• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Book/Discussion Thread

Anyone ever get into the 33 1/3 series from Bloomsbury?

The project is a series where authors write about albums. Here's a list of their titles: link.

The most recent one is on Fear of Music (Talking Heads), written by my BOI, Jonathan Lethem. Hoping it ships soon.

Anyone ever get into the 33 1/3 series from Bloomsbury?

The project is a series where authors write about albums. Here's a list of their titles: link.

The most recent one is on Fear of Music (Talking Heads), written by my BOI, Jonathan Lethem. Hoping it ships soon.

BRO I CALLED FIRST MANCRUSH ON LETHEM! BACK OFF

En Espanol? Really tough read in Spanish for me, but one of my favorite books.

Enjoyed 100 Years, though I was kind of creeped out by it, particularly the ending. Would love to tackle it in Spanish, but I doubt my proficiency, which has been in a steady and monumental decline since my graduation, ever reaches that point.

Currently reading Pale Fire by Nabokov. Very interesting, though I feel like I'm missing half of what he's trying to accomplish and will have to go back and reread.

Currently reading Pale Fire by Nabokov. Very interesting, though I feel like I'm missing half of what he's trying to accomplish and will have to go back and reread.

Read it once, then get an annotated edition and go through it a second time. That is definitely the best way to do Nabokov.

I'm reading The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. Really excellent novel set during the Vietnam War. First read it in middle school so am revisiting in hopes of having a greater appreciation of the work.

i want to go back and re-read everything i read in high school, including heart of darkness... which to this day remains to be the only book i've been assigned that i didn't read in its entirety.

I'm strongly considering trying to read Esquire's list of "The 75 Books Every Man Should Read" in its entirety.

Mentioned on the chat thread, but I just finished Ready Player One, and have just begun The Art of Fielding. Welcome to 2011, Say Hey Deac!

I really like that Esquire list. I've read over half of them, and know most all of the others/have been meaning to read them. Nicely done by Esquire.

Wow, that is a great list. I've read a little fewer than half of them. I've got about four of those on my shelf queued up to go, as well. Unfortunately, I never have time for pleasure reading.

I'm reading The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. Really excellent novel set during the Vietnam War. First read it in middle school so am revisiting in hopes of having a greater appreciation of the work.

I read O'Brien's Going After Cacciato in high school and have been meaning to revisit it as well. One of those books for which I can't remember the plot very well, but several scenes have stuck with me because of their power.

Slate's Top Ten of 2012: http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/...utiful_forevers_bring_up_the_bodies_wild.html

I read Behind the Beautiful Forevers and really enjoyed it. Much better than most books in the human interest/humanitarian crisis genre. My girlfriend got me Zadie Smith's NW and Junot Diaz's This Is How You Lose Her a few weeks back. I haven't read them yet or much else from 2012. Anybody have good recs from this year?

I just finished "As Good As Gold" by Kathryn Bertine. If you have a female athlete in your life, I highly recommend it.
She was contracted by ESPN to go the 2008 Olympics in whatever sport she could get in doing, and the book is her quest to do it. Pretty entertaining, a good gift book.

Have any of you read the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson? Hard science fiction is really interesting to me these days. I'm about 1/4 of the way through Green Mars and the terraforming science is fascinating to me.

Back