• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Yadkin Valley Wineries

We've done plenty of VA and NC wineries and one thing that always amazes me is how many wine awards there are. Seems like every winery has won a bunch of silver and gold medals for their wines, no matter how terrible they are. On a whole, I think VA has the better wines I've tasted and some are actually quite respectable including RdV, Early Mountain and Barboursville. I haven't tasted anything of that caliber in NC, but we always enjoy ourselves when we visit since you can usually find something that's decent enough.

There's a decent one up here in the mountains near Hendersonville called Burntshirt that we frequent. We also like Overmountain down near the Tryon Equestrian Center. We have one about 10 minutes up the road from us in the Asheville area and it might have the best view I've seen at a winery outside of California with 360 degree mountain views, but unfortunately their wine is terrible. We were so disappointed since it's such a lovely spot but their quality of wine is tough to handle and not worth the trip -- we had hoped to become regulars when we first visited since it's so close.

Piccione offers a nice view of the valley with mountains in the background.

And they make good wine.

Back