• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Book/Discussion Thread

I just finished Secondhand Souls yesterday. It's the most recent Christopher Moore book and a the sequel to A Dirty Job. I love CM's books. They are quick, easy reads and usually hilarious. This one was no exception.

Tenth of December is good, but pretty gimmicky. Not worthy of the hype, imo.

I'm slowly reading Elvis Costello's nearly 700-page memoir, Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink, but, even though I have liked everything I've read so far, I'm not sure I'm going to make it. Just can't seem to hook into anything these days.

You aren't hooked on a 700 page book about Elvis Costello? Whaaa? Nooo!
Good to hear that he finally finished it, last I heard he was writing it every day

Make sure you're in a good headspace when you read Notes From Underground. I was not and it kinda fucked with me.

Finished Man in the High Castle last night.

I enjoyed the prose surrounding Juliana's break from reality, or whatever happened with her. It tracked well with the unraveling of that plot line. The scene in the hotel was so good. I did feel a little unfulfilled with a couple other storylines, especially with Wegener/Baynes. I know it was intentionally ambiguous but that felt like a bit of a shaggy dog/dead end plot line. Great read overall though.

On to Notes From Underground/The Double.

My goal in 2016 is to give In Search of Lost Time another full read through and take notes this time to try not to get so lost (and because I fall asleep reading at night, to make sure I stay with the long threads). I also have Gogol and Nabokov to really dive into and then I want to see if I can finally dig into the Bronte sisters and give a shit, since I never have.

I really enjoyed The Double.

Got The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness for Christmas. Excited to dive into it tonight. Everyone I've talked to that has read it has loved it.

Received a copy of Keith Richard's biography this year for Christmas. Certainly not as heady as most of the stuff you all are reading, but I'm looking forward to it!

Going to try to read 50 book in the next calendar year. The number isn't as important as just getting back into reading post-college.

I find it increasingly difficult to read in the constant need for electronic stimulation (phone, internet, tv). I read a bit over the past weekend and I found myself having to re-train myself to read without allowing my thoughts to drift off.

Easy to see how we are losing our ability for focusing on one task at a time in this day and age.

Going to try to read 50 book in the next calendar year. The number isn't as important as just getting back into reading post-college.

I find it increasingly difficult to read in the constant need for electronic stimulation (phone, internet, tv). I read a bit over the past weekend and I found myself having to re-train myself to read without allowing my thoughts to drift off.

Easy to see how we are losing our ability for focusing on one task at a time in this day and age.

I don't have the book total goal, but I'm with you on the second piece of what you're saying.
Currently reading Flyboys and realizing just how little I know about WWII.

I definitely would not get hung up on that total. I feel like I read a fair amount, and it's a great year if I knock out half that many.

Finished Midnight's Children yesterday. It was quite good; the family history was well done, and in a lot of ways it reminded me of One Hundred Years of Solitude.
The one real complaint I have is that the idea of the children itself, while a great one, didn't really go anywhere or get near as much development as I'd like.

I definitely would not get hung up on that total. I feel like I read a fair amount, and it's a great year if I knock out half that many.

Finished Midnight's Children yesterday. It was quite good; the family history was well done, and in a lot of ways it reminded me of One Hundred Years of Solitude.
The one real complaint I have is that the idea of the children itself, while a great one, didn't really go anywhere or get near as much development as I'd like.

I was planning on wedging some shorter, sport books in there as well. I have about 75 books total on my bookshelves. Most are either: sports, Civil War, or philosophy related. Definitely won't get hung up on the number.

Just seems like a lofty goal, albeit perhaps unattainable.

I was planning on wedging some shorter, sport books in there as well. I have about 75 books total on my bookshelves. Most are either: sports, Civil War, or philosophy related.

You can't say that and not specify

Lincoln and His Admirals
Gettysburg (there is something after the colon, but don't remember the subtitle)
The Fiery Trial
The Grand Design: Strategy and the Civil War
Biography of Joseph Eggleston Johnston (5th great uncle)

Then there are a few more Lincoln ones that I don't remember off the top of my head. I'll update when I get home tonight.

ETA: I also have Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter that I got for Xmas last year haha.

Last edited:
Back