• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bball Recruiting Megathread: Devin Mitchell on campus

Saying this is condescending:

"Okay, I'm going to make it a bit simpler, RJ."

There is no way around it.

I'm not interested in arguing with you and I apologize if I offended you. I wrote that because you (and doofus) talked around the point I was trying to make. Read the thread again. I still think I'm making good points.

Here's my post:

1) We were going after Fahro and a host of other awful big bodies with a year of eligibility because our frontcourt is grossly inadequate for the ACC level. None of these players were ACC caliber, but they were all over 6'6 and could give us minutes. Fahro was allegedly a thug, but this kid sounded like a good kid. He put up Nikita numbers in a decent mid-major program. He could have given us spot minutes if we needed them and his one year of eligibility and solid intangibles make it a win-win situation for a rebuilding team. Once again, Danny Manning's comments reflect this; [Redacted]'s are absolutely inane (you can find them via the search function on the last thread).

2) There's a big difference in getting freshmen experience and throwing guys into the fire. Daniel was thrown into the fire last year, for better or for worse. He gave us under a 2 PPG and 2 RPG in very few minutes per game. Tyler and Devin, whether you want to believe it or not, will struggle next season. They both play in utterly worthless HS leagues and Cav has just one season as a high-level AAU starter. I believe that they'll both be good players for us, but to assume that they're going to give us Travis production as freshman is naive. Andre's profile speaks for itself. I hope he pans out, but he'll have to have a great work ethic to turn into the player we need him to be.

3) Travis is not a PF nor should he be a PF (the same goes for Moto and Rountree). If I was him and was told that I was going to play out of position for the third straight year, then I'd leave. I've gained a ton of respect for Travis throughout all of this... He is a 6'7 SF and he plays inside because we don't have the personnel this or last year to allow him to play on the wing. Last season, our frontcourt rotation was as such:

PF: Travis/Nikita
C: Ty/Carson/Daniel

As I've already pointed out, of those four true post players, just one is returning and he's approximately 8% of the foursome's scoring and 12% of its rebounding. He'll improve (and I think I may be his biggest fan on these boards), but we have a lot of ground to make up, seeing as all we're doing is replacing those four players with four freshman, two of whom are unknowns and one who we know can give us Daniel production, at best.

Travis (and Moto/Tree) will play PF to the detriment of this team.

4) Did I mention that we have scholarships, this kid had excellent intangibles, and we need bodies? Take a look at these numbers: Nikita had averaged 0.9 and 0.3 PPG at Georgetown during his sophomore year. He was a vital part of any improvement we made as a team last year.

5) You're still missing my point, RJ. Our staff told us that they were going to fill in the holes in our frontcourt with a grad-transfer or late signing. They were desperate and bent the standards of their self-imposed culture. There were plenty of options on the table and we know the players that they decided to go after. The latest was Fahro. If Danny Manning knew about this kid and his staff at one of the worst mid-major programs in the country was able to talk him into coming, then there's no reason why our staff couldn't have made a play on him. Manning is a proven evaluator of talent as one of Kansas's top recruiters and big men coaches and frankly, the whole thing is just embarrassing. That we're constantly being fed shovels-full of sh*t and expected to stand by our dear [Redacted] is just another insult to our team and its fans.

Okay, I'm going to make it a bit simpler, RJ.

1) We were going after Fahro and a host of other awful big bodies with a year of eligibility because our frontcourt is grossly inadequate for the ACC level. None of these players were ACC caliber, but they were all over 6'6 and could give us minutes. Fahro was allegedly a thug, but this kid sounded like a good kid. He put up Nikita numbers in a decent mid-major program. He could have given us spot minutes if we needed them and his one year of eligibility and solid intangibles make it a win-win situation for a rebuilding team. Once again, Danny Manning's comments reflect this; [Redacted]'s are absolutely inane (you can find them via the search function on the last thread).

Picking someone for a mid-major is vastly different than picking someone for a high-major. Danny understands this (and wouldn't be a bad replacement for [Redacted]-he is a local). He put up mediocre, and this is important, worse numbers than he did two years ago at a doormat program.

2) There's a big difference in getting freshmen experience and throwing guys into the fire. Daniel was thrown into the fire last year, for better or for worse. He gave us under a 2 PPG and 2 RPG in very few minutes per game. Tyler and Devin, whether you want to believe it or not, will struggle next season. They both play in utterly worthless HS leagues and Cav has just one season as a high-level AAU starter. I believe that they'll both be good players for us, but to assume that they're going to give us Travis production as freshman is naive. Andre's profile speaks for itself. I hope he pans out, but he'll have to have a great work ethic to turn into the player we need him to be.

Of course Devin and Tyler will struggle. Very few frosh won't. No one has EVER said they would give us Travis-like production as frosh. Certainly not me. don't even try saying I did. I never have.

3) Travis is not a PF nor should he be a PF (the same goes for Moto and Rountree). If I was him and was told that I was going to play out of position for the third straight year, then I'd leave. I've gained a ton of respect for Travis throughout all of this... He is a 6'7 SF and he plays inside because we don't have the personnel this or last year to allow him to play on the wing. Last season, our frontcourt rotation was as such:

PF: Travis/Nikita
C: Ty/Carson/Daniel

Of course I don't want Travis to play PF. I'd rather even the shorter Moto play that position on D.
As I've already pointed out, of those four true post players, just one is returning and he's approximately 8% of the foursome's scoring and 12% of its rebounding. He'll improve (and I think I may be his biggest fan on these boards), but we have a lot of ground to make up, seeing as all we're doing is replacing those four players with four freshman, two of whom are unknowns and one who we know can give us Daniel production, at best.

Travis (and Moto/Tree) will play PF to the detriment of this team.

4) Did I mention that we have scholarships, this kid had excellent intangibles, and we need bodies? Take a look at these numbers: Nikita had averaged 0.9 and 0.3 PPG at Georgetown during his sophomore year. He was a vital part of any improvement we made as a team last year.

Long before you came to the boards, I have had a consistent position that you don't give out a scholarship just because you have it.

5) You're still missing my point, RJ. Our staff told us that they were going to fill in the holes in our frontcourt with a grad-transfer or late signing. They were desperate and bent the standards of their self-imposed culture. There were plenty of options on the table and we know the players that they decided to go after. The latest was Fahro. If Danny Manning knew about this kid and his staff at one of the worst mid-major programs in the country was able to talk him into coming, then there's no reason why our staff couldn't have made a play on him. Manning is a proven evaluator of talent as one of Kansas's top recruiters and big men coaches and frankly, the whole thing is just embarrassing. That we're constantly being fed shovels-full of sh*t and expected to stand by our dear [Redacted] is just another insult to our team and its fans.

I don't give a shit what the staff said. If the players isn't going to be a solid contributor (and this guy wasn't at a bad program), there's no sense in taking development time from a very solid recruiting class.

I think you both made yourselves perfectly clear. These long quoted quotes are making my mouse roller finger go numb.

- Kameron Williams has heard from Miami, Wake Forest, DePaul, Richmond, South Florida, VCU, Ohio State and Georgetown the most. In terms of the schools that stand out he gave four: Miami, Richmond, Wake Forest and South Florida. He’s looking for an opportunity in which he’ll be able to contribute early and mature on and off the court.

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2012-0526/nike-eybl-oakland-friday-recap/

Also mentions that he's working on his PG skills. He's only 6'2. Wonder if [Redacted] would be open to taking him in addition to Reed/McClinton (and hopefully a big). We have 3 ships available.

This was written over a year ago so take it with a grain of salt, and since then Telep has seen fit to put him #68 overall.

ESPN Analyst
Updated 04/13/2011
Strengths:
Whether it's with his high school or travel team, Williams gets cast in the role of scorer, specifically shooter. Leave him open and he's nailing the shot. Moves exceptionally well so he'll get lost and then boom, count it. Prefers to work the baselines where he can get loose. Quick reflexes help him get his shot off in tight spaces.
Weaknesses:
There's a long and storied history of thin wings turning into players. From Juan Dixon to the Curry's, Eric Maynor and C.J. McCollum to name a few. Williams is as skinny or skinnier than everyone on that list. He's also got as much leaping ability as one can pack into his frame. If he puts on weight, that would be huge but he doesn't have a body that translates to 25 more pounds. Therefore, he must maximize the muscle he has. Long term he may want to develop point guard attributes so he can make himself more of a threat. He doesn't pass enough to show what he can do as a play maker.
Bottom Line:
He's one of the most difficult evaluations because of his body style. He's going to encounter problems defensively at the highest level because of his size. He's also going to shoot the ball well enough to be a factor. The question is: highest level mid-major or niche high-major prospect? He'll have to make that decision on his own as he'll have both options.

Also, if we do take him as a future point, and we would definitely take Shelton in 2014... how often should we recruit a PG? The past few years have seemed to demonstrate you can't have too many, but would it hurt our chances with a bona fide homegrown stud if we have CMM, Madison, and Kam as PGs on the roster?

Sounds like a J-Gray type, which obviously would be a welcome addition. We'll need that badly after CJ is gone.

Agreed. Shelton is much more of a pure PG; I don't think Kam would scare him at all.

As a 6'2 combo guard, I'm just not sure Kam fills the need [Redacted] has been focused on. In other words, if we get Kam, I would be all in favor of taking Reed as well. Hope [Redacted] agrees.

Wow. You never want to be mentioned with Iowa State.

stonz;731353Lol Miles Overton just tweeted at me said:
Man I was his coach at St. Joe's camp in the summer of 06. He was a pudgy little kid then. He was such a punk who thought he could do anything because his dad was on the St. Joe's staff.

Got the chance to watch Miles Overton play in the UnderArmour Are You From Here Classic on Saturday. Here's a few notes.

Right off the bat, my first impression of Overton was that he is physically very strong. Muscular build w/broad shoulders. Overton’s best skill is far and away his outside shooting. He is a knockdown shooter, especially off the catch. He has a great release and follow through, but sometimes kicks his leg out when he shoots. When he does miss, it seems like it’s usually because of the leg kick (being off-balance). For the most part, great mechanics. As the son of former NBA player Doug Overton, Miles has a high basketball IQ and great court awareness. He is going to make the right play. Takes the right shots and doesn’t force them. Solid passer. On defense, he has very active hands. In one play in particular, he came up with a steal and dribbled coast to coast for a strong finish. Although Overton is not the quickest player on the court, he is great at using his strength to keep his opponent in front of him and bump them off their course.

Room for Improvement: Can sometimes get too complacent in a half-court offense. Needs to move better without the ball. As of right now, he is primarily a shooter, and has to work on his quickness and athleticism in order to add another component to his game.

Bottom line: Miles Overton is a solid 3-star shooting guard. If Wake is unable to get a commitment from Davon Reed or Kam Wiliams, Overton would be a decent backup option. He has both an offer from and a lot of interest in Wake, wants to visit soon, and hopes to make a commitment before the start of his senior season.

Brand new basketball recruiting thread. Beginnings of same old non-recruiting arguments. Glad i got a new mouse with the little scrolling wheel on it.

And what have you added to this thread? Besides whining, of course....

I think you both made yourselves perfectly clear. These long quoted quotes are making my mouse roller finger go numb.

Still waiting...

Thanks for the report Dalbert.

Ah. A "thank you" post. Well done.

You contribute so much to something you bitch about whenever you pop your emoness into the discussion. Stop acting so self-entitled, ace. This board isn't here to serve your recruiting info needs alone. And you bitching about a thread being derailed doesn't really solve any issues, does it? So contribute and bitch, or just STFU. I don't much care which option you take. But fucking stop bitching and not contributing to the discussion other than meaningless and empty "thank you for the report" posts. Because those add so much to recruiting discussion. Except they don't.

And I entirely realize this post added nothing to the discussion. But I got annoyed by this guy reading thru this thread. I'll end it here on my end.

Team Final- Davon's team and Baltimore Elite- Kameron's team both made it to the EYBL Peach Jam Finals in July

Got the chance to watch Miles Overton play in the UnderArmour Are You From Here Classic on Saturday. Here's a few notes.

Right off the bat, my first impression of Overton was that he is physically very strong. Muscular build w/broad shoulders. Overton’s best skill is far and away his outside shooting. He is a knockdown shooter, especially off the catch. He has a great release and follow through, but sometimes kicks his leg out when he shoots. When he does miss, it seems like it’s usually because of the leg kick (being off-balance). For the most part, great mechanics. As the son of former NBA player Doug Overton, Miles has a high basketball IQ and great court awareness. He is going to make the right play. Takes the right shots and doesn’t force them. Solid passer. On defense, he has very active hands. In one play in particular, he came up with a steal and dribbled coast to coast for a strong finish. Although Overton is not the quickest player on the court, he is great at using his strength to keep his opponent in front of him and bump them off their course.

Room for Improvement: Can sometimes get too complacent in a half-court offense. Needs to move better without the ball. As of right now, he is primarily a shooter, and has to work on his quickness and athleticism in order to add another component to his game.

Bottom line: Miles Overton is a solid 3-star shooting guard. If Wake is unable to get a commitment from Davon Reed or Kam Wiliams, Overton would be a decent backup option. He has both an offer from and a lot of interest in Wake, wants to visit soon, and hopes to make a commitment before the start of his senior season.

Thanks for the update. You failed to mention that he is from Philly. Care to elaborate on his toughness?

Thanks for the update. You failed to mention that he is from Philly. Care to elaborate on his toughness?

Yeah he's from Philly...

From the one game I saw, he didn't fit the stereotype. Like I said, he tended to float around the perimeter and didn't look to penetrate.

Yeah. Philly players tend to recklessly penetrate and just throw it up wherever.

Yeah he's from Philly...

From the one game I saw, he didn't fit the stereotype. Like I said, he tended to float around the perimeter and didn't look to penetrate.
6b5.jpg

Back