• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shoulder/Rotator cuff Injury

Back in high school, I hit a ball off a tee during baseball practice and my left shoulder slipped in and out of joint real quick -- I believe it's called a subluxation. From time to time, I tweak it, either playing softball or lifting weights at the gym and it will hurt for a few days, although the pain has lingered at times up to a couple of weeks. I went to a doctor a few years back to get it checked out after having tweaked it for the 9,000th time, and ended up getting an MRI (worst experience ever). Physical therapy seems to be the way to go. It's just something I live with.

Back in high school, I hit a ball off a tee during baseball practice and my left shoulder slipped in and out of joint real quick -- I believe it's called a subluxation. From time to time, I tweak it, either playing softball or lifting weights at the gym and it will hurt for a few days, although the pain has lingered at times up to a couple of weeks. I went to a doctor a few years back to get it checked out after having tweaked it for the 9,000th time, and ended up getting an MRI (worst experience ever). Physical therapy seems to be the way to go. It's just something I live with.

Why on earth was an MRI the worst experience ever???

Was diagnosed with a torn labrum last Fall after 1-2 yrs of nagging discomfort (occasional pain...lots of clicking). All of this started with skiing (water) and was aggravated by skiing (snow).

Turned out the biceps tendon has two attachments near the shoulder and the top one was frayed. They snipped it loose, drilled a hole into the bone and re-attached it. In less than 2 months I was swimming.

Why on earth was an MRI the worst experience ever???

Not a claustrophobic person (or at least wasn't), but spending an hour laying motionless with my face 1.5 centimeters from a wall, unable to see anything, was kind of like being stuck in a coffin. Got out of that thing and immediately went and got hammered.

OK...fair enough. An hour is excessive. I think I was 20 mins or so.

Bumping this. Had shoulder surgery a few years ago that was originally thought to be a torn labrum, and turned into a lot more - had zero stability with multiple ligaments having to be tightened and one reattached to the bone. I was good about staying in the sling/stabilizer for ~6 weeks and doing the doc prescribed PT for at least that long, but it is giving me a ton of trouble again.

I think I may have resumed golf, exercise, etc. too soon, or maybe just re-injured it somehow. I lived with the previous injury for 2-3 years and put off surgery with PT/injections/etc, and am wondering if I'll have to do that again. Or at this point, am I just screwed and need to go back under the knife? Anyone with any similar experience?

jerk off with the other hand for a while

Regardless of how the injury occurred, find yourself a good sports medicine practice for treatment and rehab. Orthopedics are not something you should mess around with. Depending on where you live, I can possibly recommend a few good options.

As others here have said it really depends on how bad your injury is and what part of the shoulder it is. I tore my labrum in college playing flag football (i'm sensing a trend in this thread...) and had several issues with it moving forward.

First injury I had was a really severe dislocation and I had to go to the ER and be given muscle relaxers to calm my shoulder muscles enough to let the shoulder go back into socket. Was probably dislocated for 3-4 hours total and was a complete nightmare. Moving forward I had major issues for the next 2-3 years before I decided to have surgery (probably had it dislocate another 15-20 times doing simple things such as stretching, quickly reaching for something and the worst and most frequent movement was simply closing a shower curtain. Probably dislocated it 6-7 times with just that movement. Finally dislocated it really badly on a jet ski and elected for surgery.

Getting a top notch surgeon is the most important thing and they are worth their weight in gold. I had my surgery in mid-December and was extremely cautions with moving my arm after surgery and probably was overly cautious so as not to damage any of the repairs that were made. Did the rehab fairly regularly for the first 2-3 months and then just sort of went back to my day to day activities. Was back playing golf within 5 months and to this day have absolutely zero issues with it. I am very cautions to not let my arm get too high above my head, don't do any weight lifting exercises that would put the joint in an unstable position (any of the crazy cross fit stuff, power cleans, etc) but can still do basically anything I care to do in the gym. The surgery and recovery suck but if it leads to having a pain free life where you don't really ever have any discomfort or pain I think it's a no-brainer. Wish you luck, it's no fun.

I tore my rotator cuff playing either football, basketball, softball, etc. The surgery was not easy to come back from and I honestly believe that it has been re-torn. My Doc said that it is a lousy injury to recover from and the probability would be high that mine would be unsuccessful. He said, "it was like stitching wet tissue back together again..." Friends have opted to wait on the surgery and seem almost better off than me. Of course, I am not an ideal patient. i still go out and do stupid stuff like not warming up and playing games like I'm 20. Not smart.

I wish you well and let me know if I can give you any more advice. It's a bitch!

Bumping this. Had shoulder surgery a few years ago that was originally thought to be a torn labrum, and turned into a lot more - had zero stability with multiple ligaments having to be tightened and one reattached to the bone. I was good about staying in the sling/stabilizer for ~6 weeks and doing the doc prescribed PT for at least that long, but it is giving me a ton of trouble again.

I think I may have resumed golf, exercise, etc. too soon, or maybe just re-injured it somehow. I lived with the previous injury for 2-3 years and put off surgery with PT/injections/etc, and am wondering if I'll have to do that again. Or at this point, am I just screwed and need to go back under the knife? Anyone with any similar experience?

Had torn labrum repaired in left shoulder in March 2014.

Had torn labrum repaired in right shoulder in January 2016.

Left shoulder was a worse injury (had two separate tears and once they got in there they noticed a bunch of other stuff to clean up), but rehab/recovery went a lot quicker (probably because it was not my dominant arm). Took about 6 months to get back to normal exercise/activity, but I would say it didn't feel fully healed until 9-12 months out.

Right shoulder took forever to feel better. Well over a year... probably closer to 18 months. And having had the left one done previously, I was thinking I did something terribly wrong in my rehab because I wasn't getting the same results. It wasn't until recently (almost 2 years out) that I could throw without pain and it still feels stiff when throwing with any velocity.

Point being, I just think every recovery is different. Obviously, you should see your doctor and find out what he/she thinks it is. I worry quite often about reinjuring my shoulders given the cost of the treatment and all of the time it takes to recover. Sorry to hear you are having problems.

As an aside, I remember thinking Andrew Luck was insane when I heard he initially expected to be healthy enough to return for this full NFL season after having surgery to repair a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder. I can understand a DB or some other position being able to do that, but when you are throwing a ball, that's gonna be at least a year, at least from my experience (I realize I am not a professional athlete nor do I have access to their rehab).

I strongly recommend PRP and/or BMC for injuries like this. Sure, it's an out of pocket expense (unless it's worker's comp), but it's worth it.

Back