• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

fan base divided

I do like Premium on DS. The folks there are a good bunch and it is nice to get inside info that I can put an extra level of trust towards. They do a good job and their intentions are true. They take a LOT of flack - most of it undeserved - and a lot of times I wish some folks who post there would stop instigating for the sake of it. It's pretty gay.

My biggest problem is not necessarily this board or the previous free board, it is just level of negativity that runs rampant.

I am glad to see that this board has calmed down a bit, but I still think the other place was better as it was one-stop shopping for all interested Wake fans and I will continue to post there. Also I hate the colors of this board.

I also think some (emphasis on some) of the younger posters (students/<25, etc) on this board can, at times, talk out of their asses a bit and lack maturity and the benefit of a longer history and experience as a Wake fan.

I am not old by any means, but I can see the straight-up MIRACLES that Ron W. has done for Wake Forest athletics across the board and he gets a unfair shake here....and it kinda pisses me off.

1) You don't like old gold and small variations of that color? Those are our school colors.

2) You call something "pretty gay" and then call others out for acting immature? You realize using gay as a derogatory term stopped for most people in the 5th grade, right?

3) How does Wellman get an unfair shake because some posters on a message board express their dissatisfaction with him. I say this as a huge Wellman fan. I don't care that others disagree with me though. They have that right.

I do like Premium on DS. The folks there are a good bunch and it is nice to get inside info that I can put an extra level of trust towards. They do a good job and their intentions are true. They take a LOT of flack - most of it undeserved - and a lot of times I wish some folks who post there would stop instigating for the sake of it. It's pretty gay.

My biggest problem is not necessarily this board or the previous free board, it is just level of negativity that runs rampant.

I am glad to see that this board has calmed down a bit, but I still think the other place was better as it was one-stop shopping for all interested Wake fans and I will continue to post there. Also I hate the colors of this board.

I also think some (emphasis on some) of the younger posters (students/<25, etc) on this board can, at times, talk out of their asses a bit and lack maturity and the benefit of a longer history and experience as a Wake fan.

I am not old by any means, but I can see the straight-up MIRACLES that Ron W. has done for Wake Forest athletics across the board and he gets a unfair shake here....and it kinda pisses me off.

Now I remember why I stopped visiting the other board.

I used to only post on premium - started premium at some point after the CP3 meltdown and after getting tired of the non-sports board for becoming RJ v. the Wingnuts. It was more civil, and I greatly appreciated the inside info we used to get from Deman, Catu & Co. It wasn't the volume of info that I get on my premium Ravens site, but between the info and civility, I thought it was worth it. Then my subscription lapsed in the Fall, and Deman & Catu had provided precious little info since Bz's hire because they largely had been cut out by the new regime, so I didn't re-up. If they're getting more info, I'd consider signing up again.

Wellman gets an unfair shake after making the biggest clusterf--- of a hire in our flagship athletics program in the history of Wake Forest? I'll grant I thought he was a lot more effective than Gene Hooks until this past year. But you just cannot screw up a men's basketball hire at Wake that monumentally and not feel the heat. Add to that his lying about his reasoning and his doing the press conferences with Bz. I'm willing to give him another chance after another probably failed season, but if he either doesn't make a move or makes another poor move, I'm done with Wellman.

Is that why rj is in such a tizzy over these boards recently?

Absolutely, totally immaterial....sorry for thinking bigger.

At the heart of this thread is my basic belief that if you are up five points and can get up fifteen, you should do it.

these guys have a chance to takeover completely and look good doing it.

Last edited:
Personally I think that the division is really sad. The Wake fan base is too small to be divided. Just sad.

Personally I think that the division is really sad. The Wake fan base is too small to be divided. Just sad.

Exactly and there are lots of people who think like you do. It can be brought back together, be stronger, better and larger.

The people on the other board are more than welcome to come and post over here. I don't know why you'd take the time to erase and restart this site when any holdouts joining this board would accomplish the exact same thing.

The people on the other board are more than welcome to come and post over here. I don't know why you'd take the time to erase and restart this site when any holdouts joining this board would accomplish the exact same thing.

How it's done is not as important as that it is done.

The only reason to erase this or to recreate with a different URL is to provide an olive branch. It gives some a reason to give up their so called "principles".

You have a partial victory. You can have a total victory.

The total victory is possible. You could have everyone by reaching a little bit to them.

Right now you have all the momentum. You can do it if you want to being everyone into the fold.

The question comes down to do you want to have a complete community based on your priniciples with a modest reaching out to others or a majority.

As mebane said, we don't have millions to draw from. Almost all the people who have resisted coming here have something to offer.

I don't get the reasoning of not even trying.

Who knows maybe it becomes something as simple as keeping the board with a new name that reflects progress rather than living in the past.

Haven't read the whole thread, but I switched here exclusively (don't have time to go between two boards) several weeks ago because I enjoy freedom and liberty in my internet experience. When I need to get my Wake on, its nice to be able to come to a site where I can curse and look at hot chicks without fear of reprisal. Keep up the great work guys.

Last edited:
The holdouts won't come because of "our principles" though, RJ. They like the censorship aspect of the old boards and the filters and stuff. There is no way to draw them over because of that.

We've extended many an olive branch and tried to get them to change their minds, trust me. We want them over here just as badly as you do.

rjkarl if you've got a better board, then do it yourself and stop berating these guys who have done what they set out to do. If it's not enough for you, nothing's stopping you from executing your master plan.

The free content is nice, there is more traffic, and the site features are much better

I was hesitant about coming over here, mostly because I thought Irish and DV7 were being huge douches over there before they got banned. I suppose that also shows the beauty of this board that I can say that about two mods and not worry about ban camp.

rjkarl if you've got a better board, then do it yourself and stop berating these guys who have done what they set out to do. If it's not enough for you, nothing's stopping you from executing your master plan.

Every post on this thread has been giving the people who started this board TONS OF CREDIT.

How can anyone read it in any other fashion is beyond me.

Of course not from you, if I said "deacHead is the greateste person that has ever been born", you say,"he's attacking me."

Cookout, I'm not an idiot. I get that it's old gold - I went to Wake, I live and breath Wake sports just like everyone else. This is the board of free opinions right? Here's mine - I just don't like the color of the board. I'll post that in the suggestions thread.

I'll stand firm that instigating other posters and incessantly ragging on the athletic department is "beat" .

I realize people have the right to criticize Wellman. I am not denying them that. I happen to disagree with it and as I said before, it just bothers me. The guy is not infallable (sp?) but he has done a lot of great things of which you, me, and so many others have benefited from.

The guy made a gut call for a coaching change. I absolutely could not stand Dino Gaudio - he was not a good coach. I am willing to give Bzz a chance like so many others here and I will continue to support the team regardless of what happens next season or in 2013 and beyond.

I also agree with mebane - the polarization of the fan base BLOWS.

Every post on this thread has been giving the people who started this board TONS OF CREDIT.

How can anyone read it in any other fashion is beyond me.

Of course not from you, if I said "deacHead is the greateste person that has ever been born", you say,"he's attacking me."

Well that would be an interesting test. Why don't you say that and we'll see?

Absolutely, totally immaterial....sorry for thinking bigger.

At the heart of this thread is my basic belief that if you are up five points and can get up fifteen, you should do it.

these guys have a chance to takeover completely and look good doing it.

What was at the heart of this thread you started less than 48 hours ago?

http://ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1131

The holdouts won't come because of "our principles" though, RJ. They like the censorship aspect of the old boards and the filters and stuff. There is no way to draw them over because of that.

We've extended many an olive branch and tried to get them to change their minds, trust me. We want them over here just as badly as you do.

Of course there will be a few who don't want to come over. But you can get more.

You guys are getting very close. Take it to the next step.

Cookout, I'm not an idiot. I get that it's old gold - I went to Wake, I live and breath Wake sports just like everyone else. This is the board of free opinions right? Here's mine - I just don't like the color of the board. I'll post that in the suggestions thread.

I'll stand firm that instigating other posters and incessantly ragging on the athletic department is "beat" .

I realize people have the right to criticize Wellman. I am not denying them that. I happen to disagree with it and as I said before, it just bothers me. The guy is not infallable (sp?) but he has done a lot of great things of which you, me, and so many others have benefited from.

The guy made a gut call for a coaching change. I absolutely could not stand Dino Gaudio - he was not a good coach. I am willing to give Bzz a chance like so many others here and I will continue to support the team regardless of what happens next season or in 2013 and beyond.

I also agree with mebane - the polarization of the fan base BLOWS.

Well I guess saying something is "beat" is better than saying "it's pretty gay".

There is a difference between you not liking peoples opinions and claiming that Wellman is getting an unfair shake, though. The guy is still making his money and has room to do his job and none of the posters here are in any position to change that, AFAIK.

As far as the color, if you're going to complain about that, you might as well offer up some other suggestions. Remember, they have to match the WFU theme. We don't want there to be any confusion about which school our message board represents.

Of course there will be a few who don't want to come over. But you can get more.

You guys are getting very close. Take it to the next step.

I just don't see how saying "Hey guys, I know you don't like the people over here or the way we run our forums, but we are starting the same thing under a different URL and will call it something else, so you should come join us now" is going to change anyone's minds. Think about it. The only way to draw those people in is to change the product. That's not going to happen.

Back