• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bball Recruiting Megathread: Devin Mitchell on campus

In that video, Kam only looks 6'2 if (like Chevy Chase) you include the afro. Game and build definitely reminiscent of Juan D.

True, but it's similar in that he was 100% supportive of Dino until the day he fired him. I sincerely hope he will be 100% supportive of [Redacted] until the day he fires him - which should be the day this season ends if we don't make some kind of postseason appearance.

I think there are some golden rules good AD's live by. Always give a coach enough time to succeed (minimum 3 years). Don't cripple a coach's ability to do his job (ie renew a contract even if it may not be long term). Always support the coach 100% to the media and project confidence in the program and its direction.

I think Wellman's a great AD that fell in love with the idea of Brad Stevens style basketball at Wake and made a terrible hire when Stevens couldn't be acquired. Until he breaks the above tenets or doesn't make a move when it's required, I can't believe we're better off firing him.

3 years is completely arbitrary. If you're going to set some minimum, then 4 years makes far more sense (gives him a chance to take the same players from freshmen to seniors) and 5 even more sense (gives him a chance to take his own players from freshmen to seniors).

I also disagree that a contract should be renewed just because it is a recruiting issue. Renewing a contract will mean less favorable terms. [Redacted] likely wouldn't take a salary or buyout cut. In fact, if he has any sense at all he would insist on a larger buyout. Given the treatment of Odom, Wellman seems to agree with me on this. An extension is something that is earned, not just handed out because it is convenient at the time.

I do agree wholeheartedly that he has to give nothing but 100% public support. He could do so in a slightly less obnoxious way, but the past two seasons I have been saying, when people asked why we had not heard from Wellman, that whatever he would have to say would just piss off people.

I'm really hoping that Maryland is basically ignoring Kam Williams because they know that they have other, bigger fish on the line.

I think Wellman's a great AD that fell in love with the idea of Brad Stevens style basketball at Wake and made a terrible hire when Stevens couldn't be acquired. Until he breaks the above tenets or doesn't make a move when it's required, I can't believe we're better off firing him.

Think that's spot on DC. Wellman is a great AD that made a bad hire. He'll get the ship righted soon. He's a great guy to boot and the shit he gets on these boards as a person is really undeserved.

Wellman's made several bad hires. The credit that he gets for Skip and Grobe has just outweighed all the poor hires.

^He's made more than just a few good hires, but yes his good outweighs (by a large margin IMO) his bad hires. That is contingent that he fixes the BB situation soon though, and I feel he will. I've seen people saying Wellman is stubborn and will want to right the ship with his own initial hire but he's also a really competitive person and I just don't think he will keep dealing with the apathy and disappointment that has come with the basketball seasons in the Bzz era.

Oh and all that aside, the stuff about Miami leading for Kam Williams is really disappointing. There should be no competition for a legit SG on campus in the 2013 class. Chase is nice but he's a role player for a good team. Any SG that WF is on should be able to see immediate playing time available. One of the top 3 SG targets are really a must get for Bzz. Hope he, Battle, and the staff reel them in.

Wellman is a great AD that made a bad hire. He'll get the ship righted soon. He's a great guy to boot and the shit he gets on these boards as a person is really undeserved.

He's made more than just a few good hires, but yes his good outweighs (by a large margin IMO) his bad hires. That is contingent that he fixes the BB situation soon though, and I feel he will. I've seen people saying Wellman is stubborn and will want to right the ship with his own initial hire but he's also a really competitive person and I just don't think he will keep dealing with the apathy and disappointment that has come with the basketball seasons in the Bzz era.

I disagree. The only thing he's excelled at is raising money and apparently smoozing the right powerbrokers at Wake. If he was capable of admitting his mistake with [Redacted] (of his own accord) he would have done it this year. His attitude with the fans and the media on this issue has just confirmed the arrogance he feels for the rest of the world. He's obviously been here too long. It's time for a change... or two.

Last edited:
Tau, feel free to list Wellman's good and bad hires in men's and women's basketball, football, and baseball.

thedeacfan, I disagree, he's helped accomplish much more than that including 4 National titles, first BCS bowl, #1 ranking in basketball, deacon towers etc. A good athletic director not only makes good hires but gives those hires the ability to succeed on the highest level. The Bzz screwup has made people really forget some of his better moments. I don't want to derail the recruiting thread anymore than I already have (sorry guys) but if you, Ph, or anyone else that wants my take on wellman, good/bad hires etc feel free to shoot me a pm and i'd have no problem sharing my thoughts. Sorry again for the derail to guys coming expecting recruiting information.

Last edited:
thedeacfan, I disagree, he's helped accomplish much more than that including 4 National titles, first BCS bowl, #1 ranking in basketball, deacon towers etc. A good athletic director not only makes good hires but gives those hires the ability to succeed on the highest level. The Bzz screwup has made people really forget some of his better moments. I don't want to derail the recruiting thread anymore than I already have (sorry guys) but if you, Ph, or anyone else that wants my take on wellman, good/bad hires etc feel free to shoot me a pm and i'd have no problem sharing my thoughts. Sorry again for the derail to guys coming expecting recruiting information.

Uh, you know he didn't hire Averill, right? My understanding is he didn't want to hire Vidovich either, but boosters basically forced him too. Without actually listing everything out, seems like he's pretty much 50/50 with hires (ie: Charlene Curtis and Mike Petersen, Remliak and Tom Walter, etc).

As Tau06 said, sorry to continue with the thread derail but since we aren't inundated with recruiting info... Serious question: If Wellman is pretty much mediocre, what's with the respect he gets in the AD community and the NCAA community as a whole?

Hate to interject some actual recruiting commentary on this thread, but the final RSCI rankings for 2012 are out. CMM holds serve at 75, Moto tumbles 18 spots to #90.

And one of Wake's lowest ranked classes unless you score a 2 man class with one Top 100 player as lower than a 7 man class with #75 and #90.

2010 class had 4 players rated between 49-93 in the Final RSCI out of a 5 man class.
2009 class had 1 player rated Top 100 out of 2.
2008 class had all three in the Top 40
2007 class had #43 and #58

The 2006 class is the only recent big class comparable to this one. Skeen and Gurley were #50 and #56. The other 4 were outside the Top 100. Of course, to get there we were listed by and struck out on about half of the Top 25.

And one of Wake's lowest ranked classes unless you score a 2 man class with one Top 100 player as lower than a 7 man class with #75 and #90.

2010 class had 4 players rated between 49-93 in the Final RSCI out of a 5 man class.
2009 class had 1 player rated Top 100 out of 2.
2008 class had all three in the Top 40
2007 class had #43 and #58

The 2006 class is the only recent big class comparable to this one. Skeen and Gurley were #50 and #56. The other 4 were outside the Top 100. Of course, to get there we were listed by and struck out on about half of the Top 25.

Dino brought in two real classes, Ari/Harris and the now-departed 2010 class. Five of his seven commits (71%) were top 100 in the RSCI. Skip's classes broke down 3/3 (2008), 2/3 (2007), 2/6 (2006), 2/4 (2005), 0/1 (2004), 2/4 (2003), and 3/5 (2002), for a total of 14/26 (54%). Odom's last four classes were 2/3 (2001--partial credit to Skip), 0/2 (2000??--this was the Hamilton/Schoetz class?), 0/1 (1999--JHo), and 4/5 (1998--ABCDE), for 6/11 (55%).

So far, Bz is 0/3 and 2/7, for a total of 2/10 (20%).

Last edited:
Back