• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bball Recruiting Megathread: Devin Mitchell on campus

STONZ, apparently there are some people who don't understand the English language.

I want to make certain you understood, "Thanks for trying" actually means what I said which is "thanks for trying to make it easier for all of us to read".

You can't it a "miss" unless the player actually visited our campus.

Lots of players get offers without ever being interested in the school.

The second one is slightly better than the first but still tiny. Thanks for trying.

If we want a player and can't even get him to come on campus then that sounds like a miss to me.

TBR, the reason it's not a miss is the player has to have interest in Wake. Coaches routinely send offers to players they don't they will get just in case getting the offer triggers something.

I think there needs to be mutual interest before it's a miss.

Would it be a miss if you emailed Scarlett Johansson an invitation for a weekend in Vegas if she didn't reply?

A perfect example of my point is Marquis Teague. We offered knowing we had no chance.

Brand new basketball recruiting thread. Beginnings of same old non-recruiting arguments. Glad i got a new mouse with the little scrolling wheel on it.

Unfortunately, a new recruiting thread doesn't change the fact that we still have the same coach.

According to the twitter machine, we offered Miles Overton. Do we know if that has changed?

I found a tweet from the RecruitScoop from April 10th saying that we offered, but I haven't seen anything in an article or a recruiting site. So I really don't know. Wouldn't surprise me if we did. He is planning to visit soon (about the only kid we can say that about).

We've offered Jajuan Johnson.

Yep. Good call. Will be included in the next update.

TBR, the reason it's not a miss is the player has to have interest in Wake. Coaches routinely send offers to players they don't they will get just in case getting the offer triggers something.

I think there needs to be mutual interest before it's a miss.

To me its a miss anytime we offer and the player commits elsewhere. If you prefer, think of that section as "Offers no longer outstanding" instead of "Misses."

For the record, Anton Gill would be a miss under your definition as well. Article written by the Rivals Wake site 6 months ago:

"I'm definitely visiting the closer ones, like in-states like Carolina, State, and Wake Forest. Schools like that. As far as other (out-of-state) visits, I don't have anything like that set up yet," he said.

Along with nearby N.C. State, Gill has high interest in Wake Forest, a program looking to re-establish itself as a power along Tobacco Road under Jeff [Redacted].

"I really like Wake Forest. I still don't have a list or anything, but they'll definitely be one of the schools that I think is going to go down to the end," Gill said.

"I really like Coach (Jeff) [Redacted], the way he plays. And then they have great class coming in 2012. I think if that's the place I choose to go, I have a chance to play and help them out."

Last edited:
Unfortunately, a new recruiting thread doesn't change the fact that we still have the same coach.

Granted. Maybe a "Complaints about current basketball coach" thread should be started then. We could refer any new "discussions" to that thread.

Old People - if on Firefox... Right click on the image, choose "view image" and then use the magnifying glass to zoom in... If you need more zoom, hit the control and the plus/equals key together a few times and it'll zoom in more.

My AOL browser doesn't have the magnifying glass. I asked Jeeves and he couldn't help either.

It's all been downhill since rec.sports.basketball.college was no longer "the place" to discuss college hoops.

According to the twitter machine, we offered Miles Overton. Do we know if that has changed?

I tweeted at Aaron Bracy, the author of this article about Miles, and he was unaware of a Wake Forest offer.

Recruiting section of that article:

He is on the radar of several Division I schools, having already received offers from St. Joseph’s, Drexel, Penn, Temple and, yes, La Salle, among others.

“It’s been really crazy a lot of big-time schools have been contacting me, including ACC and Big East schools,” he said. “I’m picking up offers from some schools in those conferences.

What have you heard about the interest and talent levels of Kane and Obokoh?

This BSD article, and this interview from Nation of Orange, are the best intros to Youssaoupha Kane. Clearly sounds like he's going to be a high-major player. Syracuse piece makes it sound like he's their's if they offer. It's probably too early to really gauge how interested we are.

As for Obokoh, Scout summarized his recruitment about a month ago: "Obokoh currently holds scholarship offers from Oregon, West Virginia, Villanova, Temple, James Madison, Boston, Miami and Dayton. Texas, Syracuse, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Kansas and Providence have also showed interest." Based on that, it appears safe to say he's a high-major player. A Rivals update (with the Wake site) from about a week later says, "The Rochester (NY) Bishop Kearney rising senior claims scholarship offers from Buffalo, Dayton, James Madison, Oregon, Temple, Texas, Villanova and West Virginia, and is receiving strong interest Kansas, Miami (Fla.), Providence and Syracuse." That article also says that Wake (coach Battle, specifically) saw him play for the first time on April 28. Tyler Cavanaugh played for the same AAU team, and apparently he's been in Obokoh's ear about Wake. Similar to Kane though, its hard to tell how interested we are since we just started recruiting him.

For both players, I suspect we'll have to offer soon if we want to be a serious contender. Just my .02

Lol Miles Overton just tweeted at me, guess he saw me ask that reporter. Says he has an offer. Him and Jajuan Johnson will be moved up in the next update.

I'd be very interested to know how the staff ranks Reed, McClinton, Overton, and Williams. It's probably safe to say that Reed is #1, but after that, I really have no idea. I have to imagine they are confident we can get 1 of those 4. I think it'd be quite a miss if we have to search deeper than that.

Back