• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hawaii

also once you get in the first thing i recommend is going to a grocery store and stocking up on this
4fe090bc-85c6-46df-aade-bd01375b14ff.jpg

Will do. It should keep me regular.

Going to Oahu for a 3 day conference and then either 3 or 4 days in Maui. Still researching places to stay. Trying to stay below $300 a night. We'll be exploring the island and only need a clean bed w a roof over it at night.

With 3/4 days, chose between:

1) Road to Hana stopping at Keanae for banana bread, Puaa Kaa State Wayside Park waterfall (the one where you have to climb up and cross the aquaduct), Pīpīwai Trail with bamboo forest and 400 ft waterfall, and continue to drive around the backside - (Full day)
2) Makawao Forest hike and Haleakala for sunset (half day)
3) Big beach and Wailea boardwalk, snorkeling at Oneuli Beach (half day)
4) Kaanapalii beach and Black rock (half day)
5) Whale watching with Maui Adventures out of Lahaina (Half day)
6) Molokini & Turtle Arches Snorkel with Pacific Whale Foundation out of Maalea (Half day)

With 3/4 days, chose between:

1) Road to Hana stopping at Keanae for banana bread, Puaa Kaa State Wayside Park waterfall (the one where you have to climb up and cross the aquaduct), Pīpīwai Trail with bamboo forest and 400 ft waterfall, and continue to drive around the backside - (Full day)
2) Makawao Forest hike and Haleakala for sunset (half day)
3) Big beach and Wailea boardwalk, snorkeling at Oneuli Beach (half day)
4) Kaanapalii beach and Black rock (half day)
5) Whale watching with Maui Adventures out of Lahaina (Half day)
6) Molokini & Turtle Arches Snorkel with Pacific Whale Foundation out of Maalea (Half day)

Very nice thanks!

Two of the top 10 restaurants on yelp are poke shacks in Hawaii, and both are awesome. Poke poke poke.

I loved the big island, way more my speed than Oahu. And the volcano is running again.

Bump. Heavily considering Hawaii for a honeymoon in October 2019. Any and all updated resort recs appreciated.

Bump. Heavily considering Hawaii for a honeymoon in October 2019. Any and all updated resort recs appreciated.
No resort recs, but if you stay on Oahu I highly recommend renting a convertible and driving to the North Shore.
On my drive we:

- Visited the farmers market at the foot of Diamond Head,
- Stopped at the "From Here to Eternity" beach
- Ate lunch at Kona Brewery, most beautiful marina ever
- visited a nature preserve and swam in the Maunawili water fall
- Ate shrimp from Giovannis shrimp truck
- visited Matsumoto shave ice for desert and t-shirts
Drove back through the Dole pineapple fields as the sun was going down

Same, but Feb 2019. We're probably more looking towards Maui/Kauai based on activity factors.

Wife and I have been twice - in 2015 in Maui and this year on the Big Island (both times in January). Both times rented a convertible, so I second that rec from mdmh

Maui
- the the Road to Hana drive (we stayed in the northwest part of the island); the drive itself was somewhat tedious in sections (so many turns) and I probably lost a few days off my life white knuckling certain parts, but it's definitely worth it to tour the black sand beach and the bamboo forest in Haleakala National Park (Pipiwai Trail)
- Haleakala National Park summit tour and sunset watch (bring a jacket). Seems the resorts tended to prefer recommending the sunrise tours, but we couldn't bring ourselves to get up at 4 am or whatever it would have been on vacation
- from what I remember, October might not be a great time for whale watching, but February should be good and did a great snorkeling/whale watching tour and saw a lot of activity (I'm sure wherever you are staying can recommend a specific group that does them)

Big Island
- we absolutely loved the Manta Ray night tour in Kona; pretty popular activity, but watching a sunset on a boat and then snorkeling with these huge animals was really fun
- we did a dolphin experience at the Hilton in Waikoloa Village (mostly because my wife was pregnant at the time and thought the dolphins would be aware and treat her differently...they didn't); it was fine but a little short and more expensive than I thought it would be; kids would probably like it though
- our big splurge was a helicopter tour of the whole island and I'd recommend that if you've got a flexible budget

My wife took me on a surprise sea turtle snorkling trip in Waikiki Bay that was amazing, it was extra special because we were on a beautiful catamaran that provided lunch and booze.

Same, but Feb 2019. We're probably more looking towards Maui/Kauai based on activity factors.

went to Oahu and Maui eight years ago and took a day trip to Kauai - definitely wished we had allotted more than one day to Kauai

we did a Jack Harter helicopter tour of Kauai (4 passengers, doors off) and highly recommend you do same, preferably on the first day you are there

Wife and I have been twice - in 2015 in Maui and this year on the Big Island (both times in January). Both times rented a convertible, so I second that rec from mdmh

Maui
- the the Road to Hana drive (we stayed in the northwest part of the island); the drive itself was somewhat tedious in sections (so many turns) and I probably lost a few days off my life white knuckling certain parts, but it's definitely worth it to tour the black sand beach and the bamboo forest in Haleakala National Park (Pipiwai Trail)
- Haleakala National Park summit tour and sunset watch (bring a jacket). Seems the resorts tended to prefer recommending the sunrise tours, but we couldn't bring ourselves to get up at 4 am or whatever it would have been on vacation
- from what I remember, October might not be a great time for whale watching, but February should be good and did a great snorkeling/whale watching tour and saw a lot of activity (I'm sure wherever you are staying can recommend a specific group that does them)

Big Island
- we absolutely loved the Manta Ray night tour in Kona; pretty popular activity, but watching a sunset on a boat and then snorkeling with these huge animals was really fun
- we did a dolphin experience at the Hilton in Waikoloa Village (mostly because my wife was pregnant at the time and thought the dolphins would be aware and treat her differently...they didn't); it was fine but a little short and more expensive than I thought it would be; kids would probably like it though
- our big splurge was a helicopter tour of the whole island and I'd recommend that if you've got a flexible budget

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I lived in Maui for a little while in 2000 and 2001. I was working for the Maui Forest Bird Recovery Project, desperately trying to save the Po'ouli from extinction, but the species went extinct (most likely) in 2004 after the only known male died of avian malaria in captivity. For me Hawaii is a sad ecological disaster, but it is also a beautiful place with awesome memories. It's been 17 years since I lived there and 11 since I was last there so my recommendations may be out of date. If you go to Maui, the fish tacos at Milagros in Paia were the best on the island. If you are out doors-y spend a day hiking across the Haleakala crater from the sliding sands trail at the summit down to the crater floor and back up the switch backs to the rainbow bridge. You'll have to hitch a ride back to the summit to get your car or hike a long the road but it is completely worth it. Also while you are up there check out the Wiakamoi preserve, it is the only place you are likely to see native forest birds like the iiwi, the Akohekohe and the Maui Parrot Bill (the Parrot Bills are highly endangered though so don't be mad if you miss them). Don't do the bike down the mountain tourist trap, it is really dangerous. Another good place for birds in Maui is the Kealia ponds national wildlife refuge, you might see Nene there and Hawaiian Black necked stilts. Lahaina is probably the best place to stay, it is quieter than Kihei and I think has better restaurants. Kauai is a beautiful place too. The Napali coast is amazingly beautiful. Amazing. But don't take a helicopter or a boat, hike that mother fucker, all 11 miles in and 11 miles back out. You won't regret it. Lastly, if you get the chance, I highly recommend smoking weed and watching Willie Nelson sing "You Were Always On My Mind" live on the beach in Kihei as the sunset over the Pacific ocean.

We went to Kauai and Maui in August (right after their brush with Lane) and enjoyed it. Didn't stay at a resort on Kauai but will second the recommendation of Jack Harter Helicopter tours--though we did the doors on version. Helicopter and boat are the only, legal, ways to see the Napali coast after the rains in April flooded the area near the trails and trail head.
We went to Maui at the end of our trip and drove the Road to Hana (black sand beach was our favorite stop) and stayed at a condo in Hana. Almost stayed at the Travasaa which looked very nice but decided we weren't going to be there long enough to enjoy the amenities. The Road to Hana is incredibly less stressful driving from Hana in the morning. Our last night was at the Grand Wailea and it was impressive. They are very proud of their offerings but it was a very nice stay. We didn't do sunrise at Haleakala but thought it would have been a good first day of the trip event as we were up at 3 anyway with the time zones.

We went to Kauai and Maui in August (right after their brush with Lane) and enjoyed it. Didn't stay at a resort on Kauai but will second the recommendation of Jack Harter Helicopter tours--though we did the doors on version. Helicopter and boat are the only, legal, ways to see the Napali coast after the rains in April flooded the area near the trails and trail head.
We went to Maui at the end of our trip and drove the Road to Hana (black sand beach was our favorite stop) and stayed at a condo in Hana. Almost stayed at the Travasaa which looked very nice but decided we weren't going to be there long enough to enjoy the amenities. The Road to Hana is incredibly less stressful driving from Hana in the morning. Our last night was at the Grand Wailea and it was impressive. They are very proud of their offerings but it was a very nice stay. We didn't do sunrise at Haleakala but thought it would have been a good first day of the trip event as we were up at 3 anyway with the time zones.

Really? The coastal trail to the Kalalau valley is closed? That is a damn shame. Probably the most amazing hike I've ever been on. I believe there was a trail to access it from the mountains, up near the Alakai swamp, but that trail has limited access.

Back