• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Yadkin Valley Wineries

captruss24

Did I mention I'm a South Carolina fan? You know,
Reaction score
We've done the guided tour of the Shallowford Trail (RayLen, Hanover Park, Westbend, and Misty Creek) and looking to find a few hidden gems in the Yadkin Valley AVA. I've heard good things about Raffaldini, but will be driving this time around and Ronda, NC may be a stretch w/o a DD. Also thought about a trip up to Divine Lhama (and any surrounding vineywards) and swing by Roselli's Kitchen in East Bend for dinner. Not a big fan of Childress wines. This trip is Yadkin Valley specific and i would appreciate any feedback. My favorite varietal is Cab Franc and my wife loves Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc.

There was a point in time a decade ago where I had visited every winery in the state, but since the appellation things have just gone nuts. Usually when I plan a tour now I do it solely based on a nice driving route/times.

We did a guided tour of the 5 Swan Creek Wineries a couple of springs ago & have been working our way through the local wineries since then. On the Swan Creek tour, we liked, in order, Shadow Springs, Laural Gray, Buck Shoals, Dobbins Creek & Raffaldini. Buck Shoals has been sold to the owners of Shadow Springs & they kept on the wine maker & are committed to still crafting the fortified wines....somewhat port-like or brandy-like. Raffaldini has a great view & facility but were way too corporate for our liking. Plus the server at our first visit was extremely rude to the other people present during our tasting. Laurel Gray has a nice rose' that we enjoy.

We've eaten dinner a couple times at Sanders Ridge & have enjoyed their wines. Dinners there are WONDERFUL! Flint Hills was enjoyable too. My wife & I love Divine Llama & enjoy most of their wines. Just around the corner from DL is Cellar 4201 & they have a limited wine selection. Check out the web sites for the Yadkin Valley wineries because they have music 1x a month at one of the 5 wineries in their group. Whichever winery is hosting will have wine from the other 4 as well. A great way to sample all 5 at once without driving to all of them.

We are wine club members at Hanover Park, Divine Llama & Chateau Morrisette.

I did Divine Llama this past weekend and really enjoyed driving the grounds and meeting the minihorses and minidonkey but couldnt find their maine coons

Raffaldini has a great view & facility but were way too corporate for our liking.

They've got a tremendous view, and the look of the place is really nice. Its like they took a winery from Italy and just dropped it into the foothills of NC. It is pretty corporate, but not nearly as much as Shelton/Childress.

This is a pretty old thread but figured I would use it just the same.

What is the best town to stay in or near if you are planning on spending a few days in the Yadkin Valley AVA?

What is the best town to stay in or near if you are planning on spending a few days in the Yadkin Valley AVA?

Just Grab A Beer, NC

I'd suggest Elkin because there are more vineyards closer to there than if you'd stay in Yadkinville. We're wine club members at 5 different vineyards in the Yadkin Valley and help a couple of them throughout the year at festivals, harvesting, bottling, etc. What's your preferred wine(s)?

Love Valley. Bring your horse.

Elkin is the best choice. Yadkinville doesn’t have a hotel that has been updated since 1990.

I think Medaloni Cellars and Grassy Creek are two wineries with accommodations.

We just make a day trip once or twice a year from Winston-Salem to visit 3-5 places, or maybe a festival. So you could stay in Winston.

There are really a lot of wineries making good stuff. Enjoy.

Here gouda gouda gouda gouda here gouda gouda

I’m not a wine snob but after some bad bottles from West Bend and some other uninspiring visits to other NC wineries, I completely gave up on NC wines. Is there an NC wine, from NC grapes, that is actually worth drinking and better than a typical $9.00 bottle from California?

I’m not a wine snob but after some bad bottles from West Bend and some other uninspiring visits to other NC wineries, I completely gave up on NC wines. Is there an NC wine, from NC grapes, that is actually worth drinking and better than a typical $9.00 bottle from California?

Wine very much depends on your personal taste so it is hard to say. I am far, far from an expert. My experience has been that the NC wines are not great - but there are some that we have found drinkable, for sure. One thing I can say for sure, and this goes for both NC wines and California wines, they always taste better at the tasting than they do when you buy them and take them home... Ugh!

There’s plenty of good wine being made. It’s certainly easier to find both better wine and better values produced elsewhere.

But there are plenty of places in Yadkin Valley producing wine that’s very easy to enjoy. And the trips are generally fun.

Yep, I think the muscadine varieties are the main (only?) native ones. Of course, they are mostly sweeter wines, which can be very enjoyable occasionally, I think.

For something a little different, look for Chambourcin.

Biggest surprise was finding at a festival a place producing a good Dornfelder...Elkin Creek.

Back