• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

fan base divided

There has to be some connection between deference to authority with respect to Wellman and the athletic department and deference to the DS mods.

The people least likely to challenge authority take issue with the people who do challenge authority whether it be the AD or the mods.

So that may just be personal preference. And I hope that's one way things shake out. The people with a pro-authority orientation will stay over there and those more likely to challenge authority or are fine with exchanging opinions and don't mind being challenged themselves will come here.

I think I can see where you're coming from with the authority angle, Ph.

It's also noted that this place and that one seem generally populated by folks of probably different average age and, therefore, cumulative life experiences, etc. Are older and more experienced people generally more willing to defer to authority due to their age and experience, or what? Or are younger people less willing to defer to authority due to a lack of experience, youthful overconfidence, or what?

Anyhow, I think there is maybe something to the "authority" angle. And that it's probably not so simple as some trust it blindly and others can't trust it at all. Lots of room in the middle of that spectrum. What kinds of factors warrant a challenge and what is the proper challenge are just a two of the kinds of things that might reasonably vary between people that seem more or less "willing" to challenge or defer to authority.

Interesting to think about. In doing so I confess I did recall this quote from Orwell that I came across recently (can't recall where):

Quote:
-------------
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it.
-------------

Alas, seems ever true.

At what age group does one become an old fart? Or is it more of a mentality?

Just hoping I'm not there yet.:eek:

I'm looking forward to being an old fart. I'm envisioning it as one of the best parts of getting old.

Becoming an old fart is just something that kind of happens to people when they're not looking...and it's not altogether a terrible thing.

Not that I'd suggest rushing into it or anything...

images

This thread, now with approximately 50 rj posts, has reminded me that the DS board has 1 function that is superior to this board. Y'all could really use an ignore button.

This thread, now with approximately 50 rj posts, has reminded me that the DS board has 1 function that is superior to this board. Y'all could really use an ignore button.

We do. Go to User CP on the left, then select Edit Ignore List. Copy and paste who you would like to ignore there. Not as convenient as a button, but it works just as well.

Cool, thanks tsy. I haven't explored much of the board functions yet.

I read over here more often because RULZ isn't here. And that is pretty much the honest truth. That and there is a lot more traffic here.

I read over here more often because RULZ isn't here. And that is pretty much the honest truth. That and there is a lot more traffic here.

So, what you are saying, is that RULZ is a dirtier word than FUCK?

Back