• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Black Iron Thread

leftcoastdeac

Robert O'Kelley
Reaction score
Because running in five fingers makes you look stupid, and your work out should include more than curls, brah.

Where are the Pit meat heads and how are you training?

Due to an institutional need to run (thanks, Army) and a pending PT test I had to cut my lifting back. Right now I'm on a 5 day work out schedule:

Monday - 8 x 400m intervals
Tuesday - Squat 3x5, Press 3x5, Power Clean 3x5, Push ups 3 sets to failure, pull ups 3 sets to failure
Wednesday - 3 mile run
Thursday 8 x 400m intervals
Friday - Squat, Deadlift, Power Clean, Push Ups, Pull Ups

Sat/Sun - Rest

Interesting reading for those who love the barbell:
startingstrength.com http://startingstrength.com/articles/army_weak_long.pdf
70sbig.com

And just to remind you to work harder:
A 1000 pound squat...like a bawce
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo1tU1YqPp0&feature=related

I'm a 165lb weakling. I had a nice run in the gym when I was a freshman in college, but I've since slacked off.

I pretty much only run anymore.

LCD, my schedule, when I'm working out, is an 8-5-3 system that my track team used in HS. I've always had good results with it. Basically, you can have either total body days or press/pull/legs days. Each day (or three days), you do five sets of 8, 5, or 3 reps of each exercise and rotate through 8s days, 5s days, and 3s days.

LCD, my schedule, when I'm working out, is an 8-5-3 system that my track team used in HS. I've always had good results with it. Basically, you can have either total body days or press/pull/legs days. Each day (or three days), you do five sets of 8, 5, or 3 reps of each exercise and rotate through 8s days, 5s days, and 3s days.

Do you increase the weight as the reps drop?

I had a pretty good run on the starting strength novice program - 3 days a week, 5x5 on all the primary exercises. I haven't done any bench press in a while because I hurt my shoulder in the Stan and bench aggravates the injury, but push ups don't.

Due to the need to run, I cut back dramatically as mentioned. Not only am I only lifting 2 days a week, but I cut the volume back to 3x5 and I'm not eating nearly as much.

I really haven't had any recovery issues, but I also haven't been able to increase weight like I was during january/february. In fact I deloaded my deadlifts recently because I was struggling and felt like my form was going to shit.

This is a good thread for this question:
I'm training for a tri and need to stay pretty lean (ok, very lean) but want to increase my strength, especially in my legs. What's the best way to do this w/out adding mass?

I'm training for a tri and need to stay pretty lean (ok, very lean) but want to increase my strength, especially in my legs. What's the best way to do this w/out adding mass?

Without a doubt, Squats (the barbell variety) - real squats, below parallel (startingstrength.com will give you plenty of detail on how to do them properly)

You'll need to increase your caloric intake slightly to support building strength and recovery. You can bump up your intake enough to make modest gains without adding size - essentially that's where I'm at right now.

I'd recommend 3 sets of 5 reps, 2-3 times per week.

Do you increase the weight as the reps drop?

I had a pretty good run on the starting strength novice program - 3 days a week, 5x5 on all the primary exercises. I haven't done any bench press in a while because I hurt my shoulder in the Stan and bench aggravates the injury, but push ups don't.

Due to the need to run, I cut back dramatically as mentioned. Not only am I only lifting 2 days a week, but I cut the volume back to 3x5 and I'm not eating nearly as much.

I really haven't had any recovery issues, but I also haven't been able to increase weight like I was during january/february. In fact I deloaded my deadlifts recently because I was struggling and felt like my form was going to shit.

Yep. 8s are lightest and 3s are heaviest. Really makes the whole thing tick

Buy a kettlebell and this book. When you know how to use them properly (in other words, without killing yourself) nothing can top kettlebells for functional strength.

enter-the-kettlebell-single.jpg

I'm doing pushups every other day. 3 sets of 50 right now.

On non-pushup days, I'm doing stairs and light running (<1 mile).

The last 6 or 7 weeks I've been pretty diligent in my exercise. M, W, F I do a 45 minute core workout class where the longest break is maybe 60 seconds and usually only 15-20 seconds. I've never done P90x but people who have and are in that class say they are similar... lots of push ups and ridiculous abs stuff, squats, lunges and various arm exercises with low weight and or bands. After that class (which is definitely tiring) I'll run for 10 minutes on the treadmill. On tuesday and thursday I'll run for 30 minutes on the treadmill and then do some light lifting after, I usually always do 3 sets of pull ups, some push-ups, curls, or whatever I feel like I need to lift. In that time I've probably gained 3 or 4 lbs, but I'm definitely leaner than I was. I'd guess I've put on 4-6 lbs of muscle and lost 2-3lbs of fat. The difference is that I've been taking protein shakes for the first time in my life. I've never figured I needed them because I've always been a big eater and what not, but they've definitely shown positive results.

Back