• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

George Zimmerman

Plenty of evidence points to a spate of robberies in Zimmerman's neighborhood since 2009 and ALL the perpetrators described are 15-17 year old black teens.

That's why the community "elected" George. George had ridden with the police as part of a community program. He is on record as complaining about the officer he rode with. He was appalled to find out that the officer did what he wanted and took pains to avoid anything that looked like police work. He complained that the officer took 2 naps and 2 lunch breaks while on patrol.

No,no, no...this ain't a real story on race or hate crimes. We have no hero. There is no Steve Biko or Medgar Evers... This actually has served to hinder the examination of plenty of true hate crimes committed against African Americans. This has been a sham worthy of Thomas Wolfe and his conflagration of vanities.

No...George Zimmerman is no hero...he's just a guy living in a neighborhood ravaged by foreclosure and petty thievery - he witnessed first hand and in subsequent calls the police futility -- hence the "they always get away with it" because - guess what? "They" always did.

Should I be able to chase anyone I want in the dark and the rain because that person "might" be bad?

It sounds like you'd like to live in a police state or vigilante state.

George was also told NOT to approach Trayvon. George decided he was above the police in a matter where there was no imminent danger to anyone.

There is no legitimate excuse for what he did. His actions were directly opposite to the rules of community patrols and the police.

He is the absolute cause of Trayvon's death. To try to justify his actions is despicable.

Many a heinous crime has been committed while in the act of burglarizing someone.

Read the account (of many) from the neighborhood. The one where the lady was locked with her kids in a room upstairs while the robbers made off with the tv and other items from the living room.George was contacted and visited with the family and listened. These are the stories you will hear about George the neighbor...

Really, attempting to paint George as a vigilante is not only laughable but shameful. If he is a vigilante then he must be the Steve Bartman of vigilantism.

He waved off the cops and took matters into his own hands. That's a vigilante.

(Why did we need another thread about this?)

Yea, I don't blame you.

You were served up a heaping helping from an editorial board with an axe to grind (Fla. Law) and delivered to you by the estimable "Q-rating" they call Wolf Blitzer.

So you jumped in with both feet and there you are...

Tough spot...but the first honorable act is to backdown from a phony position and assess the situation from a spot much nearer reality.

Which he is. Trayvon's death is 100% Gorge Zimmerman's doing. He was told NOT to get out of the car , NOT to follow him.

What happened any other time is totally irrelevant.

His disobedient actions directly caused the death of Trayvon Martin.

You REFUSE to listen to a time stamped witness. You REFUSE to listen to the fact that Zimmerman said he "lost" Trayvon which means he was trying to confront him.

The reality is George Zimmerman's disobeying 911, stalking Trayvon and confronting him led directly to the death of Trayvon Martin.

It was Trayvon who had the right to stand his ground against a pursuer. How anyone can justify Zimmerman's actions is beyond any rational logic.

Many a heinous crime has been committed while in the act of burglarizing someone.

Read the account (of many) from the neighborhood. The one where the lady was locked with her kids in a room upstairs while the robbers made off with the tv and other items from the living room.George was contacted and visited with the family and listened. These are the stories you will hear about George the neighbor...

Really, attempting to paint George as a vigilante is not only laughable but shameful. If he is a vigilante then he must be the Steve Bartman of vigilantism.

you've made it out to be like it's a given that TM was one of those kids. you realize that he didn't actually even live in the town, right? he was there visiting with his dad. he wasn't buddy-buddy with the kids responsible for the break-ins.

Yea, I don't blame you.

You were served up a heaping helping from an editorial board with an axe to grind (Fla. Law) and delivered to you by the estimable "Q-rating" they call Wolf Blitzer.

So you jumped in with both feet and there you are...

Tough spot...but the first honorable act is to backdown from a phony position and assess the situation from a spot much nearer reality.

I can't believe Lectro of all people is posting this. Seriously. Lectro.

Lectro, I'm not sure what your point is. Zimmerman watched. Then decided he had to do more. He killed a kid. It was an unnecessary killing even if it ends up being fine under the law.

Lectro, he was told by his neighborhood watch not to carry a weapon.

He was told by the dispatch not to pursue Martin.

the girlfriend confirmed he stalked Martin causing him to run away.

He fucked up.

Probably not a bad guy, but he fucked up majorly. Not a racist, just a paranoid dude who got swept up in some shit he had no business getting that deep into.

Rather a smug view and clearly not one held by people who have been robbed.

Certainly not the way those folks were feeling -- and yes, Shoo, if you are of age where you have bought a home and seen it's value shring to a 1/4 and then you are having your shit routinely cribbed then, yes, all of that plays into community frustration, police ineffectiveness and subsequently George being chosen as community watch.

I can't believe Lectro of all people is posting this. Seriously. Lectro.

Lectro, I'm not sure what your point is. Zimmerman watched. Then decided he had to do more. He killed a kid. It was an unnecessary killing even if it ends up being fine under the law.

An excellent point.

You are fucking amazing. There was no claim of Trayvon stealing anything. It was 100% vigilantism.

Plus George broke EVERY rule of neighborhood watch.

You are fucking amazing. There was no claim of Trayvon stealing anything. It was 100% vigilantism.

Plus George broke EVERY rule of neighborhood watch.

Out of curiosity, is there any legal ramification to this? Or, is this brought up to argue that GZ was taking matters into his own hands, etc etc?

Ok. I'll allow your take of things.

What do you make of the Administration directing the FBI to consider charging George with a hate crime?

Certainly not the way those folks were feeling -- and yes, Shoo, if you are of age where you have bought a home and seen it's value shring to a 1/4 and then you are having your shit routinely cribbed then, yes, all of that plays into community frustration, police ineffectiveness and subsequently George being chosen as community watch.

So Trayvon Martin deserved to die because other people robbed houses.

I've been robbed. I owned a home in the 'bad' side of West End off Broad street in downtown Winston for four years. I had bums pissing in my yard, cars and neighbors houses broken into, heard gunshots a couple of times a month.

I got an alarm system and I kept a shotgun under the bed, that's it. no vigilante. no shooting kids

Back