• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Book/Discussion Thread

Just finished "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand. It was awesome.

Anybody read any Kafka? I'm going to Prague this summer so I figured I'd read something by him to see if I like it and if so, would give me something to look into when I'm there. Any recommendations?

I'm partial to The Penal Colony. Have you read Metamorphosis? The latter is a great, short introduction to the former.

Also, Kundera is another Czech writer worth looking into. The Book of Laughter and Forgetting and Unbearable Lightness of Being are both really good, though a bit existentially troubling.

Czech writers have their own weird sort of fantasy/magical realism probably closest to science fiction. Apparently they tell the best ghost stories in the world; at least that's what a Czech dude told me once.

Also, Kundera is another Czech writer worth looking into. The Book of Laughter and Forgetting and Unbearable Lightness of Being are both really good, though a bit existentially troubling.

Czech writers have their own weird sort of fantasy/magical realism probably closest to science fiction. Apparently they tell the best ghost stories in the world; at least that's what a Czech dude told me once.

Couldn't get into Unbearable Lightness of Being when I read it.

Anybody read any Kafka? I'm going to Prague this summer so I figured I'd read something by him to see if I like it and if so, would give me something to look into when I'm there. Any recommendations?

Yeah, Kafka's great. I like The Trial. You can probably get The Penal Colony and Metamorphosis in a collection with other short stories and letters. It's also fun to sit at the pool with a Kafka book whtil everybody else is reading John Grisham or some shit.

The Bet by Anton Chekhov is a short story that I remember reading at the same time as The Metamorphosis. Both were pretty profound to my high school mind. Need to reread both of them.

Read about a quarter of Moneyball last night per several suggestions in this thread. Fascinating read so far and I'm a bit ashamed I haven't read this earlier.

Unbearable Lightness is my jam.

Also, I prefer The Castle if we're going with the Kafka ish. It's disjointed and a real mess, but there is some stuff in there that is unbelievably good.

I'm in the middle of Middlemarch (I know wow that pun), reading the Sin City graphic novels again since it's been a few years, Between A Rock and A Hard Place and something else I can't remember right now...

I just finished Dan Brown's "Lost Symbol". It was fucking terrible. Forced is the best word I can come up with. Just awful.

After reviewing this thread, I clearly read garbage compared to the rest of you. Also read Grisham's "Last Juror" last week. First of his I'd read in years. An easy, beach type read.

Trying to get into the tipping point but not holding my interest.

After reviewing this thread, I clearly read garbage compared to the rest of you. Also read Grisham's "Last Juror" last week. First of his I'd read in years. An easy, beach type read.

Me, too. I read The Last Juror and I have no memory of what it is about. But most of Grisham's books are like that. Engaging reads with no lasting impact.

i'm reading life of pi right now... pretty good so far

I just finished The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova. It's not as exciting as the Historian, but it's also not as cheesy.

Right now I'm about 50 pages into a really weird book called The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters by Gordon Dahlquist

LilburnDeac said:
Ball State Deac wrote: After reviewing this thread, I clearly read garbage compared to the rest of you. Also read Grisham's "Last Juror" last week. First of his I'd read in years. An easy, beach type read.

Me, too. I read The Last Juror and I have no memory of what it is about. But most of Grisham's books are like that. Engaging reads with no lasting impact.

Souther town. MURDER1!1!1!-! Trial. Plot twists.

And seriously, do you people really read all this old stuff? Sounds more like a task to me.

Just finished Slaughterhouse Five, Christine de Pizan, Julian of Norwich's Revelations, and now reading Confederacy of Dunces (nor)which is awesome.

i'm reading life of pi right now... pretty good so far

Come back when you're done, I love hearing people's thoughts on this book.

And seriously, do you people really read all this old stuff? Sounds more like a task to me.

It can be, but it is so worth it in the end (for me anyway.) But I'm a nerd.

Just finished Slaughterhouse Five, Christine de Pizan, Julian of Norwich's Revelations, and now reading Confederacy of Dunces (nor)which is awesome.

I'm early in Confederacy of Dunces now but I'm having trouble getting into it.

Agent to the Stars - John Scalzi

If you liked John Dies at the End by David Wong, you'll like this book.

Back