• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bball Recruiting Megathread: Devin Mitchell on campus

Ron Wellman is in no danger of losing his job. None, Nada, Zilch, Zero.

If he keeps bzz around for 2 or 3 more years, which he seems set on doing it is possible. The basketball program is currently dead, attendance is less than 4000 a game, donations are down, season tickets are down, students and fans are completely apathetic. If the athletic department continues to operate at a loss for a few more years, and if Wake makes a large expenditure that goes poorly (say buying the joel) he would definitely get axed. Personally, I think we are closer to this happening than being good.

We simply can't be losing recruits to Miami. We just can't.

Agreed. It'd be one thing if the kid was from Florida or something. But he's from Maryland. With his current offer list, we should be in control.

Ron Wellman is in no danger of losing his job. None, Nada, Zilch, Zero.

Today. Talk to me in a year if he's still doing his Iraqi Information Minister bit. His seat isn't hot yet, but it's not being engraved with his initials either. There is plenty of concern about how this Bzz situation is going to play out.

I've never met him so I can't comment on him being a douche, but I strongly disagree with "as long as he is the AD, Bzz will be the basketball coach."

If you haven't met him, on what basis do you strongly disagree? Serious question... I'm looking for the light at the end of the tunnel. (A light that's not attached to a locomotive.)

Today. Talk to me in a year if he's still doing his Iraqi Information Minister bit. His seat isn't hot yet, but it's not being engraved with his initials either. There is plenty of concern about how this Bzz situation is going to play out.

A question and a comment...
If his seat is not "hot" yet, who the hell has the matches?

Because I sure hope that "this Bzz situation" "plays out" somewhere besides MSD...

Football isn't basketball, but Wellman waited 9 years on Caldwell.

Trust me when I say I hate to keep saying this but no matter what as long as Ron calls the shots Bz will be given two more years.

I don't doubt it. I just hope Ron isn't calling the shots unless there is significant improvement. He's solely responsible for this. I don't blame Bz for taking a job is wasn't qualified to have.

Or the new academic leadership could be pushing the change in athletics focus.

Hmmm. Lots of people that said Dino had no chance of getting axed two years ago.

The difference in Caldwell is that WFU Football was not a revenue sport back then. Basketball is (or was). Even if Hatch doesnt give a damn about socks or winning or 'doing things the right way' or all the other BS, he has to have noticed that an area of his balance sheet that was a plus for the school 3 years ago is now severely in the red. In the era where top private schools have become more big business than big education, he is going to have to notice and do something about it if it doesnt approve.

I am of the opinion that Wellman and Bzz will leave together, not of their own volition, either after this year or next.

Hiring Dino was RW's big mistake. Then giving him an extension and then firing him was pretty dumb, too.

Re: Miami. Wasn't Dino the HC when Reggie Johnson (W-S Prep) chose Miami?

To be fair, I'm not sure any major D1 coach in American would've taken a commitment from Reggie over Tony Woods or Ty Walker at the time. Obviously Reggie turned out to be the far more productive and effective collegiate player than either of those two guys, but I can't really fault Dino for not offering him when we ended up with commitments from a pair of consensus top-40 players.

To be fair, I'm not sure any major D1 coach in American would've taken a commitment from Reggie over Tony Woods or Ty Walker at the time. Obviously Reggie turned out to be the far more productive and effective collegiate player than either of those two guys, but I can't really fault Dino for not offering him when we ended up with commitments from a pair of consensus top-40 players.

Exactly.

Hmmm. Lots of people that said Dino had no chance of getting axed two years ago.

The difference in Caldwell is that WFU Football was not a revenue sport back then. Basketball is (or was). Even if Hatch doesnt give a damn about socks or winning or 'doing things the right way' or all the other BS, he has to have noticed that an area of his balance sheet that was a plus for the school 3 years ago is now severely in the red. In the era where top private schools have become more big business than big education, he is going to have to notice and do something about it if it doesnt approve.

I am of the opinion that Wellman and Bzz will leave together, not of their own volition, either after this year or next.

Dino was never really Wellman's guy. This isn't the same situation is Caldwell at all, but it also isn't the same situation as Dino.

Bzz needs to get out and get in this kid's ear...we need him!

Dino was never really Wellman's guy. This isn't the same situation is Caldwell at all, but it also isn't the same situation as Dino.

True, but it's similar in that he was 100% supportive of Dino until the day he fired him. I sincerely hope he will be 100% supportive of [Redacted] until the day he fires him - which should be the day this season ends if we don't make some kind of postseason appearance.

I think there are some golden rules good AD's live by. Always give a coach enough time to succeed (minimum 3 years). Don't cripple a coach's ability to do his job (ie renew a contract even if it may not be long term). Always support the coach 100% to the media and project confidence in the program and its direction.

I think Wellman's a great AD that fell in love with the idea of Brad Stevens style basketball at Wake and made a terrible hire when Stevens couldn't be acquired. Until he breaks the above tenets or doesn't make a move when it's required, I can't believe we're better off firing him.

Back