• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kobe is a Homophobe

They were talking about this on ESPN 980 today and comparing it to dropping the N-Bomb. SVP was saying that the meaning of what Kobe said has changed and you hear it on the court all time. Thom Lovaro said it's no differen than if the ref had dropped the N-bomb on Kobe.

I think the difference is that civil rights for the two groups are at VASTLY different points. As a kid I knew early on that you didn't drop the N-bomb. But I also grew up playing Smear the Queer. I didn't know what that meant and if I called a kid a fairy I just meant he was soft. I didn't realize what any of the words meant.

I think that's changing as evidenced by the fact that this is a big deal. Hell one of the greatest lines in sports movie history is "uh oh. Crash used a word that's a no-no with umpires". I think the next generation will realize that this word has other meanings.

That being said... From the standpoint of the structure of the word and the way it sounds without any reference to the literal meaning it feels very satisfying coming out. It's like a good Fuck You!

My only problem with that article is that he implies that Kobe has some obligation to be a good role model. I've never understood that line of thinking. Just because people look up to you, shouldn't mean that you have to become someone who you aren't.

I think its been proven pretty clearly that Kobe is a dick. Should he have some obligation to change just because he's famous?

Back