• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Europe Travel Assistance

Vad! Tell me about riding around Vienna/can I stay with you and wifey on either end of a trip?

Vad! Tell me about riding around Vienna/can I stay with you and wifey on either end of a trip?

I don't really have a true guest room so staying with me is probably not a great option, but I can probably help you find some cheap places to stay in the city (Vienna is very affordable).

As for cycling in the great Vienna area, there's a few awesome things. The first is the Donauradweg which is a dedicated (paved) bike path that runs basically the entire length of the Danube. You can ride sections of it as you want (say - from Vienna to Bratislava). You can also take your bike on the train for a short trip up to Krems an der Donau and ride through the Wachau Valley region, which is the Austrian prime wine region and a very hilly part of the country filled with vineyards and old castles. In Vienna itself is the Wienerwald which is the very tail end of the maps and makes up the west and northern part of the city. There's tons of riding (including a bunch of great mountain biking) and that's probably where I spend the majority of my time on my bike when I'm not just putzing around town and going to and from a cafe.

sweet- thanks for the info!

BUMP.

Wife and I will be taking trip to Paris, Rioja, and Barcelona in June.

We don't actually have much time in Paris (2 days and 3 nights); the majority of our trip (7 days) is in Spain. Anyone have suggestions about must-see/do things in Rioja or Barcelona? We're of course hitting up several bodegas in Rioja, but if anyone has suggestions about particular bodegas, we'd love to hear it. And in Barcelona, we're already planning a tour of the La Sagrada Familia. But what else should we do?

For those of us heading to Barcelona (you are welcome):

Inspired Gastronomy
Tickets (Avinguda Paral.lel 164) Albert Adria’s superb creative tasting menu; reservations on line one month ahead; up and coming neighborhood
Pakta (C/Lleida, 5. Tel: 93-424-81-52. Online reservations only info@riasdegalicias.com) also by Albert Adrià in Poble Sec artful blend of Japanese and Peruvian cuisines; drink pisco sour
Comerç 24 (Carrer Commerç, 24. Tel 93 319 21 02)
Saüc (now in the Hotel Ohla Barcelona, Via Laeitana, 49, 34-993-020-927) Also has a Gastronomic Bar opened for breakfast
Alkimia 79 Carrer Industria; 34-93-207-61-15
Igueldo (c/ Rosselló 186, 93-452-25-55) Basque cuisine and incredible selection of wines
Cinq Sentits (c/ Arribau 58, 93-323-9491)
Dos Palillos (C/Elisabets, 9. Tel: 93-304-05-13 next door to Casa Camper) former El Bulli chef de cuisine Albert Raurich,refined Asian tapas and tasting menu
Hisop (9 Passatge Marimon; 93-241-32-33)
Toc (Carrer Girona 59, 93-488-1148) brilliant modern Catalan cuisine with an outpost at the beach (sea below)…can be dull when the chef and his wife aren’t around
Coure Passatge Marimon 20, 932 007 532
Colibri has changed its name to Cesar Pastor, to reflect chef/ownership (Casanova, 212; 93 443 23 06)
Some people would add Hoffman to this list…I find it too old-fashioned

Bistro Catalan Cuisine
Fonda Gaig (c/Corsega 200. tel. 93-453-2020)
Gresca (c/Provença 230. tel. 93-4516193)
Bohemic (C/Manso, 42. Tel: 93-002-94-25) intimate bistro run by young chef with an El Bulli past
Vivanda in Saria, terrace, very local.

Classic Local Cuisine
Señor Parellada c/ Argenteria, 37 Tel.: 93 310 5094
Els Pescadors (Plaça Prim, 1. Tel 93 225 20 18) Expensive, delicious local seafood
El Merendero de la Mari (pl. Pau Vila 1. Tel. 93-221-31-41) relocated beach shack gone upscale
Kaiku (Pl/ del Mar 1, 34-932-219-082) A former beach shack overlooking the marina, great menu del dia in Spanish/Catalan; very limited hours; great for a Sunday lunch
Botafumeiro Gran de Gràcia, 81 very expensive classic Galician seafood house in Gracia
Cal Isidre Flors, 12 and Casa Leopoldo Sant Rafael, 24 both in the Raval
Taverna Can Roca (C/Gran de Sant Andreu, 290. Tel: 93-346-57-01. Easily reached by metro, famous traditional Catalan sit-down breakfasts from 9 a.m

Tapas
Tapaç 24 (c. Diputació 269, 93-488-0977) Open all day; great breakfast and progressively more touristic as the day goes, but quality stuff
Cal Pep (Plaça de les Olles, 8. Tel: 93-310-79-61
Estrella de Plata Pla de Palau 6, (34) 93 268 0635
Quimet I Quimet Poeta Cabanyes, 25 Tel: 934 423 142 Standing room only, in the Poble Sec
Agullers C/ Agullers, 8 Tel: 93 268 03 61
Bar Cañete (c/ de la Unió 17, 93-000-4494) within sight of the Rambla, chef-level tapas with locally sourced ingredients every day from noon to midnight.
Casa Lucio (c/ Vialadomat 59, 34-930-244-401) Deeply deeply traditional; no English spoken
Suculent (Rambla del Raval, 43. Tel: 93-443-65-79) partnership bet. Carles Abellan of Comerç 24 and young chef Toni Romero in spiffed-up tiny ancient eating establishment
Bar Celta (c/ de la Mercè 16, 34-933-150-006) A pulperia that specializes in octopus done in the Galician manner; serves albarino white wine in thick white bowls
Bar Seco Passeij de Montjuic 74 933 296 374

Vermut a gogo (some overlap with above)
Mam I Teca C. Lluna 4 934 413 335
Bodega del Poblet Sardenya 302 93 656 691 186
La Confiteria C. Sant Pau 128 (93 443 04 48) Old-fashioned décor, fun vibes very local
La Vermuteria del Tano C/ Bruniquer, 30
Casa Mariol c/Rosselló 442, tel: +34 93 436 7628 important owner
Bodega 1900 c/Tamarit 91, no phone Albert Adria’s new place
El Xampanyet c/Montcada 22, tel: +34 93 319 7003
Bodega Marín c/Milà i Fontanals 72, tel: +34 93 213 3079
Morro Fi c/Consell de Cent 171 (corner c/Comte Borrell), no phone
Taverna L’Espinaler c/Camí Ral 1, Vilassar de Mar, tel: +34 93 759 1589 accessible by local train

Wine and Cocktail Bars
41 Degree Chic spot attached to Tickets now is “tasting menu” only
Món Vínic (c/ Diputacio 249, 34-932-726-187) chichi and upscale but terrific choices from seven sommeliers
La Vinya del Señor Plaça Santa Maria 5 011-93-310-33-79
Calders Carrer del Parlament, 25 (933 299 349) Gin joint with fashionable crowd
Fun and inexpensive
La Paradeta (c/ Commercial, 12, along the Born Mercat. Tel 93 268 19 30 Fried seafood by the pound; no reservations, cash only
Granja Elena (Passaj Zona Franca 228. Tel. 93-332-0241), an immensely famous bar-cum-breakfast-joint beyond the Plaça d'Espanya
Xemei (Pasg. de l'Expositió 85, 34-935-535-140)fun Venetian restaurant on a steep street just below Monjuic's Greek Theater

For the location/the atmosphere
La Boquería produce market off La Rambla; Quim and Bar Pinoxto
Can Majo strategic location overlooking the manrina; ok paella for a Sunday lunch?
Restaurante Somorrostro C/ de Sant Carles, 11 Cute, cramped young bistro in the Barceloneta away from the tourist drag but disappointing save for the appetizers and the inexpensive wine
Cafè de l'Acadèmia (C/ Lledo, 1. Tel: 93-319-82-53)
L'Orangerie in Gran Hotel La Florida (Ctra. Vallvidrera al Tibidabo, 83-93. Tel 93 259 30 00) Sunday brunch with a view
Las Arenas, historic bullfighting ring transformed into flashy shopping mall with great views of the city; fun food court and casual restaurants a gogo
Casa Delfin Passeig del Born, 36 (Born-Ribera) Sidewalk café with good menu del dia; popular with the locals
BarRaval Hospital, 104 decent menu del dia on the Rambla del Raval
Cafè Salambó Torrijjos, 51 Popular institution in Gràcia, great after a movie on c. Verdi?
Birreria St Moritz Ronda de Sant Antoni 41 Interior by Jean Nouvel
La Cantina de la Marnina Seca Puerto del Forum Menu del dia and yatchmen?

Boutiques Gastronomiques
Jamonísimo (c/ Provença 85, 93-493-08-47)
Vila Viniteca (Carrer dels Agullers, 7. 93-902-327-777
La Botifarrareria Santa Maria (c/ Santa Maria 4, 93-319-91-23)
Can Ravel Aragó, 313 in the Eixample Dret;: cheese and delicacies; also popular at lunch (very expensive) with local toffs

Desserts
Espai Sucre (C/ Princesa, 53. Tel: 93-268-16-30)
Caelum (Palla 8, 93-302-69-93) Everything is made in various convents
Pasteleria Escriba (Gran Via 546. 93-454-75-35 and on the Rambla, near the Boqueria)

Worth the Trip
El Celler de Can Roca in Girona
Restaurant Sant Pau (C/ Nou, 10. in San Pol del Mar Tel: 93-760-0662)
La Cuina de Can Pipes (Barri Canyelles in Mont-Ras, Tel: 972-30-66-77
Toc al Mar Platje Aiguablava, 6, Begur 972 113 232

Gold mine.

In the final stages of planning a trip that starts in Paris and ends in Rome. Have hotels/airbnb's booked but having a bit of difficulty nailing down one segment of travel.

After the train from Paris to Aix-en-Provence, we are renting a car and staying outside Riez for 1 night. The next night will be in Florence. We had considered driving along the coast to Florence but the one way rental car fee into Italy is crazy expensive. The two other options I see are flying from Nice which is also fairly expensive or taking the train from Nice to Milan and then Milan to Florence. While the scenery there should be great, it will take 7 hours plus the drive to Nice.

Are there better options here that I am missing? If not, votes for plane or train?

Thanks.

Have you considered a bus ? I know it doesn't sound glamorous, but might be a decent option.

Honestly, I'd bite the bullet and pay the fee on the one way rental.

Brussels is beautiful in the Spring

BTjOl4o.jpg

Have you considered a bus ? I know it doesn't sound glamorous, but might be a decent option.

Honestly, I'd bite the bullet and pay the fee on the one way rental.

I'd prefer this but the fee is ~$600. Looking into train/bus to smaller towns and re-renting a car now. The train website I was using kept saying the only way to reserve a ticket to Florence was the route through Milan. But we shouldn't have any trouble taking a train somewhere into Italy from Nice without a reservation, right? Looks like it runs hourly into Ventimiglia from Nice.

Sounds reasonable to me, but I don't know how big of a PITA it will be to get a car in Ventimiglia and what their one-way dropoff fee is.

Yeah, that's what I have to figure out. From what I've seen so far, Ventimiglia is a no-go but Genoa would work. Looks like the insane one way renal fee is for crossing the border and/or longer distances.

Manifest and I are booked for 10 days in Munich-Vienna-Prague in late July/early Aug!

Due to work, school and bar exam taking; that's all we can do for now. Will definitely try to visit Berlin soon on a separate trip.

Vad are you going to be in Vienna around Aug 1st? I think that's when we take the train in from Munich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't have any plans currently to be out of the city then ... obviously stuff can change, but not taking our summer holidays until later. Hit me up when you are on your way for sure.

Bumping this thread. The Wife and I are doing the Prague, Vienna, Budapest trip in June. I see a lot of folks have chimed in already that they've done this or legs of this tour. EuroVad even lives in Vienna. What I haven't seen is a basic synopsis of recommended things to see or do in each city. I'm sure the usual touristy things are a mixed bag and some of the lesser touristy things are probably worthwhile. So beyond the hookers in Prague which are obviously off-limits, what should I do/see there, in Vienna, and in Budapest?

Bumping this thread. The Wife and I are doing the Prague, Vienna, Budapest trip in June. I see a lot of folks have chimed in already that they've done this or legs of this tour. EuroVad even lives in Vienna. What I haven't seen is a basic synopsis of recommended things to see or do in each city. I'm sure the usual touristy things are a mixed bag and some of the lesser touristy things are probably worthwhile. So beyond the hookers in Prague which are obviously off-limits, what should I do/see there, in Vienna, and in Budapest?

watch out for Syrians

Have only spent a couple days in each so my recommendations are probably pretty vanilla, but here goes:

Prague
-Drink the beer. It's phenomenal.
-It's a beautiful city to just walk around, particularly the old city center. The Charles Bridge is gorgeous.
-The astronomical clock is kind of cool to look at, but waiting for the "show" that happens on the hour is a waste of time.
-We went to the Karlstjen castle which was like a 45 minute train ride outside the city. It's at the foot of this small town that was kind of cool and it's very pretty there, but the tour of the actual castle was nothing special.
- The "dancing house" was pretty interesting to see
-They have a history of Communism museum there was kind of interesting but not something you can't miss. The Kafka museum sucked.

Vienna - (spent the least time here)
-Enjoyed the Schoenbrunn palace. If you've been to Versailles, it's got the same feel, but would be a good place to go if the weather is nice.
-There are the obvious site (Hofburg Palace, St. Steven's and the Opera House) that are worth seeing.
- I personally didn't love Vienna but it may be because I didn't have time to explore some of the less touristy things

Budapest
- The thermal baths were a pretty cool experience. Worth doing. Szechenyi is the most famous one.
- Budapest is lit up beautifully at night. I strongly recommend doing one of the night cruises they have along the Danube. There are longer ones with dinner or shorter ones where you grab a drink or two and just go up and river a little bit. Even if you don't do the cruise, at least walk along the promenade by the river.
- The Parliament building is really cool from the outside, but doing a tour inside is not really necessary.
- There is a House of Terror museum (similar idea to the Prague one, but pretty different in execution), which goes through the communist and violent history of Budapest, which is in a building that used to be the headquarters of the "secret police". Definitely get the audio tour if you do this museum, it would be impossible to follow otherwise.

Hope that helps.

My grandmother grew up in Tabor, about 60 miles south of Prague. If any of you get there, would you take a picture or two for me? On the list of places to go someday...

Two things I really enjoyed that may not be at the very top of the tourist lists are the Strahov Monastery in Prague and Karlskirche (St. Charles's Church) in Vienna. The library at the monastery is really cool and the on-site brewery was solid. The thing that was cool about St. Charles's Church was going up to the top of the dome and essentially being in the frescoes on the walls and ceiling. There is an elevator to a platform, but then you can walk up another 5-8 flights of stairs to get to the very top.

ETA: I thought the Sacher Torte at Demel was better than at Hotel Sacher, but the apfelstrudel at Demel was better than either.

Last edited:
I won't claim to be an expert, but here's the stuff I enjoyed in Prague and Vienna a few years ago.

Prague
- St. Vitus Cathedral in Prague Castle. The stained glass was amazing.
- The was some restaurant that had tables out on a patio just below the Strahov Monastery mentioned above. We sat out there and had some beers with a full view of the lower part of the city. Highly recommended.
- Didn't have a bad beer anywhere. Spent our last afternoon wandering from bar to bar in the old town area and having a different beer at each one. Ridiculously cheap.

Vienna
- Ridiculously good cordon bleu schnitzel at a random bar/restaurant called Gasthaus Engelhart. Bunch of old men drinking and smoking in there, and then we walked in.
- St. Stephen's Cathedral in Vienna, mostly for the rooftop viewing platform
- Kunst Haus Wien. Museum Hundertwasser was odd.
- Good beer pretty much anywhere here too.

Back