• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Book/Discussion Thread

OldGoldBeard

A Sorry WR Like Crabtree
Reaction score
Using our shiny new search function, I determined that such a thread has not yet been created, so here we are.

Yesterday, I completed Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn "I am not a chick" Waugh (said in Richard Nixon voice.) Pretty good, but the plot was a little dull and the protagonist kind of an ass near the end, so I wouldn't put it up with the top tier.

Couple of weeks before that, I knocked out The Siege of Charleston by Milby Burton. Fairly informative, but poorly written and organized.

Currently working on The Railroads of the Confederacy by Robert Black. Not far enough into it to render an opinion.

What's everybody else reading?

Now you just have to read 'Vile Bodies', and I will let you off the hook.

Netflix has sadly destroyed my reading schedule of late. I need to pick "Everything is Illuminated" back up.

I had a scare with my Kindle recently. I thought I had lost it in the process of moving. With paper books, if I misplaced something the size of a Kindle, I would only lose one book, instead of all my books.

I'm reading A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again by David Foster Wallace. I'm having a little bit of a hard time getting into it. Just read the Omnivores Dilemma, which was interesting. Before that I knocked out Invitation to a Beheading and Notes from Underground.

Picked up a biography/collection of essays written on Mark Rothko. Should be awesome for the beach.

I had a scare with my Kindle recently. I thought I had lost it in the process of moving. With paper books, if I misplaced something the size of a Kindle, I would only lose one book, instead of all my books.

They should start storing those suckers in their new snazzy cloud player. Should solve that problem.

edit: by 'they' I mean Amazon

I have at least 30 books waiting on me to part their pages when this semester is over. All scifi/zombie/werewolf/vampire/other supernatural creatures. I like creepy shit.

I've started buying up a bunch of odd Chicago books that I want to read when the summer begins. One is a rahter fascinating collection of old short stories that used to appear in the Chicago Daily News in 1921. It was a regular column, and the guy would just write small caricatures of urban life in the jazz age.

It's basically good coffee table reading, but I enjoy the guy's prose.

The Jim Nance book (Always By My Side) is really good, much better than you might expect. It covers stuff on Fred Couples and the Houston golf team but is mostly about spending time with his dad and his battle with alzheimers. Some funny stuff about Faldo.

Now you just have to read 'Vile Bodies', and I will let you off the hook.

Yeah, right. I might--might, I say--read A Handful of Dust at some point.

Now at 39 of the Modern Library's top 100.

i keep getting interrupted, but working on the Omnivore's Dilemma. very interesting so far. then i'm going to puruse the book store... kind of want to re-read some classics (pride and prejudice, catcher in the rye, the great gatsby).

This seems like the right place to post this...

If you are near a Borders that is going out of business go there immediately! They have some really good deals. Everything in the store is at least 50% off. Wife and I stocked up and even purchased Rosetta Stone French Level 1.

Right now I am reading (picked up at Borders) History in a Glass: Sixty Years of Wine Writing from Gourmet. It is a collection of wine writings in Gourmet Magazine going back as far as 1940. Too early to tell but seems interesting.

I just finished Vertical (the follow up to Sideways...it was a book before it was a movie). I did not like the book overall but the ending was one of the emotional endings of a book I have ever read. For that I give it a C, C+.

In my queue is: barabrians at the gate, atlas shrugged, too big to fail and the big short.

I will probably read Tender is the Night by F. Scott next. At some point I want to get to Stephen King's most recent short story collection Full Dark, No Stars. Has anybody read it yet? I haven't really heard much. He's been way off his game for over a decade now, sadly.

Breakfast of Champions. I've read Slaughterhouse 5 and Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut and enjoyed them so I figured I'd try this one too.

Back