• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bball Recruiting Megathread: Devin Mitchell on campus

DaveTelep
Caleb Martin went off bounce for back to back dunks. Jumper been outstanding. Good to see him vs Dwayne Morgan.

DaveTelep
Best thing about Martin Twins is the are getting progressively better. High major wings.

I was kidding. And AOL is 1995 isn't it? Not 2003

AOL Explorer (the browser) was still very much used in 2003. I'm not sure about America Online itself. (even though I know that AOL wasn't used in 2003)

- Kameron Williams has heard from Miami, Wake Forest, DePaul, Richmond, South Florida, VCU, Ohio State and Georgetown the most. In terms of the schools that stand out he gave four: Miami, Richmond, Wake Forest and South Florida. He’s looking for an opportunity in which he’ll be able to contribute early and mature on and off the court.

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2012-0526/nike-eybl-oakland-friday-recap/

...he averaged 5 and 3 last year at Northeastern...why would we want him when we could play a freshman that can probably do that this year?

http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2012/mar/24/wssport01-two-more-wake-forest-basketball-players--ar-2082290/

So in short order, the Deacons are down to four scholarship players who have played a game of college basketball, and one of them, forward Daniel Green, played only sparingly as a freshman.

DG gave us 1.4 points and 1.7 rebounds per game last year. In case you haven't noticed, he's our only true big man with any Division 1 experience. It'd be nice to have another... We flipped out about Fahro, but this kid was 10x better at a better school.

It would be nice to know that [Redacted] was trying to land a space holder to give us some depth up front. It's even better to learn that he's not.

:cliffs:

http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2012/mar/24/wssport01-two-more-wake-forest-basketball-players--ar-2082290/

DG gave us 1.4 points and 1.7 rebounds per game last year. In case you haven't noticed, he's our only true big man with any Division 1 experience. It'd be nice to have another... We flipped out about Fahro, but this kid was 10x better at a better school.

It would be nice to know that [Redacted] was trying to land a space holder to give us some depth up front. It's even better to learn that he's not.

:cliffs:

So you think Fahro would have averaged .46 PPG and .32 RPG next year?

You said that this NE kid was 10x better than Fahro so I asked whether Fahro would have averaged .46 and .32 ppg/rpg respectively at Wake because this kid averaged 4.6 and 3.2 at NE last year.

BTW, last year's frontcourt (not counting Travis) gave us 17.4 PPG, 14.6 RPG, 4.8 BPG. Daniel Green is the only remaining player.

My point was that our freshmen big men are all 2* and 3* stars. So was Daniel. Daniel gave us 1.4 and 1.7 last year with plenty of opportunities to see the floor. Having a veteran to throw out on the floor (think Nikita) would be helpful, especially when said player is described like this:

"We targeted Kauri after our first week here at Tulsa with the mindset of having someone come in for one year to provide all the intangibles that Kauri does. Our coaching staff did a wonderful job tracking down young men that fit this one-year profile to help us bridge the gap in our recruiting classes," added Manning.

Our coaching staff didn't do such a wonderful job. Manning gets it. [Redacted] does not. Manning coaches at Tulsa.

Nikita ain't much but he was big for us last year. We could have used another Nikita.

Sorry, averaging 4.4/3.2 at Northeastern isn't as good as what Daniel did at Wake in more limited minutes. I'd rather give Daniel and Devin the minutes.

Sorry, averaging 4.4/3.2 at Northeastern isn't as good as what Daniel did at Wake in more limited minutes. I'd rather give Daniel and Devin the minutes.

:rulz:

...not the point...

It is the point. Your guy was extremely marginal at a low tier program. He'll be here for one year. At 6'7, 220, he isn't big enough to play PF in the ACC.

He's basically the same size as Travis. I'd much rather play Travis at PF while giving Moto and Tree minutes at SF than bringing in this guy.

I'd rather let our team learn to play together, give Moto, Tree and Cav minutes than bring in a guy who may not be as good as any of them are.

Although I think [Redacted] needs to go, he does get it regarding this guy.

It is the point. Your guy was extremely marginal at a low tier program. He'll be here for one year. At 6'7, 220, he isn't big enough to play PF in the ACC.

He's basically the same size as Travis. I'd much rather play Travis at PF while giving Moto and Tree minutes at SF than bringing in this guy.

I'd rather let our team learn to play together, give Moto, Tree and Cav minutes than bring in a guy who may not be as good as any of them are.

Although I think [Redacted] needs to go, he does get it regarding this guy.

Okay, I'm going to make it a bit simpler, RJ.

1) We were going after Fahro and a host of other awful big bodies with a year of eligibility because our frontcourt is grossly inadequate for the ACC level. None of these players were ACC caliber, but they were all over 6'6 and could give us minutes. Fahro was allegedly a thug, but this kid sounded like a good kid. He put up Nikita numbers in a decent mid-major program. He could have given us spot minutes if we needed them and his one year of eligibility and solid intangibles make it a win-win situation for a rebuilding team. Once again, Danny Manning's comments reflect this; [Redacted]'s are absolutely inane (you can find them via the search function on the last thread).

2) There's a big difference in getting freshmen experience and throwing guys into the fire. Daniel was thrown into the fire last year, for better or for worse. He gave us under a 2 PPG and 2 RPG in very few minutes per game. Tyler and Devin, whether you want to believe it or not, will struggle next season. They both play in utterly worthless HS leagues and Cav has just one season as a high-level AAU starter. I believe that they'll both be good players for us, but to assume that they're going to give us Travis production as freshman is naive. Andre's profile speaks for itself. I hope he pans out, but he'll have to have a great work ethic to turn into the player we need him to be.

3) Travis is not a PF nor should he be a PF (the same goes for Moto and Rountree). If I was him and was told that I was going to play out of position for the third straight year, then I'd leave. I've gained a ton of respect for Travis throughout all of this... He is a 6'7 SF and he plays inside because we don't have the personnel this or last year to allow him to play on the wing. Last season, our frontcourt rotation was as such:

PF: Travis/Nikita
C: Ty/Carson/Daniel

As I've already pointed out, of those four true post players, just one is returning and he's approximately 8% of the foursome's scoring and 12% of its rebounding. He'll improve (and I think I may be his biggest fan on these boards), but we have a lot of ground to make up, seeing as all we're doing is replacing those four players with four freshman, two of whom are unknowns and one who we know can give us Daniel production, at best.

Travis (and Moto/Tree) will play PF to the detriment of this team.

4) Did I mention that we have scholarships, this kid had excellent intangibles, and we need bodies? Take a look at these numbers: Nikita had averaged 0.9 and 0.3 PPG at Georgetown during his sophomore year. He was a vital part of any improvement we made as a team last year.

5) You're still missing my point, RJ. Our staff told us that they were going to fill in the holes in our frontcourt with a grad-transfer or late signing. They were desperate and bent the standards of their self-imposed culture. There were plenty of options on the table and we know the players that they decided to go after. The latest was Fahro. If Danny Manning knew about this kid and his staff at one of the worst mid-major programs in the country was able to talk him into coming, then there's no reason why our staff couldn't have made a play on him. Manning is a proven evaluator of talent as one of Kansas's top recruiters and big men coaches and frankly, the whole thing is just embarrassing. That we're constantly being fed shovels-full of sh*t and expected to stand by our dear [Redacted] is just another insult to our team and its fans.

Fuck you!! how dare act condescending. I gave you reasons that make sense without being personal.

Fuck you!! how dare act condescending. I gave you reasons that make sense without being personal.

For the reasons that I stated above, RJ, your reasons did not make sense to me. You did not address my point, either, that I had stated on a few occasions, choosing rather to talk around it. That we disagree is not condescension and it is not deserving of an expletive directed at me.

Let's get back to Wake recruiting, aight?

For the reasons that I stated above, RJ, your reasons did not make sense to me. You did not address my point, either, that I had stated on a few occasions, choosing rather to talk around it. That we disagree is not condescension and it is not deserving of an expletive directed at me.

Let's get back to Wake recruiting, aight?
Saying this is condescending:

"Okay, I'm going to make it a bit simpler, RJ."

There is no way around it.

Back