• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

B. Times article on JTT

Good for JTT. As for Bzzz losing the team, I think that was a logical conclusion given just how awful this past season was. If not the team, then certain players. Who those players were is open for debate and speculation, but it is not unreasonable to think that some players and at times the whole team (minus McKie) were completely off the reservation last season. I know I PMed a knowledgeable poster or two this past season asking WTF was wrong with the team and whether or not Bzzz had completely lost them.

I don't dispute that at all. I do dispute what Collins said in his blog that time about Terrell and how he handled the post game, and used that (we had just lost to Wilmington after winning three straight) to come to that conclusion that early in the season.

Reading articles like this, to me, highlights the facts that were posted earlier. That -- especially with freshman -- it's going to be game to game, and they are dealing with so much more than what is just happening on the floor in one particular half of one particular game.

I don't mean to turn this into a Collins thread, I am just encouraged reading this about Terrell even more because of what Collins (and others, admittedly and justifiably as you said -- though I think the timing of Collins' blog was the worst part) had relayed throughout the year.

Good stuff from Terrell, here. I can't wait to see it translate on the court into production.

I don't dispute that at all. I do dispute what Collins said in his blog that time about Terrell and how he handled the post game, and used that (we had just lost to Wilmington after winning three straight) to come to that conclusion that early in the season.

Reading articles like this, to me, highlights the facts that were posted earlier. That -- especially with freshman -- it's going to be game to game, and they are dealing with so much more than what is just happening on the floor in one particular half of one particular game.

I don't mean to turn this into a Collins thread, I am just encouraged reading this about Terrell even more because of what Collins (and others, admittedly and justifiably as you said -- though I think the timing of Collins' blog was the worst part) had relayed throughout the year.

Good stuff from Terrell, here. I can't wait to see it translate on the court into production.

That blog post from early in the season was a textbook example of something I mentioned before on the boards... that DC was kind of pissed and bitter about not getting a lot of information about Dino's firing/Bzd's hiring on the record and that bitterness showed in some of his blog posts this year.

Did JTT just play the "young team" card? Guess he really did learn a lot from Coach Bz. :sketch:

Seems to me that it took some time for Collins to warm up (somewhat) to Bz (?). I agree that he (Collins) seems at times to take it badly when someone won't answer his questions...(JTT, Wellman, etc.)

Sorry, not trying to perpetuate the talk about Collins (who I generally appreciate). Just want to sort of agree.

I'm very pleased as a fan to hear the comments from JTT. Hoping for better things from him and the team next year, tough I sort of suspect the year after will more likely be the breakout season???

Collins seems like a great guy, but I can't imagine how he'd get torn up in a big city sports market. Winston is a nice town, with nice people who generally answer his questions. When they don't, he seems to take digs at them in his column. Something tells me that wouldn't fly in the big show (NY, Chicago, Boston, whatever).

Collins seems like a great guy, but I can't imagine how he'd get torn up in a big city sports market. Winston is a nice town, with nice people who generally answer his questions. When they don't, he seems to take digs at them in his column. Something tells me that wouldn't fly in the big show (NY, Chicago, Boston, whatever).

This is exactly how the New York media, especially the NY sports media, conducts itself.

For me, whether or not it showed in the stats, thought JTT actually improved his overall play across the last few months by playing with more control. His attitude also seemed much more serious as well.

As far as Dan Collins, it can't be easy being the local beat writer for a sports team and balancing fans and opinions and deference to the sports team and the contacts within the program. Many times during this season, posters in his blog and the Journal comments have blasted him rather unfairly for not being as outraged as they were when he consistently states he is not a fan. I would think his comments about accessability are little pokes at keeping the lines of communication open between WFU and himself.

I think Dan may still be bitter about getting the rug pulled from under him on the Dino firing. He spent a lot of words defending Wellman and Dino to the "Peanut Gallery" only to see Wellman fire Dino abruptly without giving him what he feels to be a good answer.

He's a good beat reporter, but I can't imagine it's easy to balance that with his blog.

JTT has NBA aspirations. I am sure it was deeply frustrating to figure out how far he has to go in improving his game to realize his dream.

That's what I read into his body language. He believes that Bzd is going to be a pretty good barometer of where he needs to be regardless of how well they do or don't get along, so he threw his trust into Bzd pretty completely.

JTT's attitude adjustment is a testament to his commitment and to maturing, but it is also a matter of him improving enough through the course of the year to feel he took a step or two closer to his dream. So he can now turn and look back and see the growth/improvement. Early on, I am sure it sucked that when he turned around he was seeing only the door he walked through and no journey/growth.

Collins gave JTT a lot of credit down the stretch for maturing in the lockerroom and improving his overall game. Let's not forget that when recalling the one post from December.

I do think there is a ways to go in Bz and Collins relationship, just from some of the interviews sounds like Bz takes offense to some of his questions. None of this matters at all of course except that DC is a pretty serious go-between in terms of public relations for the program.

But hell, losing sucks and it takes its toll on everyone.

I think what JTT has to say speaks volumes for Bzz.

DIno won, but I didn't feel any ownership beyond Ish/LD.

Me 1st, team 2nd.

In my opinion, Dan Collins is kind of a hack. I'm glad he recognized the maturation of Terrell and acknowledged it in his subsequent blog posts, but it was less his criticism than the tone of the article edit - blog (see, I have trouble with this) and the leaps he made, so it's not about balancing it out for me. The particular blog to which I was referring was after [Redacted] had already gone out of his way to compliment Terrell's attitude and willingness to learn and ask questions.

That being said, Dan Collins is also the best source for coverage of Wake Forest sports in the mainstream media. That and my personal opinion of him are not mutually exclusive.

I appreciate what Dan does even if I don't particularly think it is of a high quality. I do think the blog has been a really good idea, even if I have some issues with the gray area between beat reporter and opinion writer, but that's for me to figure out how to reconcile the two.

Last edited:
In my opinion, Dan Collins is kind of a hack. I'm glad he recognized the maturation of Terrell and acknowledged it in his subsequent blog posts, but it was less his criticism than the tone of the article and the leaps he made, so it's not about balancing it out for me. The particular blog to which I was referring was after [Redacted] had already gone out of his way to compliment Terrell's attitude and willingness to learn and ask questions.

That being said, Dan Collins is also the best source for coverage of Wake Forest sports in the mainstream media. That and my personal opinion of him are not mutually exclusive.

I appreciate what Dan does even if I don't particularly think it is of a high quality. I do think the blog has been a really good idea, even if I have some issues with the gray area between beat reporter and opinion writer, but that's for me to figure out how to reconcile the two.

Well said.

Because we have generally been neglected by the local media, I think people appreciate the attention he gives us in his columns and blog. That doesn't make him good at it. His opinion pieces are particularly horrible.

JTT has NBA aspirations. I am sure it was deeply frustrating to figure out how far he has to go in improving his game to realize his dream.

That's what I read into his body language. He believes that Bzd is going to be a pretty good barometer of where he needs to be regardless of how well they do or don't get along, so he threw his trust into Bzd pretty completely.

JTT's attitude adjustment is a testament to his commitment and to maturing, but it is also a matter of him improving enough through the course of the year to feel he took a step or two closer to his dream. So he can now turn and look back and see the growth/improvement. Early on, I am sure it sucked that when he turned around he was seeing only the door he walked through and no journey/growth.

Good post.

I think part of the attitude adjustment by JTT and really the team as a whole might have come from a desire to prove the critics wrong. This team was abused and eventually abandoned by the media and many Wake fans by the end of the season. It's human nature to want to prove your critics wrong. You also begin to rely only on those around you going through the same situation for strength.

I think if Buzz presses the right buttons throughout the summer this team might emerge as a really tight-knit, hard nosed, chip on their shoulder type of team. A team with that type of attitude can be very troublesome to play against. Obviously, this is all speculation and trying to read into and analyze emotion, we'll see where they really are pretty early on next season.

Watching the VT and GT games at the beginning of the ACC season it was quite easy to come to the conclusion that [Redacted] had lost the team. For at least those two games I believe he did. They did not care. Regardless, he has gotten them back, and I applaud him for that as it undoubtedly required a massive effort. To come out of a season as difficult as last with only one defection is actually a positive. I look for us to be significantly better than we were last year. I still have my doubts about [Redacted], but I think trial by fire will have done this group well, even though it was so excruciatingly painful for everyone involved at the time.

Back