• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Europe Travel Assistance

THanks, guys. Some good suggestions here in line with others we have received. I was also told to check out the Jewish Quarter in Prague, as well as a heuriger in Vienna.

The Wife and I want to hit Vienna State Opera while there too. I'm not sure what the attire would be for such a thing, but I have a feeling Vad would know.

I did your same trip last year and didn't think any of the major tourist attractions in Prague, Vienna, or Budapest were particularly overrated or disappointing. I'm pretty structured, and had an exact list of everything I wanted to see each day, so I'm happy to send that to you if you want. If nothing else, it might help with getting an idea of where certain attractions are located in relation to each other.

One under-the-radar thing I haven't seen mentioned is Kerepesi Cemetery in Budapest. It's out of the way, and obviously won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I like old cemeteries and that was a very nice one.

A few things I've really enjoyed that weren't major tourist attractions:

Prague -

Beer halls / gardens here are the best in the world (imo). One of my favorites is the beer garden in Letna park (just over the river from the old town). It's very bare bones, but the view of the river and city is gorgeous and the laid back atmosphere is terrific. The beer halls in the center of the city are kind of touristy now (not Munich levels, but still not very authentic anymore) - I have enjoyed a couple of the older, more traditional beer halls / pubs outside of the center more. U Cerneho Vola on the west side of the city is terrific, for example. Grumpy bartenders, great beer, limited food menu and a beer hall that's been around for several centuries now.

There is still a vibrant "Bohemian" cafe scene in Prague, and the most famous one is actually very good. It's Kavarna Slavia just southwest of the center along the river, and it's a grand old European coffee house in every way. It's where a lot of the Czech dissidents met during the Soviet era, and is in many ways one of the founding spot of the modern Czech Republic. Also happens to just be a cool place to while away a few hours drinking coffee, people watching and relaxing.

I also enjoyed the times I've eaten at Lokal near the center of the city - it's a new(ish) restaurant styled on the "milk bars" that served as cheap canteens for workers during the Communist era, with sparse decorations and a pretty industrial layout. Except this one has a terrific kitchen and fresh Pilsner from giant copper tanks and it's really very, very good.

Budapest -

Shopping and eating in the Central Market Hall. Grab a fresh loaf of bread, some cheese, a few slices of Hungarian salami and chow down while you wander through and check everything out (there's some restaurants inside too, but I've always just snacked on the go as I wandered). I happen to love markets, and that one is great. If you are hungover, get a Langos from one vendors there that make them fresh (a kind of frisbee of deep fried dough that you can top with various toppings).

The baths are awesome - try to go as late in the day as you can, something about being outside in the twilight floating in warm water is awesome (and they will be slightly less crowded).

I think the best time I ever had in Budapest was going hiking in the giant park in the 2nd district above the Danube, and then eating at an old farmhouse restaurant out there called Nancsi Neni which is utterly fabulous and quite famous.

SailorDeac lives in Budapest, you should probably hit him up for some more locals specific stuff to do around the city.

I'll write a whole separate post on Vienna, since obviously it's the city I know best.

Great, great stuff here. Thanks, Vad. Looking forward to the Vienna post (and please tell me what the wife and I need to wear to the opera. Basically, how formal do we need to be?).

(a suit and tie is perfectly fine for the Staatsoper as a tourist, btw)

So ... Wien. As a local band has sung with tongue firmly in cheek "You are the last Emperor - not a city, you're actually a museum". And it's very easy to come here, see the palaces (there's a bunch of them), visit the museums (there's a bunch of them), go to the opera (there's several), see the horses at the Spanish Riding School (they are beautiful), and basically just see a living museum of the pinnacle of the late 19th century. That's a cool visit, it really is. There's tons of guidebooks and internet sites to help you pick out what parts of the living museum you want to see - there's so much, just go with whatever strikes your fancy, you won't go wrong. Even the touristy trappiest of tourist traps in Vienna are good.

But that isn't Wien, and probably never was. A local Viennese once described the city to me as a bunch of coffee houses bordered by the river on one side and hills on the other, and that's probably as good a place as any to start with what to see here. This is a city that adores it's outdoors culture and treats it's coffee houses as communal living rooms that are sacred places where everyone is equal, at least for a few hours. Life is kind of lived in between one of those two places. Visiting in the summer time in particular, try to not get too trapped into just palaces and museums and spend as much time as possible in the parks, on the river, in the hills or in a coffee house.

A few things I highly recommend that aren't going to a museum or a palace:

#1 - Go up to the top of Kahlenberg, see the city spread out below and then hike down through the vineyards - stopping to drink in the various "Heuriger" (basically, wine huts). This isn't Napa, there's nothing fancy about it. You get a jug of wine, a jug of sparkling water, maybe a plate of cold cuts and cheese and everyone hangs out on the grass. As you hike down the Kahlenbergerstrasse you'll end the afternoon/evening in the area of Grinzing, have dinner in of the various more (very slightly) formal wine gardens there. Snobbier Viennese locals will turn their nose up a bit at going to Heuriger in Grinzing because it's where tourists go (to some extent) ... but that's also because it's incredibly picturesque and accessible.

IMG_7167-728x434.jpg

And by the way, while you are headed up to Kahlenberg in the morning - make sure to stop and spend a few minutes at Karl Marx-Hof which is one of the largest and longest social housing building complexes in the world, and a good reminder of just how "red" Vienna is and has been historically and is an icon of the social housing program that is the backbone of Vienna (40% of the population lives in some form of social housing or subsidized housing). The Guardian recently listed it as one of their 50 buildings that told of the stories of cities globally and had a great write up on it's history and symbolism for Vienna ( http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...politics-ideology-history-cities-50-buildings ).

wide

#2 Spend time on the Danube. There's a few ways of doing this, but my favorite is to rent a small electric boat (they are cheap - at places near the Donauinsel U-Bahn stop or on the Alte Donau) and cruise up and down. Feel free to bring snacks, drinks (public drinking is encouraged, not discouraged - just don't do it while behind the wheel of the boat), pull over wherever you want along the shore and even swim in the river. There's also various restaurants and bars along the shore that cater to the crowd in and around the water, so pop out and then back in. Be aware that several parts of the Donauinsel and Alte Donau are FKK (free body culture) areas ... so if you're on a boat and cruise past one of those, you're going to see some naked Viennese. Nobody gives a shit, you probably shouldn't either.

freizeit-wien-donauinsel-4.jpg

You can also go to one of the giant parks that line the river. Prater is the oldest and most famous, and the Donauinsel is where most of the active (cycling, running, etc) stuff happens. These are huge parks, with various bars and cafes in them to quench your thirst after you've been doing whatever it is you do to keep yourself active (or just sitting on a blanket in the sun). On any sunny day these will be PACKED.

81E0DOPX-AG9V-ZIPG-YVFC-OTM41OLQBISX-728x434.jpg

#3 Be young and hip for a night. Spend the late afternoon and early evening in the various seasonal bars and huts that line the Donaukanal through the center of the city. Check out the graffiti and public art (the walls of the Kanal are given over to street artists) and dangle your feet off the edges over the water and talk about serious things (or just stare at the city center and make out, whatever) while drinking a few Aperolspritzer or cold beers.

41003-donaukanal-adria-wien-sommer-outdoor-3to2.jpeg

Move on over to the MuseumsQuartier as the sun goes down, to hang in the courtyard of gorgeous 19th century imperial buildings which have now been turned over to the youths to seemingly do what they want. Various bars are around the edges but BYOB is the law of the land for the youngsters who fill the place on the weekends (one of the most famous art museums in Vienna - the Leopold, which is truly excellent - turns into a packed nightclub later on the weekends). Drink a few more beers as the stars come out, lay on a giant goofy plastic bench/seat thing, maybe grab some dinner and people watch.

museumsquartier-sommer-im-mq-innenhof-outdoor.jpg

By midnight or so, time for some music. You can slide around the back exit of MQ to an infamous club called Donau - the walls are covered in projected visual art of all sorts of wierdness, and the music is some indescribable something that's definitely newer and cooler than you are supposed to know. There's a sausage stand inside the club (even has vegan sausages, blech) and the smoking zones are repurposed ski gondolas. It's that kind of place ... basically, if you designed the stereotypical "too cool for everyone to really know what the hell is going on" European nightclub, it'd be Donau. Somehow it's actually good though. Don't ask me how that is.

#4 Spend at least an entire afternoon in a coffee house. These are the living rooms of the city, institutions so ingrained into city life that it's impossible to imagine a Vienna that doesn't have it's coffee houses. They are some combination of open work place, discussion hall, dive bar and diner all wrapped into one and each has it's own rhythm and feeling. There's literally hundreds upon hundreds in the city, and people have STRONG FEELINGS on which is better than another. I would say that while the oldest and most famous ones (Central, Landtmann, Havelka, Demel and the one inside the Hotel Sacher) are beautiful, the large of number of tourists does hamper the vibe in them to some extent. A few of my favorites are here, but honestly - just pick one slightly away from the dead center tourist area, bring some reading material or a sketch book or whatever, and go and sit and spend ... some amount of time. Just hang. It's the most Viennese thing you can do.

Cafe Prückel
Cafe Alt Wien
Cafe Hummel
Cafe Sperl

10.jpg

This is either the most eastern "western" city or the most western "eastern" city and one of the oldest truly multicultural cities in the world. You will hear 10 languages minimum on any regular day in the U-Bahn, and the wild mix of ethnicities and backgrounds has always fueled a very diverse and varied cultural scene that has always made the city stand out among major European capitals. Wien isn't Austrian, it isn't German, it's just ... Wienerisch. There's a specific kind of "cool" that the city has (the Wiener Schmäh) - a sort of aloof, roguish charm that in a lot of ways is a knowing wink at the history and ridiculousness of life here among the museum pieces, along with an arrogance of the quality of life and culture (there's a sign in the MuseumsQuartier that captures this perfectly - it just says "Wien hat Kultur." / Vienna has culture. ... the period at the end is a perfect amount of arrogance).

The best thing about Vienna is that life isn't forced to be fast here, and as a tourist it's so hard to get that feeling because you are rushing from one site to another. You can do that, it's great. But it'll miss the essence of the city.

Last edited:
On museums here btw - I'd highly recommend these 3:

Leopold - this museum has by far the largest collection of modern art from the late imperial era in Vienna, specifically from Egon Schiele and Gustav Klimt. IMO - this is the best and most unique art museum in the city. It's very, very good.

leopold-museum-ausstellungsansicht-klimt-tod-und-leben-3to2.jpeg

HGM - the museum of military history. The WW1 exhibit alone is worth days of your time, a remarkable history of the war with many priceless artifacts and terrifically curated. There's also enormous sections devoted to the various wars with the Turks and protestants that defined the Holy Roman Empire and much of Hapsburg history. It's a great war museum.

1-weltkrieg-auto-franz-ferdinand-3to2.jpeg

Kaisergruft - this is the family crypt for the Hapsburg family. It's in the basement of a small church that was their private chapel, and it's a bizarre and slightly macabre trip through the outrageously opulent ways they had themselves buried.

Kaisergruft-Wien-14.jpg

Some truly awesome stuff. Thanks for taking the time to do the write-up. The Wife will be so impressed that I "know" somebody with all this vast knowledge. Seriously, thank you. I better get busy on opera tix though.

Pretty sure our hotel is in or very close to the museum quarter, so that part should be easy to do at least.

A couple of folks have suggested that we do a quick bus tour of Prague on our first day as a way to get the lay of the land, see everything quickly, and figure out what you really want to see more of the rest of the time there. Does this sound like a feasible idea or just a waste of time?

My friend is going to Germany (Stuttgart) for work for ~8-9 months or so and I was trying to figure out what to do if/when I visit, plane tickets, etc. He gets a good amount of vacation so we could travel around the area together or I could split off for a day here or there. I was trying to figure some stuff out on my own, but help/advice is always welcomed.

-I was trying to list out places to go and there's so many options. The Alps look so gorgeous between Switzerland and Innsbruck-ish area but I don't know the best places to focus on. There's also Austria and Czech Republic and of course the rest of Germany
-Nuremburg doesn't look too far, we can always go to Munich (and from there, just a little further to Salzberg), but exploring Switzerland or the northeast portion of France (Alsace) seems like a decent option as well. Switzerland and the Alps has always intrigued me, but something is going to have to get cut if I'm only staying for a week/week and a half. Stretching it to northern Italy seems like a little much.-I can't figure out if I want to fly directly to Stuttgart, meet my friend in another city, or some other alternative. Between all of the airports in the DC/Philly/NYC area and in that area of Germany/Switzerland, there's a lot of options. Regardless, nothing I've found so far is relatively cheap. I am debating taking advantage of Tuesday/Wednesday cheaper flights on at least one end.
-Stuttgart seems to have a few decent areas, has the Mercedez-Benz and Porsche museums, but I don't really have any other knowledge of the area.

My friend knows enough German to get by, and I figure he'll be pretty fluent by the time I get over there. Other than that, I don't know where to start. In previous vacations I've always focused on one place, and while I've always imagined the vacation hopping around a couple places for a few days each, I'm hitting a wall trying to figure out an itinerary.

travel schedules might not work out :(

It's been many years since I've been to Vienna, but I remember one little restaraunt/pastry shop kind of place not far off the Stadtring called the Gigerl. If it's still there, get the kraut strudel. Amazing!

Restaurant/bar/non typical cool tourist things to do in Paris? Probably looking for one really nice meal and cool environments more than clubby. We are staying near Porte Saint-Martin for a little over two days. 1 day will be spent doing typical tourist things as my gf has not been before and its been a while for myself. Given that, anything I should be aware of that I wouldn't necessarily be? We realized after booking that Eurocup is going on the same time we will be there so big crowds and the potential for attacks is on my mind.

Any days trips from Florence that are a must? We are spending more time in Florence and have access to a car.

Same questions for Rome as Paris (staying ~10 min walk east of Colosseum). Neither of us has been before. We realize more time in Rome would be ideal but we chose Florence for that because we have a friend that lives there. Anything that can be skipped in Rome or just see what we have time for and come back again one day?

Do I definitely need an international driving permit to drive in Italy?

Thanks.

I've got a big time dinner rec in Paris. Let me try to remember the name though.

From Florence I would try to hit the American Cemetery, which is similar to the cemetery in Normandy, but smaller. You might spend 30 minutes there and it's just outside the city. It's on the way to Castello di Verrazano vineyeards, which is about 45 minutes from Florence. Book a tour and lunch, don't just show up. There are other vineyards in the area too if you're into that. San Gimignano is a cool Roman city with the old walls and easiest to access via auto.

Pisa and Lucca are easy to get to by train if you're interested in them and can be done in one day. I wasn't real big on Pisa itself, but the tower is pretty cool. The church in Lucca has some cool ruins underneath.

Be cognizant of what time you get to smaller towns because they can really shut down in the afternoon.

I love Siena, but it's more than a day trip from Florence imo. It's about 1.5 hours by train or car.

I've eaten at this place in Florence twice. http://www.trattoriapandemonio.it/index.html

I don't really know much about the neighborhood east of the Colosseum in Rome. Spanish Steps are under construction, so you might want to skip that. Don't skip Vatican City. I would definitely get a guided tour of the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel. You can climb the Basilica on your own. Trevi Fountain is jammed with tourists, but I wouldn't skip it. If you're going to tour the ruins, you might want to get a tour that takes you down into the ruins and around The Forum. This can be combined with a Colosseum tour.

I got an IDP when I went to Italy last month. I've heard you don't really need it, until you get pulled over. Rental car place didn't ask for it. It's only $15 at AA and takes about 15 minutes, so you might get it for peace of mind.

Thanks dude, will look into all that. Didn't really think about making reservations for wineries etc.

I also see now that I should have search thread titles for Italy in addition to Europe. I see there are a bunch of rec's there. So thanks to all that contributed to those threads if you see this.

The Wife and I have returned from a wonderful trip. Thank you everybody for the suggestions. We tried to do as many as we could, but it simply wasn't feasible in 3 days, particularly in Vienna where there is a lot to see and it is more spread out.

Prague- We were actually a few metro stops off the beaten path here near the Nemesti Miru stop, but this was fine. Kept us a bit out of tourist trap land, but still close to the action. The great thing about Prague was that everything was really pretty condensed. You can do the monastery, the castle, and the park in a day easily. The old part of town down below can be done in a morning or afternoon. We actually did everything we set out to do here. We even hit the beer garden at Letna Park. Not much to it, but cheap and a good stop after walking. The Beer was cheap and the food was good as it was on all of our stops. Got tired of goulash on about day 2, however. Best beer was at the monastery. We tried that Lokal place also recommended by Vad, but we are dumb Americans and the seating situation was weird there where it looked like every table was reserved and there was no wait staff or restaurant staff help to be found. Oh well. No biggie. Prague was easily the least expensive of the three cities, and a great introduction to central Europe. We did do a tour guide one day, and we had a great guide so that was definitely worth it. St. Vitus is like the national cathedral on steroids. Just an amazing structure. It was hot for much of our trip in Prague, and pretty sure the three hottest days Vienna had this year so far were during our stop there (90 degrees each day).

Vienna- We were down by the Museums Quarter, a short walk down that shopping street where there are (I shit you not) 3 H&M stores within a half mile of each other. First day we were pretty pooped from the train, but hit the Leopold. I'm not much a fan of the modern art stuff, but the Klimt (wife is a fan) and Schiele stuff was pretty good. Thank God we started on the top floor because whatever exhibit was on the bottom floor was the reason why people hate modern art. Just awful. But it was overall about an hour or so of our time and worth it. I wish we had time for the war museum.

The palace took up most of the day and it was hot as balls walking around behind it so we tried to stay in the shade. Again, very cool. And the churches and all that jazz were also very cool. We were able to do a day cruise, but it really wasn't that great. A lot of graffiti in Vienna (and in all three cities), and while in Vienna it was the most "artsy", most of it was still an eyesore. I guess it is part of the city's character, but Vienna is the only city of the three that can get away with saying that due to its history.

We also did the composer's cemetery and that was really cool. So many famous people are buried there that it is really quite crazy. The cemetery itself was worth it just because it is so grand and ornate, but then to walk among Beethoven, Brahms, Schubert, Strauss...just wow. Mozart also has a stone there, but isn't really buried there. But to make up for the faux Mozart, they buried Falco there a bit off the beaten path. In an odd way, I found this to be one of the highlights of the trip. We did the opera as well, which needless to say is pretty cool if you're a fan of that. The churches were great, and they even had mass in one of them when we were there. The mix of that and the ambience got The Wife a bit choked up.

Two things that were on the list that we didn't get to do because they were a bit out of the way to our north and we simply didn't have an extra day for them were Kahlenberg and Grinzing. I really think you need about a week in Vienna to come close to seeing everything you want to see. As it was, we saw a lot in what amounted to about 2 1/2 days. Food was also superb, more people spoke English (and spoke it well) here than in any of the other cities, I got to bust out my long forgotten German that Dr. West taught me years ago (which nowadays basically consists of "Hello," "Thank you," and "I must a big shit make."), and we at least got a glimpse of the culture there. The train station was definitely a step above what it is in Prague or Budapest too.

Budapest- A beautiful place once you get to the city center. We found Heroes Square and the area close by there to be pretty good too. Our hotel location was the best here, as we were a couple blocks from the big market and river one way, and a couple blocks from the national museum on the other. We also had a view of the Citadel from our room. As this was the tail end of the trip, a few things got cut, but not much. We didn't do the Turkish baths anywhere. We just figured it was a hot bath when it got down to it, and didn't have any energy left after tackling the Citadel hill (best views we had on any trip, but we didn't hit Kahlenberg in Vienna), then climbing down and walking back over and up to the castle/palace/museum, then coming back over the chain bridge and back through the Jewish Quarter to the hotel. The weather was actually cool for that day, but it was a good trek up and down those hills, and we had already walked Prague for 3 days and Vienna for 2 1/2 at that point so we were happy to finally be able to get on a night cruise to chill.

And the night cruise is definitely worth doing. The highlight of the entire trip was seeing the Hungarian Parliament building at night, nevermind how beautiful everything else looks lit up at night. There were a couple mindblowing moments on the trip (the other being St. Vitus), and that one was one of them for sure. Simply put, it is one of the most impressive structures I have ever seen. And the way it is lit up makes it even more incredible.

We did the market too, of course, and got a langos. I got one that resembled a pizza, but it was completely its own thing, taste-wise. I kind of wish I had bought one of the sweet ones with nutella and bananas, but it looked like it could feed a family of four. We also took in a public viewing at the national museum of the Hungary-Belgium game. Obviously, that didn't end well, but the atmosphere was fun up until about 70 minutes when it all fell apart. The next day, the team got a hero's welcome in Heroes Square. The country is very proud of them.

Oh, and there is a castle type place in the park at Heroes Square that was really, really cool. It really isn't particularly old, but it looks like it is and just has great character. We did the Lizst Academy while in the area, but missed the tour, and the Kodaly Museum was not open that day so the wife was really bummed about that. We stopped by the opera house too (smaller but just as beautiful as Vienna's), but again missed the tour times for that. Oh well.

All in all a great trip and a great first trip to Europe for both of us. We have both traveled in Asia and elsewhere, but never Europe for some reason. I guess it is never too late. I highly recommend all 3 cities. Thanks to Vad and others for the detailed suggestions. Wish we could've done all of them, but we were restrained by time and sometimes general exhaustion. We did a lot of walking, which is how those Euros stay so fit since they aren't slaves to their cars. Oh, and the hottest women? Oddly enough, Hungary takes the cake for both the hottest women and the not-so-hottest. An odd mix there, and I think it's due to the long history and mingling with the Turks. Sometimes you get just a smokeshow raven-haired beauty, and sometimes you get one who probably has to shave north of her belly-button to stay well groomed. Prague women are all they're cracked up to be, but it's a certain slavic look and attitude to them more than anything else. Pretty sure the hottest gal I saw in Prague was Russian or Ukrainian or something, and either a hooker or a model. She was wearing nothing but a suit coat up top and her boobs were jiggling wonderfully within it. I couldn't take my eye off them long enough to see what she was wearing down below.

Just starts working for a Finnish company and will be headed to the HQ there this fall for a week. I'm setting up the trip so I can spend a weekend elsewhere in Europe. Where should I go?

Back