• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hawaii

You'd definitely be better off waiting on that Europe trip until Brasky has had a chance to explore and report back. He'll probably come back with 5 or 6 locations offering exceptional service for an affordable price.

I knew a couple of dudes from Winston that did their undergrads at Hawaii. Random eh?

I'm sure el chupra did a couple of undergrads from hawaii.

I was just reading up on the Hawaiian Trash Vortex earlier this morning. Gross.

Is Hawaii so much better than places in the Caribbean that it justifies the extra cost/travel time? Honest question.

Hawaii and the islands in the Caribbean are probably pretty similar except that Hawaii is the United States and the Caribbean is largely 3rd world.

Doesn't rain as much and is not nearly as humid in Hawaii as the Caribbean.

The Arizona Memorial is a must, as is the north shore and pineapple plantations. As close as I have ever experienced to a perfect climate.

Hawaii and the islands in the Caribbean are probably pretty similar except that Hawaii is the United States and the Caribbean is largely 3rd world.

Disagree. Hawaii is much nicer than almost anything in the Caribbean.

"Hawaiian trash vortex" caused me to read on. I found North Pacific trash vortexes, which led me to this photo of the carcass of an Laysan albatross found on Kure Atoll, near Midway

Moore-Trashed-PacificNov03a.jpg

What are the must-see spots on Maui? Heading there in Jan. I like long walks on beaches, photo bombing and carving driftwood.

What are the must-see spots on Maui? Heading there in Jan. I like long walks on beaches, photo bombing and carving driftwood.
-south side has nice beaches and kihei is affordable (wailea is nice but expensive)
-definitely do Road to Hana (hundreds of waterfalls, lots of unique beaches and cool local fruit vendors on the side of the road mmmm passion fruit)
-drive to the top of Haleakala if you like pretty sunrises/sunsets
-snorkling is cool to see the huge turtles and all of the humuhumus
-so many good food places (mama's fish house is #1 and it's neat to see all of the kite surfers there)

also once you get in the first thing i recommend is going to a grocery store and stocking up on this
4fe090bc-85c6-46df-aade-bd01375b14ff.jpg

We're planning to go to the Maui Invitational next year to see the Deacs - should be a good tourney with Kansas, Indiana, UCLA and Vandy. Anyone else going? Anyone been before and have suggestions re where to stay near the arena, etc?

We're planning to go to the Maui Invitational next year to see the Deacs - should be a good tourney with Kansas, Indiana, UCLA and Vandy. Anyone else going? Anyone been before and have suggestions re where to stay near the arena, etc?

This sounds amazing.

Rolfe I'm not familiar with Lahaina and the northwest end ('head') of the island. If I were going to the Invitational I'd stay in Kihei as it is more affordable, offers great beaches and it is also a central location for Maui excursions (37min to the arena, 13min to Wailea, closer to Haleakala and Road to Hana than Lahaina).

If you're going to spend most of your time at the tournament, stay in Lahaina or Kaanapali. Traffic between the West Side and the South Side (Kihei, Wailea) is usually not bad, but can turn into a nightmare if there's an accident. Lots to do on that side of the island, and not too far if you want to spend a day on the East Side.

There's a whole range of options from independent hotels to the chains to AirBnB with a large price range to match.

How long are you going and where are you staying?

Going to Oahu for a 3 day conference and then either 3 or 4 days in Maui. Still researching places to stay. Trying to stay below $300 a night. We'll be exploring the island and only need a clean bed w a roof over it at night.

Back