• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Europe Travel Assistance

Cities

The most obvious major tourist city near Stuttgart is Munich. Frankly, it's not my favorite place in the world. It's a big, busy industrial, manufacturing and business city with all of the curses of modern suburbia and sprawl that those entail. The old parts of the city and beer halls are packed with tourists at all times, and there's very little that's "authentic" about the experience anymore. It's kind of more "Bavarian Theme Park" than anything else, unless you are out in the suburb areas and then those are just as boring as American ones. Yes, the beer halls are cool and ancient ... but mass tourism has really hurt the experience. You're more likely to meet an American, Swede or Japanese citizen in Munich than you are any Bavarians. If you go, Augustiner is still the highlight of the beer gardens.

photo-1-3.jpg

Heidelberg is not far from Stuttgart and is one of the very few German cities which didn't suffer severe damage in WW2. It's a famous university city with gorgeous old cobble streets and stereotypical "German" architecture. Just a pretty, fun city. Probably better to visit when the university is in session (runs through early summer, the German calendar is different than ours).

banner.jpg

Berlin is ... Berlin. It's the current capital of all that's cool in Europe right now. The best music, the best bars, the best nightlife, the best art. Berlin is right now what Paris was in the 20s or London in the 60s ... it's where everyone young, cool (or who thinks they are either of things) on the entire continent is wanting to be. Much like Brooklyn of the 90's-00's it's starting to fall victim of it's own success a bit (too much money following the hip scene and gentrifying things too much) but it's still awesome. If you are going to one city in the German speaking world, it should be Berlin. Stay in Kreuzberg or Prenzlauer Berg and soak in the crazy scene around you. Eat street food. Get fucked up out of your mind in crazy ass warehouse nightclubs. Go see the bleeding edge of European modern art.

Badehaus-Simpla.jpg

Hamburg is GERMANY with capital letters. It's so Prussian that it hurts. Strict, uptight, riiiiich and painfully clean. Everything is white, black or grey to an extent you think the whole city might exist in an alternative color free world. And then there's St. Pauli. The district where all that pent up rule following goes out the fucking window. The "sinful mile" of the Reeperbahn is the largest red light district in Europe and the entire district is famous for it's out of control hedonism. It's not just the hookers, the nightlife in general is off the hook. Drink at crazy bars, party until God knows what hours of the morning and see all the fucking punks, freaks, geeks, queers and who the hell knows what else in all their glory. Somehow the stark contrast between the rest of the city and St. Pauli make it even more awesome. Whatever you do, go spend a night at the infamous Golden Pudel near the fish market ... of the all the shady divebars/nightclubs in the world, it might be the shadiest (and thus, best).

Pudel.jpg

Don't visit the Swiss cities. They are boring and expensive.

Vad just gets it. Berlin was my favorite city i went to in Europe. Wish I had double as much time to spend there as I did. Food was so nice coming from Spain. So many young people and crazy clubs. Casual dress everywhere. A bunch of people at our hostel went to the forest in Poland for a festival of just Berlin Dj's. We had to leave early the next morning and couldnt go. Still uspet about it.

Hello Pit Travelers,

After I go on an archaeological dig in Israel this summer, a friend and I will be heading to Europe for a few weeks before the semester starts back up. I have narrowed it down to my top 6 cities in Europe which I have not visited. These cities happen be in easy traveling groups of three. Therefore your assistance is needed in helping me determine which of the following two trips would be the best:

Trip A: Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm
Trip B: Vienna, Prague, Munich

Thanks!

BUMP

Manifest and I are very close to booking Trip B: Munich-Vienna-Prague in mid-May. I also may hang around by myself for another 4-5 days and head to Berlin. Or should I go to Budapest?

I'm going to scan this thread, but any other suggestions are welcome. As of now our only goal is to attend the Bayern-Hamburg match on May 14th, which is the day we are planning to land.

Last edited:
I did Prague-Vienna-Budapest this summer. All three were great, and I'd highly recommend Budapest. Never been to Berlin or Munich, so can't comment on those. I was initially thinking about doing your trip, but what swung me to Budapest over Munich was that Munich was closer and more central to a lot more places I wanted to see, and would be a lot easier to work into future itineraries.

Feel free to PM with any questions. It was a great trip, and I'm happy to talk about it.

BUMP

Manifest and I are very close to booking Trip B: Munich-Vienna-Prague in mid-May. I also may hang around by myself for another 4-5 days and head to Berlin. Or should I go to Budapest?

I'm going to scan this thread, but any other suggestions are welcome. As of now our only goal is to attend the Bayern-Hamburg match on May 14th, which is the day we are planning to land.

Depending on the timing of your flights, how you sleep on planes, and the assigned kickoff time, getting to the Allianz might be a bit much. The airport is at the end of the S-Bahn line so you'd have to go to your hotel, drop your shit, and then go pretty far back in the direction of the airport to get to the stadium. WifeyDeac and I were complete zombies the day we landed in Europe this fall and wouldn't have been able to do an enjoy something similar.

If I had an extra 4-5 days I would spend them all in Vienna.

BUMP

Drop Munich and go Berlin-Prague-Vienna. In many ways Vienna and Berlin are polar opposites, but, depending on the vibe you're going for at any given time, both can be amazing. I can't recommend both highly enough.

BUMP

I'll second the Berlin -> Prague -> Vienna trip. Berlin is just better than Munich in basically every way.

My plan for the five days would be: every day ride the 95m swings at Prater until I throw up, eat a käsekrainer, get beers on Donauinsel, dinner at a wine tavern, then go to Schwedenplatz and wander around First from there. Unbeatable.

I did Munich-Vienna-Prague-Berlin last year and it was a great trip. We seriously debated Budapest vs. Berlin, but it came down to flight timing and price (my friend was flying on miles and it was damn near impossible to get an award ticket out of Budapest). Vienna was definitely my favorite of the 4 cities, but I thought all of them had wonderful things to see, do, eat and drink. I was really torn on going to a concentration camp (I just thought it might be too sad/heavy for a celebratory vacation), but I am really glad we did (and also glad we knocked it out early and moved on to happier things for the rest of the trip).

I'll second the Berlin -> Prague -> Vienna trip. Berlin is just better than Munich in basically every way.

I loved Berlin but have already been. Granted, i would love to spend more time there but havent been to Munich. Also, we are planning on attending Bayern's final home game. Would either of those facts change your mind or would you still say scrap Munich and return to Berlin? Brasky has not been to either.

I did Munich, Salzburg, Vienna, Budapest last summer. I loved Munich and didn't care for Vienna much. I'm probably more an #amateurhourdeac tourist so I liked the beer halls/gardens and the old town of Munich (the day trip to Neuschwantstein was awesome too). Vienna just seemed like Paris-lite to me.

BUMP

I did Budapest-Prague-Munich a couple years ago for Oktoberfest - good times. Budapest was super cool - it was my favorite place.

It sounds like you're planning to fly into Munich anyway since you want to catch a Bayern match (also very fun - we did that while we were there) on the night you arrive. If Manifest has been to Berlin, but neither of you have been to Munich, why not do a couple nights there? You said you've got the option to extend your trip and catch Berlin anyway.

I second the advice not to do the one thing you really want to do on the first day you're there. I'm like a zombie until I crash the first night.

Thanks for the advice dudes. The Bayern game we want to go to is the last of the season, so its that day or never. I'm normally cool on the first day after traveling internationally, probably because I'm all hyped up. The second day is when I want to sleep. I think our Munich-Vienna-Prague itinerary is pretty locked in.

I have an extra week I can stay before I need to get back for school/work. I just have to get back to Prague so that I can fly out and not mess up our flights. So I was thinking about grabbing a quick flight to either Berlin and Budapest when Manifest leaves and then work my way back by train. Anyways we have a lot of exciting options! Just need to get the round trip flights booked. Manifest hurry up and get your shit together and lets fucking book it.

How long are you guys planning on being in Vienna? We'll defs have to get some beers and I can do a bit of tour guiding.

Thanks for the advice dudes. The Bayern game we want to go to is the last of the season, so its that day or never. I'm normally cool on the first day after traveling internationally, probably because I'm all hyped up. The second day is when I want to sleep. I think our Munich-Vienna-Prague itinerary is pretty locked in.

I have an extra week I can stay before I need to get back for school/work. I just have to get back to Prague so that I can fly out and not mess up our flights. So I was thinking about grabbing a quick flight to either Berlin and Budapest when Manifest leaves and then work my way back by train. Anyways we have a lot of exciting options! Just need to get the round trip flights booked. Manifest hurry up and get your shit together and lets fucking book it.

Take the hydrofoil down the Danube from Vienna to Budapest. Both airports are kind of poorly located, and the train is less fun - boat takes you center of city to center of city. They are basically booze cruises, so you can load up and make a day checking out the scenery along the river and getting slammered.

http://www.ddsg-blue-danube.at/eng/cruises_international_hydrofoil_to_budapest

I decided a while ago that I'd rather only visit foreign countries -- primarily those where I don't have the language -- with a friend who is an expert guide. I hate more than anything being that noob American abroad.

I'll be in the UK for all of July if any other PIT people want to join me and take advantage of vad's hospitality and visit Vienna. Sad I can't go with the SPRINK bros, but I'm booked solid.

Also, West Ham's first match in the Olympic Stadium is on August 3rd ... against Barcelona. Would love to go to that, but Townie's wedding is the weekend before (not in East London).

I decided a while ago that I'd rather only visit foreign countries -- primarily those where I don't have the language -- with a friend who is an expert guide. I hate more than anything being that noob American abroad.

I'll be in the UK for all of July if any other PIT people want to join me and take advantage of vad's hospitality and visit Vienna. Sad I can't go with the SPRINK bros, but I'm booked solid.

Also, West Ham's first match in the Olympic Stadium is on August 3rd ... against Barcelona. Would love to go to that, but Townie's wedding is the weekend before (not in East London).

Definitely. Give me an idea around what dates you are thinking of, summer in Vienna is pretty awesome (lots of outdoors parties / activities / etc).

Back