• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Book/Discussion Thread

I will probably read Tender is the Night by F. Scott next. At some point I want to get to Stephen King's most recent short story collection Full Dark, No Stars. Has anybody read it yet? I haven't really heard much. He's been way off his game for over a decade now, sadly.

The first story was really dark and grim. Overall I enjoyed them. King is a great short story writer.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close was amazing.

I want to read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest as I have only seen the movie.

The Sound and the Fury. Frustrating yet I enjoyed the setting.

I enjoyed Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close but I found the main character annoying at times. I guess he needed to be very young for some of the naivete related to the story but making him so smart and opinionated just went totally beyond reality and made it harder to connect with character.

After I started that book thread last week, I decided to read Superfreakonomics, since it was quick. It really was MUCH better than Freakonomics.

Also based on recs in that thread, I've started Devil in the White City. I'm kind of excited for it.

Reading Trainspotting again. Starting Ulysses again. Going to finally finish White Noise and Between A Rock And A Hard Place.

I'm working on read some classics that I never got around to before. Currently on The Divine Comedy, to be followed by Slaughterhouse 5 and Dracula. In the last couple months I've knocked out Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Catcher in the Rye, and Jane Eyre.

I'm working on read some classics that I never got around to before. Currently on The Divine Comedy, to be followed by Slaughterhouse 5 and Dracula. In the last couple months I've knocked out Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Catcher in the Rye, and Jane Eyre.

Weird; I read Dracula last week and I am on Slaughterhouse 5 this week. Read P&P a couple of months ago, Catcher in the Rye two weeks ago, and Jane Eyre just recently as well.

Breakfast of Champions. I've read Slaughterhouse 5 and Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut and enjoyed them so I figured I'd try this one too.

I'm a big fan of Vonnegut, especially Cat's Cradle. I'd recommend Armageddon in Retrospect, it gives an interesting look at his personality and sense of humor.

I did something like this too bc they're free on the Kindle app on the iPad- I went on a tear of all the classics. I re-read Water for Elephants last night so I can prepare myself for the movie. I just bought Freedom, so I'll probably start that tonight. Any thoughts on it from anyone? I was sort of hesitant to buy it for a while, but I'm not sure why since I loved The Corrections.

Edited to add: I love Jane Austen, but for some reason had never read Emma until recently. It took me like halfway through to realize it was the "Clueless" story, or should I say that Clueless was based on Emma. I felt like I had been living in a hole since 1995. Crazy stuff.

Last edited:
Just started reading "A Game of Thrones." I'm trying to crush the first book before the series starts on Sunday. I'm about 100 pages in and am really enjoying it so far.

Does anyone know how far the first season of the show will go? I have just kind of been assuming that each book will be a season, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
I just finished re-reading The Unbearable Lightness of Being b/c the movie is on Netflix streaming, and now I can watch it.

I recently read Brett Easton Ellis' new one 'Imperial Bedrooms'. Was short, and weird, but good.

Need to read Irish's book now that it's on paperback.

OGB, I cant believe you read Brideshead. My ex tricked me into that movie and I had to take a bath to get all the smarmy british gayness off me afterwards.

I enjoyed Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close but I found the main character annoying at times. I guess he needed to be very young for some of the naivete related to the story but making him so smart and opinionated just went totally beyond reality and made it harder to connect with character.

Very understandable. From a literary POV, his character serves as its own foil. His intuition/perception straddles the line with his naivete/confusion. Which is another way of saying that he's a kid, I suppose.

I think for most people, he is not the strongest character in the book, though some of his sentiments/phrases will stick with me forever (e.g. "heavy boots"). My favorite story line by far was the old couple. Such a strange tension.

Just started reading "A Game of Thrones." I'm trying to crush the first book before the series starts on Sunday. I'm about 100 pages in and am really enjoying it so far.

Does anyone know how far the first season of the show will go? I have just kind of been assuming that each book will be a season, but I'm not sure.

That's correct. At least until season 4 (assuming they get that far) where things get a little messy.

OGB, I cant believe you read Brideshead. My ex tricked me into that movie and I had to take a bath to get all the smarmy british gayness off me afterwards.

The film is super-gay, but the novel is excellent. There is a lot less homo-tension and there is no gay kiss.

I just finished a book this morning called "The Imperfectionists" by Tom Rachman. I thought it was really good. It's follows the lives of workers at a fictional English-language newspaper based in Rome. I highly recommend it.

Game of Thrones is next on my list based on the recs here. I'm currently two books in to the Hunger Games trilogy and have to finish Mockingjay before I can move on.

I found a copy of "50 Great Short Stories" in my daughters closet. I guess it was a left over from high school. I have been randomly picking a short story and so far almost everyone has been very good.

Back