• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Book/Discussion Thread

Also Ted Chiang's short stories are excellent. I really enjoyed Exhalation.

Any other series in this area that y’all think are a must read? I’ve thought about reading a few Discworld books. Read American Gods by Gaiman and didn’t really enjoy it as much as a lot of others seem to

Dark Tower series if you're down with the King. Book 1 can be a slog, but it's pretty short. The rest are much easier and enjoyable reads, especially if you've read enough of him to get some of the references (but are by no means required).

I liked three body but it didn’t really make me wanna read the rest of the series

if it helps, i think the first book was my least favorite of the series/slowest to get through

Also reading a lot during quarantine and got on a bit of a fantasy kick. Finished the Malazan series over the last 9 months or so. I’m going to take a break before reading the two available prequel books. If you love epic fantasy and are willing to invest in a long, dense series Malazan is well worth it. The author is an anthropologist by training and it shows in his examination and treatment of society and the lore.

Also read the two Kingkiller Chronicle books that are out, The Color of Law about systemic racial issues, white fragility, A Room With a View (not for me but it was on my shelf and I hadn’t read it).

Currently working on the Traitor Baru Cormorant and when this is done will finish the First Law trilogy. I primarily got into the First Law because I kept reading Best Served Cold is one of the best standalone novels in the fantasy genre but you really need to knock out the trilogy first. Definitely enjoying the series though.

i wish i had waited to do the kingkiller books.. now i just want him to write the rest of the series

If you haven't read the Machineries of Empire series, seems like you'd like it based on these other books you're mentioning. cookoutdeac has been pushing me to check out the Hyperion Cantos. I still have a decent stack on my bookshelf to get through.

hyperion cantos is so good, i think about it all the time, years after reading it.. will probably do a re-read soon just to confirm i still feel that way about it

i'd also rec the imperial radch series by ann leckie, ancillary justice, ancillay sword, ancillary mercy.. those were really good too IMO, think she's the only person to ever win all 3 of the hugo/nebula/clarke awards for the same novel

If you enjoy science fiction I'd recommend Isaac Asimov. IIRC, he wrote a series of 16-18 novels that are interconnected but each are enjoyable on their own. As an entire collection they are a/the masterpiece of science fiction. They span 100,000+ years.

I'm reading A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again by David Foster Wallace. I'm having a little bit of a hard time getting into it. Just read the Omnivores Dilemma, which was interesting. Before that I knocked out Invitation to a Beheading and Notes from Underground.

I am almost done with A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again and I have not enjoyed it much. I thought I would. It is my first DFW.

The Professional (fictional book about boxing) is phenomenal.

Finished Open and Jackpot at the beach last week. Interesting insight into Agassi as told by him, obviously. Jackpot is about the SC Gentleman drug smugglers. Great beach read.

I'm currently working my way through The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen. It's a good book, and beautifully written, but after 4 Stephen King Novels in a row it is a pretty slow go. Doesn't help that his paragraphs extend pages at times. Still, it has the funniest sexual awakening/squid masturbation scene I think I've ever read.

Blaze(Bachman book)
Sleeping Beauties
The Institute
Elevation

I am now a Stephen King completist.

Nice. I haven't gotten to those yet. How is The Institute?

I'm currently working through the Bill Hodges trilogy. Finders Keepers was pretty meh, but the ending got me excited for the finale.

Nice. I haven't gotten to those yet. How is The Institute?

I'm currently working through the Bill Hodges trilogy. Finders Keepers was pretty meh, but the ending got me excited for the finale.

I really dug End of Watch. Probably my favorite out of the trilogy. I liked The Institute a lot. King writes his kid characters extremely well, and I thought it was one of the more thematically resonant pieces his written in his twilight period. He has a lot to say about bureaucratic inertia in the novel. It ain't subtle, but it's effective.

as in only fine, not great

you're right that it drags a bit and the story structure is pretty basic

but there are enough interesting moments to make it not a waste of time

Finished it today. Not quite sure why it made so many top novels of the decade lists. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't revelatory or anything.

Finished it today. Not quite sure why it made so many top novels of the decade lists. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't revelatory or anything.

I read about 40 pages before some books I had on hold at the library became available. Not sure I’ll go back to it after reading these posts.

it definitely seemed to target the NPR set and I'm sure a lot its appeal was the unique circumstances of the narrator

but agreed, nothing special

Pick my next book for me Bookbuddies-

A Visit from the Goon Squad or The Man in the High Castle?

Back