• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Europe Travel Assistance

deacdixieboy

Reaction score
Hello Pit Travelers,

After I go on an archaeological dig in Israel this summer, a friend and I will be heading to Europe for a few weeks before the semester starts back up. I have narrowed it down to my top 6 cities in Europe which I have not visited. These cities happen be in easy traveling groups of three. Therefore your assistance is needed in helping me determine which of the following two trips would be the best:

Trip A: Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm
Trip B: Vienna, Prague, Munich

Thanks!

Trip A you can take the ferry to each for a fun and beautiful way to travel. The only problem with Trip A is that those cities are just beyond crazy expensive now.

Trip B would be beautiful also. Prague and Vienna in the summer are pretty cool.

You are not going to go wrong with either choice.

Yeah Greece was option #3, but we've narrowed it down to those two now. A little afraid it'll be on travel alert following the elections, and after spending a month in Israel I want to feel safe again.

I've done almost all of Western Europe including Amsterdam (as well as all of Italy). However, I'm thinking about booking a one night layover in Amsterdam on my way to Israel. Obviously just to save a few bucks.............

Hello Pit Travelers,

After I go on an archaeological dig in Israel this summer, a friend and I will be heading to Europe for a few weeks before the semester starts back up. I have narrowed it down to my top 6 cities in Europe which I have not visited. These cities happen be in easy traveling groups of three. Therefore your assistance is needed in helping me determine which of the following two trips would be the best:

Trip A: Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm
Trip B: Vienna, Prague, Munich

Thanks!

You can't go wrong with either. I'd vote Trip B. Vienna and Prague are incredible cities. Don't know much about Munich, but it looked great in the Speilberg flick!

I've been to all of the cities you list except Stockholm. Unless it's sunny and warm (which you can't guarantee when planning the trip), I would definitely book trip B. Scandinavia is at its best in the summer, but its cities aren't all that great compared to central Europe. From people I've talked to, though, Oslo is easily the least exciting of the three. Living here, I would say you can do any reasonably touristy thing in two days. That being said, the reason most people go to Norway is not cities...it's nature and fjords in particular. Western Norway is pretty spectacular.

To add a little perspective to my comments, I studied abroad in Vienna and loved it and have now lived in Oslo for almost four years and am not so thrilled with it. So take that as you will. ;)

My wife and I did Budapest, Vienna and Prague back in December 2007. 3 days, 3 and 4. That worked very well with about 3 hour train between cities. Budapest was really cheap and Vienna really expensive. Prague was very reasonable. Rented a 2 bed room 2 bath apartment with kitchenette and washing machine for 800 us for 4 nights splitting the cost with another couple. I was in Munich when i was a teenager and would enjoy it again I'm sure.

My wife and I did Budapest, Vienna and Prague back in December 2007. 3 days, 3 and 4. That worked very well with about 3 hour train between cities. Budapest was really cheap and Vienna really expensive. Prague was very reasonable. Rented a 2 bed room 2 bath apartment with kitchenette and washing machine for 800 us for 4 nights splitting the cost with another couple. I was in Munich when i was a teenager and would enjoy it again I'm sure.

Traveling with a woman sounds miserable.

Thanks for the help guys! I'll let you know what we decide!

I lived in the UK and travelled most of Europe for 3 years. I'd probably go for Trip B. These cities are great examples of 'old' Europe. The architecture is amazing, there's lots of history. You'll probably also find plenty of English speakers, which makes things easier. Best way to get a feel for a city is to just put on comfortable clothes and shoes and do a lot of walking, meeting people, visit shops, restaurants, bars, museums. ie. Be a sponge and soak it all in. Also, take plenty of photos.
Have fun!
(2 of my kids have done study-abroad programs in college and loved it.......they also learned a lot)

Well, if you do trip B you can hit me up and grab some wine / coffee and really see Vienna with a "local". I'm always down for helping people discover stuff. Remember that a trip to Vienna is also basically a trip to Bratislava (it's effectively a suburb) and you can get the nightlife there easily if you want to as well.

I'd make a small change to trip B though - I'd do Prague, Vienna, Budapest. For several reasons:

#1 - Those are the 3 biggest old central european cities and tie the trip together neater - you can follow the history and links between the 3 clearly. Not the same with Munich / Bavaria, which shares little history with the other two.

Habsburg%20Empire.jpg

#2 - Budapest is just a much, much better tourist city than Munich. The Szechenyi Baths alone are >>>>>> anything in Munich. It's a truly great city to visit.

Budapest-baths-Hungary.jpg

#3 - You can ride the hydrofoil down the Danube from Vienna to Budapest. It's fucking awesome.

Budapest-vienna%20hydrofoil%20line%20Danube%2001.bmp

Well, if you do trip B you can hit me up and grab some wine / coffee and really see Vienna with a "local". I'm always down for helping people discover stuff. Remember that a trip to Vienna is also basically a trip to Bratislava (it's effectively a suburb) and you can get the nightlife there easily if you want to as well.

I'd make a small change to trip B though - I'd do Prague, Vienna, Budapest. For several reasons:

#1 - Those are the 3 biggest old central european cities and tie the trip together neater - you can follow the history and links between the 3 clearly. Not the same with Munich / Bavaria, which shares little history with the other two.

Habsburg%20Empire.jpg

#2 - Budapest is just a much, much better tourist city than Munich. The Szechenyi Baths alone are >>>>>> anything in Munich. It's a truly great city to visit.

Budapest-baths-Hungary.jpg

#3 - You can ride the hydrofoil down the Danube from Vienna to Budapest. It's fucking awesome.

Budapest-vienna%20hydrofoil%20line%20Danube%2001.bmp

Would you share a beer with a Pack fan? ;)

We made the Bratislava hop the last trip over. That was a blast...and cheap!

That hydrofoil down the Danube looks like the bomb. That just made my next trip list.

Habsburg%20Empire.jpg

Completely agree with this (ok, not the Bratislava part). And pos rep for the map of the empire that the 20th century forgot.

Hey did you guys know rj used to smoke weed? I don't think it's been mentioned on the boards before.

This is a timely thread:

I'm getting married in October and our honeymoon is Paris, Berne, Munich, Vienna, Budapest and then a flight to Edinburgh and then home. I've been to every city but Budapest, but we're going in the first week of December to check out all of the Christmas markets and holiday cheer. ANy thoughts/suggestions?

Back