• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Most deserved Trophy

Agree about pro/rel. When I first got into Euro soccer I was unsure about it, but it really is an awesome system. It'll never happen in the US pro leagues though, it's too foreign a concept. Could be great for college though.

Agree about pro/rel. When I first got into Euro soccer I was unsure about it, but it really is an awesome system. It'll never happen in the US pro leagues though, it's too foreign a concept. Could be great for college though.

Yep.. you suck, you go down until you get to 1st or 2nd spot...

BTW... how do you feel about Shalke my friend?

Quality throughout the squad. United are surely the favorites but they are no pushovers. Plus, since they are so far out of the Bundesliga they will be resting players before and after our matches really going for it in the CL -- a la AC Milan in 2007. United cannot do that as we are still pressing for the Treble.

Raul is class. Jefferson Farfan is so fun to watch. Their defense can be gotten at though, although Neuer is a hell of a keeper and cleans up lots of mistakes. Still allowed 5 goals over the previous two ties, while United have just allowed 2. I think that is where the tie will be won.

Defs can't take them lightly though. They just took out the defending Champions 7-3 on aggregate, afterall!

Yeah, I don't think it is even remotely realistic to think it would happen, but it would be so awesome. People would grow to love it if they gave it a chance. I'm certain of that.

Makes races at the top and the bottom of the leagues so damn exciting at the end of the year. And no more "tanking it" to get a good/better draft position, either. Bonus!

I really with the Promotion/Relegation system was implemented by all American sports as well. Would add such drama for both collegiate and pro sports.

For those of us that don't really follow soccer, can you please explain what this is?

I'm no match for you lol

Don't know much about Schalke so,,,,,
It will be interesting, do you know when the fixture will be?
I guess it's not announced yet

Yeah, I don't think it is even remotely realistic to think it would happen, but it would be so awesome. People would grow to love it if they gave it a chance. I'm certain of that.

Makes races at the top and the bottom of the leagues so damn exciting at the end of the year. And no more "tanking it" to get a good/better draft position, either. Bonus!

At least, if your team is in 2nd division you can always root for a bump into 1st.. even if you suck ass

I don't think it being a foreign concept is the problem, it's the money at stake which is what will cause it to never happen. All USA pro sports have their teams strategically placed in the right markets, the right cities, etc. to make the money. Relegation/promotion would screw that up

For those of us that don't really follow soccer, can you please explain what this is?

Just a quick run thru...

There are 20 teams in the Premier League (England's top competition.)
As has been stated they all play each other home and away for a total of 38 matches played with 3 points awarded for a win and 1 point awarded for a draw (0 points for a loss, obviously.)

The teams with the 3 lowest point totals will be relegated to the Championship (which is the name of the 2nd tier of English soccer.) The top two teams of the Championship will play in the Premiership the next season and teams 3-6 will play in a playoff to determine the 3rd side promoted.

There is also League 1 and League 2 (really the 3rd and 4th levels of English soccer) that promote to the Championship and League 1 respectively. Below that there is "non-league" football which is comprised of some teams that only have semi-professional players on them (guys that get paid, but also have other jobs that really earn their living.)

The English soccer system goes so many levels deep. And theoretically, you could go over there and start a club and in a number of years be playing in the Premiership by earning your way through the ranks.

Questions?

I'm no match for you lol

Don't know much about Schalke so,,,,,
It will be interesting, do you know when the fixture will be?
I guess it's not announced yet

April 26th 1st leg in Gelsenkirchen
May 4th 2nd leg in Manchester (coincidentally the day I land in Manchester that morning! :willynilly: Going to see about tickets to this, but will probably just watch in a pub surrounded by Reds. Going to the chelski match on the 8th, tho. Pumped.)

Playoffs are awesome. Would I rather fill the joel rafters with tourney champ banners or more regular season champ banners?

The attrition of beating 4 other PLAYOFF teams in 7 game series is what makes the nba tough.

In the playoffs you have to beat other teams that win playoff games, not just follow your generated schedule.

Just a quick run thru...

There are 20 teams in the Premier League (England's top competition.)
As has been stated they all play each other home and away for a total of 38 matches played with 3 points awarded for a win and 1 point awarded for a draw (0 points for a loss, obviously.)

The teams with the 3 lowest point totals will be relegated to the Championship (which is the name of the 2nd tier of English soccer.) The top two teams of the Championship will play in the Premiership the next season and teams 3-6 will play in a playoff to determine the 3rd side promoted.

There is also League 1 and League 2 (really the 3rd and 4th levels of English soccer) that promote to the Championship and League 1 respectively. Below that there is "non-league" football which is comprised of some teams that only have semi-professional players on them (guys that get paid, but also have other jobs that really earn their living.)

The English soccer system goes so many levels deep. And theoretically, you could go over there and start a club and in a number of years be playing in the Premiership by earning your way through the ranks.

Questions?

Thanks for the primer. This sounds awesome. No idea how it could work in any US professional sports, just because things are so entrenched already, but it would make things a lot more interesting.

Playoffs are awesome. Would I rather fill the joel rafters with tourney champ banners or more regular season champ banners?

The attrition of beating 4 other PLAYOFF teams in 7 game series is what makes the nba tough.

In the playoffs you have to beat other teams that win playoff games, not just follow your generated schedule.

Maybe I'm just jaded by the Lakers cakewalking to the Finals every year of late, but that hardly has made a lot of the playoffs any more exciting

Cakewalk? They had an amazing 7 game series against the celts last year and were legitimately tested by the thunder and suns.

I'm not saying the nba is the tougest, just an example of why playoffs are tough.

April 26th 1st leg in Gelsenkirchen
May 4th 2nd leg in Manchester (coincidentally the day I land in Manchester that morning! :willynilly: Going to see about tickets to this, but will probably just watch in a pub surrounded by Reds. Going to the chelski match on the 8th, tho. Pumped.)

Gotta take pics... I am more familiar with croatian football having lived there 2 years,, but this is going to be epic!

Gotta take pics... I am more familiar with croatian football having lived there 2 years,, but this is going to be epic!

Oh, pics will be taken and posted. I won't stop talking about it a week to 10 days outside of being there and I won't shut up about it for at least a month after I get back.

I've toured Old Trafford before, but this/these (hopefully, these at least) will be my first matches watching United there. And there is a chance they could win the PL when I'm there. It's going to be fucking electric! So damn excited.

Best Christmas present. Ever.

Without a doubt, the obvious choice for best trophy is World Cup. However, given the choices you presented, I would go with Lombardi.

When the average football career is around 3 years, it is very impressive and well deserved to win one.

I'd argue the World Cup is the least deserved. No other trophy involves teams being eliminated by such an arbitrary process as shootouts. Talk about a dumb way to resolve such a hard-fought game, eliminating teams that otherwise could have potentially gone all the way. I've always said they should have more extra time with more subs, or cut play 8-on-8 or something. Anything but shootouts.

I'd argue the World Cup is the least deserved. No other trophy involves teams being eliminated by such an arbitrary process as shootouts. Talk about a dumb way to resolve such a hard-fought game, eliminating teams that otherwise could have potentially gone all the way. I've always said they should have more extra time with more subs, or cut play 8-on-8 or something. Anything but shootouts.

Guess it depends what the definition of deserved is.

I was thinking of it more in a manner that these players have put in so much work and effort that they are competing against the best players from around the world in the most competitive sport on the planet. If they are able to win it, then it is very much so deserved.

But I understand the way you're looking at it, as well as the hockey/football way in that they are putting their body through so much it becomes deserved.

Back