• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

George Zimmerman

The question becomes, "Do these two independent lies harm the core of his defense and credibility?"

His entire defense is "believe me".

If he'll lie directly to the judge, it enforces that he would about the incident.

i don't think the multiple passports thing is THAT far-fetched. i could see myself losing a passport, desperately needing one soon-ish (therefore not having time to wait for it to just turn up), getting a new one, and finding the old one after that.

that said, lying about it was just stupid stupid stupid.

Problem is that Zimmerman applied for the second passport two weeks after shooting Travon. Wonder why he would need a passport then? Hard to argue he's not a flight risk given the timing.

Les, how is this information allowed to influence a jury?

FL doesn't have some insane rules that actions by a defendant in the case, after it has started can be excluded, does it?

The question becomes, "Do these two independent lies harm the core of his defense and credibility?"

His entire defense is "believe me".

If he'll lie directly to the judge, it enforces that he would about the incident.

They are irrelevant and independent from the case. It will not be admissible.

How is telling lies to the judge in an aspect of the case irrelevant?

It's a question the judge asked. He can be held in contempt of court for it according to CNN.

Les, how is this information allowed to influence a jury?

The fact that Zimmerman lied during the bond hearing about how much money he had and his second passport would NEVER come before a jury in any state or in any jurisdiction.

The jury has one question to decide: Did Zimmerman murder Martin. The fact that Zimmerman lied about his finances or his passports has nothing to do with answering that question. Those lies are called "other bad acts" under the evidence code. There are VERY limited circumstances when other bad acts are allowed into evidence. None of those exceptions come close to fitting here. It's not even a close call and I'd be shocked if the prosecution tried to bring it into evidence.

Zimmerman can most certainly be held in contempt for lying to the judge, though. However, that's kind of a moot point now. He already had his bond revoked and is stuck in jail now. Personally, I think that was the judge's way of holding him in contempt without having to deal with a contempt hearing.

Wait a second. During the bail hearing, they said that they could use the testimony of the cop in the trial. How can they use his testimony but not Zimmerman's statement?

They can use statements that are related to the murder. How much money Zimmerman has, and the fact he lied about it, is not related to the issue of whether or not Zimmerman was justified in killing Martin.

Getting the second passport is a bigger deal to me.

If his entire case is self-defense, is this the rare instance where a defendant almost has to take the stand?

Even if he takes the stand that information isn't going to come out unless his lawyer is an idiot.

How about to impeach his credibility?

"Mr. Zimmerman, this case is about you telling the truth. Do you always tell the truth to the authorities?"

Back