• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Europe Travel Assistance

Deep in my bar studies but getting more and more stoked for EuroTrip with Brasky. All the suggestions in this thread are badass. Most excited for Vienna because of all the great recs by Vad.

Just starts working for a Finnish company and will be headed to the HQ there this fall for a week. I'm setting up the trip so I can spend a weekend elsewhere in Europe. Where should I go?

Realize Finns don't have much of a sense of humor and they admit it.

Kahlenberg, Grinzing, and the war museum are the things I regret not being able to do in Vienna. Grinzing was actually recommended by a longtime Bavarian friend of mine with much enthusiasm. But again, we weren't really in a good place to do it, though in retrospect I think we could've done the war museum.Kahlenberg and Grinzing were in the north part of the city and not near any subway stops that I could see (though I'm sure I could've hopped on a trolley). We also weren't really night owls the entire time there because of the time difference. In the end, we just ran out of time.

(a suit and tie is perfectly fine for the Staatsoper as a tourist, btw)

So ... Wien. As a local band has sung with tongue firmly in cheek "You are the last Emperor - not a city, you're actually a museum". And it's very easy to come here, see the palaces (there's a bunch of them), visit the museums (there's a bunch of them), go to the opera (there's several), see the horses at the Spanish Riding School (they are beautiful), and basically just see a living museum of the pinnacle of the late 19th century. That's a cool visit, it really is. There's tons of guidebooks and internet sites to help you pick out what parts of the living museum you want to see - there's so much, just go with whatever strikes your fancy, you won't go wrong. Even the touristy trappiest of tourist traps in Vienna are good.

But that isn't Wien, and probably never was. A local Viennese once described the city to me as a bunch of coffee houses bordered by the river on one side and hills on the other, and that's probably as good a place as any to start with what to see here. This is a city that adores it's outdoors culture and treats it's coffee houses as communal living rooms that are sacred places where everyone is equal, at least for a few hours. Life is kind of lived in between one of those two places. Visiting in the summer time in particular, try to not get too trapped into just palaces and museums and spend as much time as possible in the parks, on the river, in the hills or in a coffee house.

A few things I highly recommend that aren't going to a museum or a palace:

#1 - Go up to the top of Kahlenberg, see the city spread out below and then hike down through the vineyards - stopping to drink in the various "Heuriger" (basically, wine huts). This isn't Napa, there's nothing fancy about it. You get a jug of wine, a jug of sparkling water, maybe a plate of cold cuts and cheese and everyone hangs out on the grass. As you hike down the Kahlenbergerstrasse you'll end the afternoon/evening in the area of Grinzing, have dinner in of the various more (very slightly) formal wine gardens there. Snobbier Viennese locals will turn their nose up a bit at going to Heuriger in Grinzing because it's where tourists go (to some extent) ... but that's also because it's incredibly picturesque and accessible.

IMG_7167-728x434.jpg

And by the way, while you are headed up to Kahlenberg in the morning - make sure to stop and spend a few minutes at Karl Marx-Hof which is one of the largest and longest social housing building complexes in the world, and a good reminder of just how "red" Vienna is and has been historically and is an icon of the social housing program that is the backbone of Vienna (40% of the population lives in some form of social housing or subsidized housing). The Guardian recently listed it as one of their 50 buildings that told of the stories of cities globally and had a great write up on it's history and symbolism for Vienna ( http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...politics-ideology-history-cities-50-buildings ).

wide

#2 Spend time on the Danube. There's a few ways of doing this, but my favorite is to rent a small electric boat (they are cheap - at places near the Donauinsel U-Bahn stop or on the Alte Donau) and cruise up and down. Feel free to bring snacks, drinks (public drinking is encouraged, not discouraged - just don't do it while behind the wheel of the boat), pull over wherever you want along the shore and even swim in the river. There's also various restaurants and bars along the shore that cater to the crowd in and around the water, so pop out and then back in. Be aware that several parts of the Donauinsel and Alte Donau are FKK (free body culture) areas ... so if you're on a boat and cruise past one of those, you're going to see some naked Viennese. Nobody gives a shit, you probably shouldn't either.

freizeit-wien-donauinsel-4.jpg

You can also go to one of the giant parks that line the river. Prater is the oldest and most famous, and the Donauinsel is where most of the active (cycling, running, etc) stuff happens. These are huge parks, with various bars and cafes in them to quench your thirst after you've been doing whatever it is you do to keep yourself active (or just sitting on a blanket in the sun). On any sunny day these will be PACKED.

81E0DOPX-AG9V-ZIPG-YVFC-OTM41OLQBISX-728x434.jpg

#3 Be young and hip for a night. Spend the late afternoon and early evening in the various seasonal bars and huts that line the Donaukanal through the center of the city. Check out the graffiti and public art (the walls of the Kanal are given over to street artists) and dangle your feet off the edges over the water and talk about serious things (or just stare at the city center and make out, whatever) while drinking a few Aperolspritzer or cold beers.

41003-donaukanal-adria-wien-sommer-outdoor-3to2.jpeg

Move on over to the MuseumsQuartier as the sun goes down, to hang in the courtyard of gorgeous 19th century imperial buildings which have now been turned over to the youths to seemingly do what they want. Various bars are around the edges but BYOB is the law of the land for the youngsters who fill the place on the weekends (one of the most famous art museums in Vienna - the Leopold, which is truly excellent - turns into a packed nightclub later on the weekends). Drink a few more beers as the stars come out, lay on a giant goofy plastic bench/seat thing, maybe grab some dinner and people watch.

museumsquartier-sommer-im-mq-innenhof-outdoor.jpg

By midnight or so, time for some music. You can slide around the back exit of MQ to an infamous club called Donau - the walls are covered in projected visual art of all sorts of wierdness, and the music is some indescribable something that's definitely newer and cooler than you are supposed to know. There's a sausage stand inside the club (even has vegan sausages, blech) and the smoking zones are repurposed ski gondolas. It's that kind of place ... basically, if you designed the stereotypical "too cool for everyone to really know what the hell is going on" European nightclub, it'd be Donau. Somehow it's actually good though. Don't ask me how that is.

#4 Spend at least an entire afternoon in a coffee house. These are the living rooms of the city, institutions so ingrained into city life that it's impossible to imagine a Vienna that doesn't have it's coffee houses. They are some combination of open work place, discussion hall, dive bar and diner all wrapped into one and each has it's own rhythm and feeling. There's literally hundreds upon hundreds in the city, and people have STRONG FEELINGS on which is better than another. I would say that while the oldest and most famous ones (Central, Landtmann, Havelka, Demel and the one inside the Hotel Sacher) are beautiful, the large of number of tourists does hamper the vibe in them to some extent. A few of my favorites are here, but honestly - just pick one slightly away from the dead center tourist area, bring some reading material or a sketch book or whatever, and go and sit and spend ... some amount of time. Just hang. It's the most Viennese thing you can do.

Cafe Prückel
Cafe Alt Wien
Cafe Hummel
Cafe Sperl

10.jpg

This is either the most eastern "western" city or the most western "eastern" city and one of the oldest truly multicultural cities in the world. You will hear 10 languages minimum on any regular day in the U-Bahn, and the wild mix of ethnicities and backgrounds has always fueled a very diverse and varied cultural scene that has always made the city stand out among major European capitals. Wien isn't Austrian, it isn't German, it's just ... Wienerisch. There's a specific kind of "cool" that the city has (the Wiener Schmäh) - a sort of aloof, roguish charm that in a lot of ways is a knowing wink at the history and ridiculousness of life here among the museum pieces, along with an arrogance of the quality of life and culture (there's a sign in the MuseumsQuartier that captures this perfectly - it just says "Wien hat Kultur." / Vienna has culture. ... the period at the end is a perfect amount of arrogance).

The best thing about Vienna is that life isn't forced to be fast here, and as a tourist it's so hard to get that feeling because you are rushing from one site to another. You can do that, it's great. But it'll miss the essence of the city.

For someone like me who has lived in Vienna for limited periods twice and visited many times, this might be the best post in the history of OGB. It perfectly explains why I love Vienna and provides great insight into why Vienna deserves more than a few days of seeing fin-de-siecle showpieces. It also makes me want to go back. Immediately.

Oh, and for the record, this is my favorite coffee house:
Cafe Diglas

Reading the Americans complaining about the service on Yelp makes me love it even more.

Last edited:
Just starts working for a Finnish company and will be headed to the HQ there this fall for a week. I'm setting up the trip so I can spend a weekend elsewhere in Europe. Where should I go?

I assume you've been to Europe before, right? If so, don't go anywhere you have been.

Because you'll be in the northeastern corner, I would recommend staying up there. Tallinn or St. Petersburg would be my first two thoughts. Alternatively, Stockholm, Copenhagen, or rural Norway wouldn't be bad ideas either.

I assume you've been to Europe before, right? If so, don't go anywhere you have been.

Because you'll be in the northeastern corner, I would recommend staying up there. Tallinn or St. Petersburg would be my first two thoughts. Alternatively, Stockholm, Copenhagen, or rural Norway wouldn't be bad ideas either.

Ahem:

I "cured" a goth kid

I'm presently in a community theatre performance, and there are lots of teenagers in the cast. One of the cast members is a high school kid who wore all black clothes, painted her fingernails black, wore eyeglasses with heavy black frames, and lots of black/gray makeup. Early on, I jokingly asked her if she was planning to burglarize some businesses in her black attire, and she just gave me a bad look and didn't say anything. Over time, I started talking to her (along with the other teenagers) during practice about school, hobbies, friends, etc., and she began engaging in conversations in complete sentences without making a bad face. In the course of talking to her, I realized that she didn't have a father or father-figure in her life, so I started encouraging her especially with school, her part-time job, her singing ability, and so forth just to provide whatever little positive influence I could. A couple of weeks ago, she showed up to practice wearing contact lenses and a fashionable haircut. It was more of a "Joan Jet" style of haircut rather than a "Kate Upton" style, but it was stilll more fashionable than what she previously wore. And she had these strikingly deep dark eyes that I'd never noticed before. I casually told her that I liked her eyes. When I said that, it was the first time I'd ever seen her smile. Over the course of the next few days, she gradually started wearing colorful and fashionable clothes and more normal makeup. Now she looks and acts like a normal teenager, and she holds her head up and talks without scowling. I'm sure a lot of factors went into her dropping the goth act, but I hope I had a small part in it.

Dunno what that has to do with my question, but thanks. And yes, I've been to Europe many times, just never Scandinavia or much in northern/Eastern Europe other than Germany and Prague.

Dunno what that has to do with my question, but thanks. And yes, I've been to Europe many times, just never Scandinavia or much in northern/Eastern Europe other than Germany and Prague.

I really enjoyed Stockholm when I went about 7 years ago. Dont have any recs because I cant remember shit. Did buy Plan B there which was a hell of an experience.

Went to the pharmacist and of course she spoke English. Sweet. Problem was that slang doesn't translate and Plan B is obviously not the real name of the drug. So there I am, all flustered and all i can think to say is "I dont want a baby". She nods knowingly and proceeds to bring me condoms. At this point, there are fifteen people behind me and I just nervously yell "already had sex!". An understanding was reached and a product was secured.

St. Petersburg is pretty sweet, but getting a visa to visit Russia right now is an enormous pain in the goddamn ass.

Riga is the Baltic city that everyone goes to visit and party in. It's quaint and beautiful and has a wild night life scene.

ns_d394442AMAZINGRIGA.jpg

so in the end we opted to do our weekend in Amsterdam, since tickets for my wife's roundtrip flight were cheap. We're just on the hook for our Helsinki-Amsterdam flight. The cheapest options are SAS (via Copenhagen), Air Baltic (via Riga), and Ukraine (via Kiev). Thinking SAS, though it's slightly more.

Also, any Amsterdam recs other than the obvious big tourist attractions? I've been twice with my parents as a kid, so we've done the major museums and walked around, but I know nothing of bars, restaurants, "other" activities...

Anyone ever fly Norwegian? We've been looking for a trip to take in the spring and they fly JFK to Paris direct on 787's for $425 round trip.

Going to a wedding in Santorini, Greece next April. Anyone with a rec on best way to get there?

Debating on flying somewhere like Munich and spending a few days before catching another flight direct. Also potentially doing Athens and then a ferry. Anyone done something similar?

Anyone ever fly Norwegian? We've been looking for a trip to take in the spring and they fly JFK to Paris direct on 787's for $425 round trip.

Oslo airport kind of sucks as a place to layover, but otherwise I had a good experience. For a direct flight, it would be fine. It's a budget airline but it was comfortable.

How far out should you book flights to Europe? I am heading to Italy in April 2017 and its looks like heading to ATL will give me the best price. Right now going out of Charlotte is about $1200-$1300 vs $950 or so out of ATL.

Headed to Europe in a couple weeks.

Fly into CDG, Paris for 4 days, Amsterdam for 3 days and fly out of Schiphol.

Airbnb in both cities. Paris in the 6th, 2 blocks from Odeon metro. Amsterdam is more residential, looks to be between Oosterpark and Park Frankendael.

Anyone have any recommendations near either spot? I've done Paris a few times and Amsterdam once, first time for wife for both.

Back