fall on, the damp piles of clothes,
and dressing side by side in silence
to go back where we came from.

Last edited:
I'm pleasantly surprised. I actually like Austen's character exposition in P&P a great deal. Previous novels and reading used to grate on me, but I've found myself chuckling a few times here. Laughing because of an Austen novel? This is weird. Almost a third of the way through.

It's no page turner, but I'm definitely going to finish.

Just finished The End of the Affair. Reminded me of 39 Steps meets Anna Karenina in terms of style and theme.

Think I'm on to Feast of the Goats next.

Last edited:
Picking up Hammer of the Gods, the Led Zep biography this weekend, and then I'm going to try to get through "Good to Great" for professional reasons.

Hammer of the Gods was a great read, really enjoyed it. I recommend it to anyone that's a LZ fan.

Back