• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Book/Discussion Thread

I’m about 2/3 of the way through The Great Influenza about the 1918 pandemic by John M Barry and it’s absolutely phenomenal. It takes some time to really get going as he does the thorough and necessary work of providing context around our understanding of infectious disease at the time. So many fascinating parallels with the covid pandemic — explosive spread, insufficient medical resources, etc. Just tremendously well researched and vivid writing.

Next on deck for me is Candice Millard’s River of the Gods about the search for the source of the Nile. Her book The River of Doubt about Theodore Roosevelt’s journey through the Amazon is another of my all time favorites.

Just finished "Detransition, Baby"

I believe it's the first book by a trans person I've read, though not the first with a significant trans cast of characters

Makes me feel (belatedly, I know) that i read too much cis white guy writing

It was a great mix of sad, hilarious, dramatic, and thoughtful

Another in a somewhat similar vein or at least with a brilliant LGBT through line this year was Girl, Woman, Other

Felt the same about "Detransition, Baby"

Last few books I read:
"People from my Neighborhood" Hiromi Kawakami
"Can't Hurt Me" David Goggins
"Endurance" Alfred Lansing
"Year Book" Seth Rogen
"MAUS" Art Speigelman
"Cloud Cuckoo Land" Anthony Doerr (previously mentioned)

Currently reading: "White Jazz" by James Ellroy

Last edited:
Year Book was very entertaining too.

I'm currently really digging both 4 3 2 1 by Paul Auster (audiobook) and Ghost Story by Peter Straub (physical book). Next up I have Outline by Rachel Cusk.

Salman Rushdie attack is pretty crazy

all the violence around those assoicated with translating his book is crazy too

just finished the collection of three novels from Yuri Herrera

one of the best modern authors writing now imo

the translation work was masterful too

So I’d never read any Hemingway and so I recently read The Sun Also Rises. Took a little while for it to get going (if it ever really does) and to get used to his writing style, but after finishing it I think I liked it. Will likely try another one of his books soon. Anyone got any recommendations for the next one to pick up?

Next up I have Outline by Rachel Cusk.

I liked it

Thanks for these recommendations. Read Outline and Signs Preceding the End of the World in the past week. Enjoyed both.

Outline - thought more was being made of the "innovative" style than was there. But enjoyed all of the observations and insights that came up in the conversations.
Signs - loved the language and imagery throughout. One of the very few books I've read where I wished it was longer.

So I’d never read any Hemingway and so I recently read The Sun Also Rises. Took a little while for it to get going (if it ever really does) and to get used to his writing style, but after finishing it I think I liked it. Will likely try another one of his books soon. Anyone got any recommendations for the next one to pick up?

The Old Man and the Sea is short. It also can be viewed as an allegory for Papa's career, which is sad to think about.

Thanks for these recommendations. Read Outline and Signs Preceding the End of the World in the past week. Enjoyed both.

Outline - thought more was being made of the "innovative" style than was there. But enjoyed all of the observations and insights that came up in the conversations.
Signs - loved the language and imagery throughout. One of the very few books I've read where I wished it was longer.

Signs is the middle of the three novels in the book I talked about here

if you liked Signs then you'll like the other two

https://www.andotherstories.org/three-novels/

Recent reads I’ll recommend:

Crying in H Mart - Michelle Zauner
The Only Good Indians - Stephen Graham Jones *
Ghost Story - Peter Straub (RIP)
Beautiful World, Where Are You? - Sally Rooney
Such a Fun Age - Kiley Reid
Nothing to See Here - Kevin Wilson
In a Dark, Dark Wood - Rachel Ware
Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow - Gabrielle Levin *
Severance - Ling Ma

I’ll especially recommend the two starred here. The first is ostensibly a horror story, but it’s more a psychological, trippy novel where you’re not entirely sure what’s real. The latter is a beautiful story of friendship, I don’t want to say much more.

I was just reading about “Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow” yesterday because that’s the title of the episode of “The Orville” I happen to be on. I bought it because it sounded interesting, so glad to see it starred on your list.

It sounds a little like Michael Chabon’s: “The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay”.

Last edited:
As you likely know, the title comes from Macbeth. Or The Scottish Play if you prefer.

Dog Biscuits

60748257._SX300_.jpg

Just started The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolano.

I'm reading Invisible Circus by Jennifer Egan and it's not bad, but there is this family of books by authors like Egan (Goon Squad excluded), Eugenides, and the like that have the same structure, mid-century period setting, and general tone that all feel a little worn

Just finished Big Sur by Kerouac- any Kerouac fans here?

Yeah, I really enjoyed Dharma Bums and Desolation Angels. DB because I have always had a soft spot for Gary Snyder and Alan Watts. DA because it I think gives the real side of that circle for many within it. Ie DB is his interpretation of Buddhism from the hedonsistic nihlist bent moving to DA where we see his grappling with what can become of some one when their interpretation of Buddhism follows that line.

Last edited:
I love Dharma Bums, think that's by far the best of his I've read. I had a high school thing for On The Road, like I'm sure a bunch of others did, but I read Dharma Bums in the last 10 years and it really stood out. Agree with the Snyder/Watts love.

Back