• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Europe Travel Assistance

Alright experts (Vad), talk to me about getting from Budapest to Prague by rail...

Alright experts (Vad), talk to me about getting from Budapest to Prague by rail...

don't recall many details. however, back in 2007 the wife and i did budapest -> vienna -> prague. if i recall it was about 3 hours by train for each leg so you might have twice that? (not looking at a map). we bought our tickets directly from the train station. it was easy enough to do and find our train. went smoothly and was relatively inexpensive.

The last time I went by rail from Budapest to Prague was under communism in 1984. The track was pretty uneven in those days. I don't know how it is now. The train trip should be about 7 hours or so. When will you be in Budapest?

don't recall many details. however, back in 2007 the wife and i did budapest -> vienna -> prague. if i recall it was about 3 hours by train for each leg so you might have twice that? (not looking at a map). we bought our tickets directly from the train station. it was easy enough to do and find our train. went smoothly and was relatively inexpensive.

I will be making this exact trip next summer. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.

I hired a car to take me and my family from Prague to Salzburg. It was very reasonable and they were fantastic. PM me if you want their contact info, as I'm sure they do the Prague-Budapest route.

The last time I went by rail from Budapest to Prague was under communism in 1984. The track was pretty uneven in those days. I don't know how it is now. The train trip should be about 7 hours or so. When will you be in Budapest?

From everything I've found, the trip should be 7 hours. We are thinking about taking the overnight train to minimize the impact the travel will have on our schedule since the length of the trip is kind of awkward. We'll be there in Mid-September.

I hired a car to take me and my family from Prague to Salzburg. It was very reasonable and they were fantastic. PM me if you want their contact info, as I'm sure they do the Prague-Budapest route.

I appreciate the offer, but I'll pass. We're starting in Budapest, then going to Prague, and we'll end up in Munich which is where we'll depart.

Planning a honeymoon to Italy for November 16th-Dec 1st or so. Our thoughts at first were to do Florence --> Siena/Tuscany --> Rome --> Naples --> Sorrento area. We have the help of a travel agent who told us a lot of things around Siena and Sorrento might be closed in that time period because of it being the down season. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience regarding this?

An alternative plan would be to do a little less time in Siena and maybe Sorrento and start the trip in Venice instead. Thoughts on this? Both my fiance and I have been to almost everywhere on this list, but we love Italy so we're going again.

I love Venice and would definitely want to go back. We did Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, and then Venice for our honeymoon and it was amazing. That was our first trip to Italy though, so if you've been you'll have a better idea of what you would like/want to see.

Worked outside of Naples Summer 2008. Had some interesting sights and fairly close proximity to touristy sites like Pompeii, but definitely not a must for any trip to Italy. Plus the city garbage workers were on strike, so the streets had random piles of garbage all throughout, and the city reeked to high heaven.

Rome of course, is a must, but I could not imagine going to Italy without spending at least a whole day at Florence.

Bump.

Great info in this thread. The gf and I are doing some version of Zagreb > Budapest > Vienna > Prague this summer with Croatia negotiable for Germany. Sounds like a few folks have done similar trips. Anyone have any additional advice or recs based on some of the trips that were mentioned back in 2013?

Worked outside of Naples Summer 2008. Had some interesting sights and fairly close proximity to touristy sites like Pompeii, but definitely not a must for any trip to Italy. Plus the city garbage workers were on strike, so the streets had random piles of garbage all throughout, and the city reeked to high heaven.

Rome of course, is a must, but I could not imagine going to Italy without spending at least a whole day at Florence.

Someone bumped this so I'll respond! We ended up doing Sorrento --> Rome --> Siena --> Florence --> Venice. Fantastic restaurants in Sorrento and Siena, I'll recommend some to anyone who wants to know. Hotels as well, but we were living kind of large.

We're doing Marrakech --> Portugal --> London (ending there to visit friends mostly) next Labor Day, so I'll probably try to find this thread again, if I even remember.

Ah Napoli. I lived there in the 80's when my dad was stationed at the NATO base. I was 12 or so. For 2 years we saw the Same stuff going on. Nice to know nothing changes there. We were on the bus to school once and some group was starting up their strike. burning tires etc. A few buses turned around to leave (we were downtown) but I guess our bus driver really Did not want to take us all home so before the tire fire was really going he drove right through it. We were really excited there for a moment when we thought we were getting a day off school. No dice.

I'm going to Paris and Normandy this summer and I'm gonna stay in a castle. Anything else I should do?

if you're not going to Omaha Beach you're missing out on a huge opportunity.

because__murica_by_redalgae-d64g72t.png

Back