• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Europe Travel Assistance

Definitely get the car and drive - it'll be faster than the trains, and give you more flexibility ... especially if you have your whole family. You won't be driving in the cities, but to go between ... or just see the countryside, it's still by far the best option. Driving in Germany and Austria is incredibly safe and easy as well, great roads, signs, drivers, etc.

Thanks for the advice. I plotted out on Google maps different routes between cities; itinerary ranges from as little as 9 hours of total drive time to as much as 20. That seems like a lot, but then again, we'll be there over a 12 day period. Don't worry, HP - we're going to spend two nights in Venice!

vad, what about driving in Prague and the Czech Republic in general? I've read some stories about crooked police shakedowns, etc... Blown out of proportion, I assume?

Hey Deacs! Anyone know a good place in Valencia Spain to watch the tourney? Buzz out and Wellman out!

vad, what about driving in Prague and the Czech Republic in general? I've read some stories about crooked police shakedowns, etc... Blown out of proportion, I assume?

Blown waaaaaaaay out of proportion. Maybe right after the wall came down, but Czech is basically a well to do modern western European nation now. You're more likely to get that kind of stuff in Spain or Greece.

Blown waaaaaaaay out of proportion. Maybe right after the wall came down, but Czech is basically a well to do modern western European nation now. You're more likely to get that kind of stuff in Spain or Greece.
Is it safe for me to go to Barcelona alone?

Thanks for the advice. I plotted out on Google maps different routes between cities; itinerary ranges from as little as 9 hours of total drive time to as much as 20. That seems like a lot, but then again, we'll be there over a 12 day period. Don't worry, HP - we're going to spend two nights in Venice!

They you should probably just turn the car back in to the rental agency instead of parking it for two days.

That wouldn't make any sense. Renting in Italy is more expensive, not to mention the fact that it would then include two one-way rentals.

That wouldn't make any sense. Renting in Italy is more expensive, not to mention the fact that it would then include two one-way rentals.

You're flying in and out of the same city?

Eta: Whatever.

Hey Deacs! Anyone know a good place in Valencia Spain to watch the tourney? Buzz out and Wellman out!

No but Valencia is incredible. I suggest doing pretty much anything but watching basketball.

I'll be in Barcelona this summer, might have to hop down to Alicante for someplace for a festival.

Keep in mind that the cost of gas in Italy is also beyond insane. Something like three times more expensive than here I believe. It adds up fast.

No but Valencia is incredible. I suggest doing pretty much anything but watching basketball.

I'll be in Barcelona this summer, might have to hop down to Alicante for someplace for a festival.

Doing my masters here. I have been to Alicante. Amazing city. Look me up if you get here. I am here till August!

Doing my masters here. I have been to Alicante. Amazing city. Look me up if you get here. I am here till August!

Nice. The summer will be crazy. Definitely look in to hopping around to a few festivals. I had the time of my life in Alicante for two weeks when I was in high school.

I was in Valencia last January for a few days, just got confirmation on Barcelona this summer semi for work. All in all, Spain is probably my favorite country in the world. The food, the weather, the people. You really can't beat it. And its cheap too. Not many places in the world I could live outside of the US, but anywhere on the mediterranean coast of Spain, I could do.

Spain is fantastic. Mrs siff and I are going to move there when we retire. First, I must learn Espanol.

This trip is killing me.

So, my wife REALLY wants to go to Prague. Not that I don't, but the potential travel times are crazy. Curious is anyone has flown Germanwings before. I can get flights for all five of us from Zurich to Prague for about $500. It's a three hour flight with a connection in Cologne. If we do that, we can then take the train Prague - Salzburg; Salzburg - Munich; Munich - Zurich.

Venice is out, I think. We'll make that trip all an all-Italy one next year or the next.

This reduces my train travel time from ~25 hours to ~14 hours. It would allow us to travel to Lucerne, or even south of there, for a couple of days on a quick train ride from Zurich after we arrive.

My head is about to explode. I need this thing done. Help.

Just saw this, vad. Sorry. Running out the door to a soccer game so I'm going to miss you. Maybe you can PM me your email address and I can we can figure out some time to talk. I appreciate your help - and sorry about Spurs

This. I always felt safe when I was in Germany/Austria Summer '02, but almost lost my wallet and passport to a pickpocket in Athens, when I was working there in summer of '09. I spent most of my time in Spain in the Andulusia province (Caidiz, Rota, Seville, etc.), but did make a trip up to Madrid for a weekend. Never felt unsafe at any time.

Back