• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Book/Discussion Thread

Delillo loves himself some fuggin baseball. I once watched the man talk about baseball for like an hour and a half. Way worse than Mark Twain when it comes to baseball

Yeah the first chapter of Underworld about the shot heard round the world ball was my fav part of the whole book.

I just finished Lovecraft Country. One of the few times I've thought the show/movie was better. Now I'm reading this crazy-ass alternate history/noir where Hitler is private eye in 1939 London and it's pretty damn captivating.

I finally finished Christendom Destroyed by Greengrass. Not one of my favorites, as I really don't care for histories that flit from topic to topic rather than telling a narrative.

Does anyone have any recommendations for single-country histories? I'm most interested in central and eastern Europe, but open to anything.

Barfield's Afghanistan was just okay - I didn't finish it but it was defs informative and seemed like a thoughtful treatment (through chp 1 at least)

Just finished Plot Against America last night and realized I really need to read some more Phillip Roth. Where do I go next?

I'd go for American Pastoral. I really liked When She Was Good as well.

Glad that I'm tuning into this for the DeLillo discussion. I'm like 40% through Libra right now and I like it so far. Some of the characters feel a little underdeveloped at this point in the story, but Lee Harvey Oswald is pretty fascinating as a character. Haven't read any DeLillo before, so I think I'm pretty sold on giving Underworld or White Noise a go sometime in the next year.

Glad that I'm tuning into this for the DeLillo discussion. I'm like 40% through Libra right now and I like it so far. Some of the characters feel a little underdeveloped at this point in the story, but Lee Harvey Oswald is pretty fascinating as a character. Haven't read any DeLillo before, so I think I'm pretty sold on giving Underworld or White Noise a go sometime in the next year.

Both are amazing. The Names is another solid option to check out.

I'm reading The Terror. Saw the miniseries, but holy shit, as much as I loved the show the book is a million times better.

I finally finished Christendom Destroyed by Greengrass. Not one of my favorites, as I really don't care for histories that flit from topic to topic rather than telling a narrative.

Does anyone have any recommendations for single-country histories? I'm most interested in central and eastern Europe, but open to anything.

Not necessarily a history, although there is a ton of history woven through it, but I would highly recommend Labyrinth of Solitude by Octavio Paz. It gets more at the question of what Mexico is and, imo, is an essential text for understanding Mexico and Latin America, in general.

And since you said you're most interested in central and eastern Europe, I'd give The Thaw Generation a look. Not a comprehensive history of Russia, but it's a really great account of the history of Soviet dissidents and the generation that came of age in a post-Stalin USSR.

Anyone who wants to relive their favorite Bob Dole memories should read Trail Fever by Michael Lewis about the 1996 Republican Primary. Fascinating look back, about the Republican party at that time and compared to now, as well as Bob Dole's campaign strategy.

Picked up The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles and it’s a very fun, fast-paced read despite the length.

It's hard to beat Michener's Poland for the history of Poland. Of course, it ends before you get Lech Walesa, and the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Just finished the final book, 9, of The Expanse. Until Game of Thrones is finished, this tops my list for best series of all time. They stuck a nearly impossible ending, and each book was great.

Bought myself several pleasure reads for Christmas to encourage myself to pleasure read next year. Will report back.

Anyone want to guess a couple:

Pulitzer/NBA winner's new novel about Harlem crime

paperback anthology of a French detective

Back