Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Thread: Pit Book/Discussion Thread

Rusty Larue
    I'm reading Redbreast by Jo Nesbo right now. A friend told me it was a good mystery book but I think it is dragging hard 45% of the way through.

Quote Originally Posted by seventwofour View Post
    I scooped up the LaValle and Bell on account of Townie's recs at the library the other day, as well as Nabokov The Gift. Started Big Machine.

I remember a discussion here about the different translations for the Brothers Karamazov (as part of a larger discussion about Russian translations in general) and somebody advocated a certain translation pretty strongly. Anybody remember which translator?
    I love Brothers K. Although I have read it in a few different translations

cookout = blabbermouth?
    New Christopher Buckley book coming out in May! They Eat Puppies, Don't They?

I am in the middle of a few books right now.

Game of Thrones, Catch-22, and Nelson Mandela's A Long Walk To Freedom

Big Machine: disappointing

The Curfew: really liked it

Quote Originally Posted by seventwofour View Post
    Big Machine: disappointing

The Curfew: really liked it
    I guess 1/2 isn't bad.

Big Machine got crazy awesome reviews, but the pacing was a bit slow for how crazy the plot eventually gets. It helped me that I met Victor and got a signed copy at McNally's in New York., even though bro talked to me like I was a little child the whole time.

It was a strange book. The first half intrigues you, but then I felt like a lot of the resolutions were pretty flat. The story is kind of silly, but fun, I guess. I wasn't wild with the use of first-person narrative either.

I recently picked up Lonesome Dove on the clearance rack at my local book store for $2.00. Never saw the mini-series. I'm not really into westerns, but it won the Pulitzer, so thought it was worth the read. I'm about halfway through and I'm really liking it.

Most recently finished Empire Falls by Richard Russo, another Pulitzer winner. It was tremendous. I'm going to pick up another Russo book soon.

Empire Falls is fantastic. I love that book.

Bernie Eskimo Bro
    Townie, you read Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, correct? I'm nearing the half-way point and absolutely loving it so far. Just a totally unique novel with near flawless execution; I hope the second parts of the stories can tie everything together.

Anyone read anything else by Mitchell that is worth checking out? Ghostwritten, Number9dream, The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet?

Quote Originally Posted by timdunkandthefunk View Post
    I'm reading Redbreast by Jo Nesbo right now. A friend told me it was a good mystery book but I think it is dragging hard 45% of the way through.
    i liked it, especially the nazi/wwII ties. That says, i havent read any of the other harry hole books (worst name in english ever, lolz). In the same vein (WWII stuff affecting modern day murders) i really like A Small Death in Lisbon by Robert Wilson.

Re-reading How to Win Friends (taking a lot more notes this time), and starting up Brave New World.

Quote Originally Posted by DreaminDeacon View Post
    Townie, you read Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, correct? I'm nearing the half-way point and absolutely loving it so far. Just a totally unique novel with near flawless execution; I hope the second parts of the stories can tie everything together.

Anyone read anything else by Mitchell that is worth checking out? Ghostwritten, Number9dream, The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet?
    Cloud Atlas is all I know by him. I won't say anything about the ending, but I love that book dearly. I've heard it's his masterpiece and nothing else measures up, but I imagine I would like his other stuff as well.

Fans of Cloud Atlas should also check out David Foster Wallace. Infinite Jest is a monumental work, but like Gravity's Rainbow, is worth as much as you're willing to put into it. His short stories are much easier, especially Brief Interviews with Hideous Men, which I think they made a movie out of.

Quote Originally Posted by deac29 View Post
    I recently picked up Lonesome Dove on the clearance rack at my local book store for $2.00. Never saw the mini-series. I'm not really into westerns, but it won the Pulitzer, so thought it was worth the read. I'm about halfway through and I'm really liking it.

Most recently finished Empire Falls by Richard Russo, another Pulitzer winner. It was tremendous. I'm going to pick up another Russo book soon.
    Lonesome Dove is a great book (way better than the miniseries, which I also enjoy).

I am finishing up Room probably tonight.

Rusty Larue
    I'm reading the Wool Omnibus right now and really enjoying it. I'm on Wool 5. Has anyone else checked it out?

Has anyone read the new John Irving book, In One Person? I am a big Irving fan but not sure if this is one I would want to read.

Finished Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being last week.

I understand this book to be rather polarizing, so I thought I'd gauge the opinions here.

I found it to be a bit underwhelming on the whole, but utterly brilliant at times.

Now I'm beginning to forge through the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation of Dostoevsky's The Idiot.

I bought Steven Pinker's Better Angels of Our Nature last month, and I'm hoping to delve into it once I'm finished with Dostoevsky.

I'm on the meh side of the fence for Unbearable Lightness.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityDeac View Post
    Finished Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being last week.

I understand this book to be rather polarizing, so I thought I'd gauge the opinions here.

I found it to be a bit underwhelming on the whole, but utterly brilliant at times.
    Almost unbearably light on content if you will, but like always, Kundera is all over some language. Apparently his favorite translation is to Russian, where he says it really expresses itself most fully.