• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

George Zimmerman

Lectro

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Seems George showed up (a year or so ago) at a public forum and castigated the local police department "for covering up a crime committed against a homeless black man." George claimed, in his public statement, that the perpetrator was "not charged because he was the white son of a police officer."

Comments?

Good to see you back, Lec. Any hype for us on the upcoming season? I miss seeing your posts on the sports board.

No, I disagree strongly. This guy deserves his own thread.

I believe he has been grossly mis-characterized. And that is an understatement.

My "..." was more at the idea of RJ calling someone out for a "one thought one thread."

You need to say something.

I don't blame you...I blame the 24 hour news cycle with its need for velocity and condensation in turning out product.

This was not much more than a Rorshach test where the requisite images and incindiary language were used to feed a tweetering band of twits into the appropriate knee-jerk response.

Sad, because many of the best and brightest piled right in.

Yep a yahoo who said, "they always get away with everything" then went after a kid with Skittles and iced tea.

Very simply if Zimmerman hadn't been an asshole, Tayvon Martin would be alive.

There's no way around the fact that had Zimmerman listened to the police that he wouldn't have killed Trayvon.

Trying to justify what he did is an abomination.

It doesn't matter. Ok, he used good judgement standing up for the homeless black man.

The night he killed Trayvon Martin, he killed an unarmed minor. Pretty serious shit. Self-defense, maybe, but he followed the minor through the darkness and ignored the advice of law enforcement personnel and his neighborhood watch instruction manual. He scared the hell out of this kid unnecessarily. Zimmerman claims he looked suspicious and might rob a house.

So basically, to protect some bicycles and iPods from being stolen from some houses, Zimmerman believed he needed to stalk kids in the neighborhood with a gun. Bad judgement

Reactions: ITK
Here's my opinion of Zimmerman:

1) He's a profiler, not necessarily a racist. I think there were some black dudes stealing stuff in the neighborhood; he saw a black guy who he hadn't seen before and immediately believed he must be one of the dudes stealing shit.
2) he was on a power trip and he was way out of his depth; he did not know what to do with a gun; he did not know how to handle himself in a fight; turns out he thought he was tough but he was a pussy.
3) he is not a hero; he is not a victim
4) he belongs in jail

Yea, he was "profiling" Trayvon because Trayvon was casing his next home to burglarize.

Since we are going to allow all manner of extrapolations with regard to what George has said and done let's now have "Come to Jesus" moment concerning Trayvon. Trayvon was not suspended (the 2nd of 3) for having in his possession a long handle flat screw driver and a bag of jewels because his mother thought it might make for a nutritious lunch. He had turned to petty crime and was on his way down a well worn path to state youth detention...

Trayvon Martin was no "innocent minor".

It doesn't matter. Ok, he used good judgement standing up for the homeless black man.

The night he killed Trayvon Martin, he killed an unarmed minor. Pretty serious shit. Self-defense, maybe, but he followed the minor through the darkness and ignored the advice of law enforcement personnel and his neighborhood watch instruction manual. He scared the hell out of this kid unnecessarily. Zimmerman claims he looked suspicious and might rob a house.

So basically, to protect some bicycles and iPods from being stolen from some houses, Zimmerman believed he needed to stalk kids in the neighborhood with a gun. Bad judgement

There is no evidence of this that I am aware of.

Yea, he was "profiling" Trayvon because Trayvon was casing his next home to burglarize.

Since we are going to allow all manner of extrapolations with regard to what George has said and done let's now have "Come to Jesus" moment concerning Trayvon. Trayvon was not suspended (the 2nd of 3) for having in his possession a long handle flat screw driver and a bag of jewels because his mother thought it might make for a nutritious lunch. He had turned to petty crime and was on his way down a well worn path to state youth detention...

There's no evidence whatsoever that Trayvon was "casing" anything. There is indisputable evidence that Trayvon was on a phone call with his girlfriend when Zimmerman approached him.

You have come back in as disgusting a manner as you left.

There is no way to dismiss that had Zimmerman had acted in the manner proscribed by the 911 operator that Trayvon would be alive today.

You are doing obscene gymnastics to justify the actions of a vigilante who had called 911 four dozen times. What happened to Trayvon was going to happen to somebody with an armed Zimmerman on the prowl. It was just a matter of time.

There is no evidence of this -- to Zimmerman he was just a black kid walking down the street. Zimmerman had no idea who he was or that he had been suspended from school.

Even if he was casing a home (though there is no evidence of that), that does not justify Zimmerman's actions.

There is no evidence of this that I am aware of.

Yes there is, the girlfriend on the phone gave a statement to police that he said he was being followed and she told him to run, which he did. that's what scared people do, they run. Zimmerman in his statement said he had run away from him, that he had "lost him."

Plenty of evidence points to a spate of robberies in Zimmerman's neighborhood since 2009 and ALL the perpetrators described are 15-17 year old black teens.

That's why the community "elected" George. George had ridden with the police as part of a community program. He is on record as complaining about the officer he rode with. He was appalled to find out that the officer did what he wanted and took pains to avoid anything that looked like police work. He complained that the officer took 2 naps and 2 lunch breaks while on patrol.

No,no, no...this ain't a real story on race or hate crimes. We have no hero. There is no Steve Biko or Medgar Evers... This actually has served to hinder the examination of plenty of true hate crimes committed against African Americans. This has been a sham worthy of Thomas Wolfe and his conflagration of vanities.

No...George Zimmerman is no hero...he's just a guy living in a neighborhood ravaged by foreclosure and petty thievery - he witnessed first hand and in subsequent calls the police futility -- hence the "they always get away with it" because - guess what? "They" always did.

suspicion of burglary is not a reason to chase/follow people through the night with a gun. It's just stuff. There was not a spate of rapes, armed robberies, assaults, or murders in the neighborhood that concerned Zimmerman. There was a spate of burglaries. That justifies at the most a neighborhood watch and a call to 911 when suspicious persons are spotted - not armed vigilantism.

He used bad judgement, and an unarmed kid died.

When i was a teenager I walked through all the yards in my neighborhood at night. We cut through and had shortcuts everywhere. We also had neighborhood watch because bikes and lawn furniture were stolen frequently. My buddies and I wore heavy metal tshirts and all that shit, acted tough, etc. If someone started following me I would have hauled ass too. If he caught up with me and started to confront me I would have defended myself with my fists too. So its ok to shoot me dead?

Back