• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

fan base divided

As a friendly retort to your comment DV7 - I'm often left dumbfounded at the fans who routinely bash the Athletic department's every move.

There are two sides to it. I've heard of posters going to other schools boards and bashing coaches, AD, and dept - I, personally, think that's bad form.

There is a good middle ground to be had overall. Yes, I will always give the athletic department the benefit of the doubt - I worked there as a student from '97-'01.

RJ, what specifically would you do to rebrand this place as the one united site? New URL, new colors?

Some hold outs are not coming over here, no matter what they do. Do you really think adding a DS mod would help that much?

As I said, you have to start somewhere. I'm not married to any of the suggestions.

Maybe people should simply say,"what can we do?"

That could be a start.

Maybe I should stop trying since it's so negative to so many re:rep.

Nah, it's better to try.

glitter-background-003.gif

I hope this is the screensaver on the new video board at Groves.

I would love to see big player cut-outs on the football team with that background. Funny stuff.

Just give it time. People saw how DV7 left over there and just assumed it would be more of the same over here. Now, he and others have been very different posters over here and they've done a fantastic job putting this place together. But I do understand why people had the impression that they did. I think as things settle down (fewer potshots taken at each board by the other, etc) more people will come over.

I think there is probably another small subset who see this board's leadership having a "We're assholes and we're proud of it" vibe and that can be a turnoff. One of the best things you guys did was get people like tsy, tw and others to be active mods to sort of temper that. You'll never please everyone of course. But I do hope a couple more of the good posters make their way over here.

I don't think many posters are very different. It's just a less hostile environment over here (along with it being the offseason). There's no need to post "BUZZOUT!" over here because there's no real fighting about it. People just post their opinions without focusing on sides. In contrast, the other boards were all about who's on what side.

I don't think many posters are very different. It's just a less hostile environment over here (along with it being the offseason). There's no need to post "BUZZOUT!" over here because there's no real fighting about it. People just post their opinions without focusing on sides. In contrast, the other boards were all about who's on what side.

There aren't many posters, but a few prominent ones, imo. As to the hostile environment that used to exist over there, I think there is plenty of blame to go around to both "sides." I do agree the offseason has a lot to do with it. There aren't any losses to catalyze 50 different BUZZOUT! threads at once, and most of the arguments have been hashed out so many times they aren't even worth having any more. Add to that that what little news we've gotten since the split has been largely positive (wrt our recruits) and you have less animosity.

It has ZERO to do with this thread.

Of course you don't mention all the POSITIVE things I've said about DV7 on this thread.

You have posted 20+ times on this thread, so maybe I missed "all the POSITIVE things I've said about dv7 on this thread."

Closest thing I could find was saying he could be the Pele of the 3rd board. Because that is such a compliment to tell someone who has busted his ass for probably the last 6-8 weeks to make this board work they should start a different board. :tard:

Feel free to point out all the positive things you said specifically about him though, as I really could have missed them.

There aren't many posters, but a few prominent ones, imo. As to the hostile environment that used to exist over there, I think there is plenty of blame to go around to both "sides." I do agree the offseason has a lot to do with it. There aren't any losses to catalyze 50 different BUZZOUT! threads at once, and most of the arguments have been hashed out so many times they aren't even worth having any more. Add to that that what little news we've gotten since the split has been largely positive (wrt our recruits) and you have less animosity.

DV7, Irish, and others felt (rightly or wrongly, don't want to get into it here) that their anti-Bzz views were being censored. Being assholes, or at least not Casper Milquetoast, their response to perceived censorship was not to conform, but to resist, often in the loudest, most obnoxious way possible. How the mods over there failed to see that would be the result, I have no idea. Have to imagine that a few well-placed PMs and a little more tolerance would have kept things under control.

Anyway, once committed, the mods continued on their road to mismanagement. Every edited post, deleted thread, or banning only made the BzzOut people angrier, and led to more and more bitching, not only about Bzz, but the mods themselves. The obnoxious nature of the protests and the perceived prosecution by the mods served to crystallize already-existing tension between BzzOuters and BzzInners, and it quickly became irreparable.

Here, that censorship barrier has been, to a large degree, removed, and so people have stopped banging their heads against it. It's in human nature to want to challenge limits; there will be less BzzOut obnoxiousness here because the BzzOut obnoxiousness is permitted. Add that to the fact that some of the board's biggest tools have been left behind, and you have a better environment here.

I don't really understand what RJ is trying to accomplish with the idea of "joining" the boards. This board was a reaction, in large part, to the actions of numerous mods on the scout board. Those mods are free and welcome (I guess) to join this community, but they don't deserve any responsibility here; They had their chance already. There is certainly room on the internet for both boards but no one here should feel responsible for the survival of the Scout board.

Why the hell would DS mods be made mods over there? They are already proven to be completely incompetent at moderating.

Yeah I agree with pretty much all of that.

Edit: to OGB

Add some glitter to give it a more golden appearance.

I think the "fight the power" Deacon up top does enough to state that it's the Wake Board. I wouldn't worry.

This reminds me of when I designed a website for the Guatemalan Embassy in DC to pass the time while I was job hunting.

I'm doing it for dirt cheap, and I put together a very clean site for them (much like this site is. Could you tweak things? Sure, but it's a solid look and feel - nothing objectively bad).

Anyway, the main guy isn't happy with it, and I'm pretty offended, so I ask him to show me some sites he likes. He proceeds to point me to a site hosted in Mexico that is a complete disaster. It plays annoying music, everything flashes, it's got pop-ups everywhere, sound effects on every button, a ton of frames - it's literally the worst site I've ever seen.

Even better, it's got a window-spawn on every mouse exit click, and he's like "I want this! Watch this! I close - bam it's back! I try to close - wow it's back again! I cannot get out! Look now it's full screen I don't even know how to get out! Can you do that!?"

Posting in the suggestion thread some colors you prefer is one thing. Saying you "hate the colors" on a thread about the fan base, and calling something gay while calling out other posters as immature...

It comes off as nagging and griping. Lame sauce.

Levytas414 wrote:deacfreke2
Totally correct. One other thing I've noticed is that the people who lie about what you've said and misrepresent your point of view are over there as well. It's really a breath of fresh air to have honest people sharing opinions on Wake sports as are here now, and not those fabricating stuff out of nowhere.

Also, it was comical to watch the reactions of the buzzouters to the news from the Carolina Challenge that CMM and Rountree were blowing up. Of course, no one would admit they were wrong about their misguided slams on Bz's ability to recruit, but the backtracking was hilarious.

BTW, I appreciated the apology from one of the mods over there for when other mods hacked my account and altered my information. This is why I referred to having some adults go over there and help them tone down their romper room antics.

Last edited Today 10:51 AM by deacfreke2

First, I'd like to say that I've made my peace with this board and have no intention to do anything that would make you think I'm trolling. The very cool mod, Jack Burden, assured me that my account would no longer be hacked by board mods, and I assured him I would be a responsible poster.

Second, I made that post on the other board as a response to ChrisL who has hounded me since the start of the season about my position on Bz. Despite my effort to ask for a truce, to explain my position and why I believe he's misrepresenting my point of view, he continues to post things about me that are just incorrect.

I'll ask again, ChrisL, please stop with the need to call me a hypocrite, a drama queen and all that other stuff. You've already had to apologize to me once for thinking that I posted something that I didn't. I'm simply asking that I be allowed to post without being hounded by you. You have played the "deacfreke is a hypocrite" card way too many times.

I'm thanking you in advance for your cooperation.

There has to be some connection between deference to authority with respect to Wellman and the athletic department and deference to the DS mods.

The people least likely to challenge authority take issue with the people who do challenge authority whether it be the AD or the mods.

So that may just be personal preference. And I hope that's one way things shake out. The people with a pro-authority orientation will stay over there and those more likely to challenge authority or are fine with exchanging opinions and don't mind being challenged themselves will come here.

DV7, Irish, and others felt (rightly or wrongly, don't want to get into it here) that their anti-Bzz views were being censored. Being assholes, or at least not Casper Milquetoast, their response to perceived censorship was not to conform, but to resist, often in the loudest, most obnoxious way possible. How the mods over there failed to see that would be the result, I have no idea. Have to imagine that a few well-placed PMs and a little more tolerance would have kept things under control.

Anyway, once committed, the mods continued on their road to mismanagement. Every edited post, deleted thread, or banning only made the BzzOut people angrier, and led to more and more bitching, not only about Bzz, but the mods themselves. The obnoxious nature of the protests and the perceived prosecution by the mods served to crystallize already-existing tension between BzzOuters and BzzInners, and it quickly became irreparable.

Here, that censorship barrier has been, to a large degree, removed, and so people have stopped banging their heads against it. It's in human nature to want to challenge limits; there will be less BzzOut obnoxiousness here because the BzzOut obnoxiousness is permitted. Add that to the fact that some of the board's biggest tools have been left behind, and you have a better environment here.

The problem over there is the mods forgot what their job is. It's not to squelch dissent and silence obnoxious posters. It's certainly not to ban posters for breaking obscure terms of service rules that hundreds of other posters had broken for years with little warning.

Just be a damn mod. Move repetitive BzzOut posts to a single thread. Ban trolls from other schools before you ban your own members. Be professional when using your mod powers and remember it's just a message board - people have every right to bash [Redacted] after a miserable season just as BzzIn's have every right to proclaim the future bright. Don't make it personal.

This board is better for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is the reputation feedback and far more active mod group. Changing a couple things and calling it "Board 3" is a pointless endeavor. It's also insulting to suggest the guys who put this together simply abandon it and start over in the hopes of grabbing a few more posters who spend lots of time bashing them.

If it stays like this, everyone's going to end up here. It's just a better product.

As a friendly retort to your comment DV7 - I'm often left dumbfounded at the fans who routinely bash the Athletic department's every move.

There are two sides to it. I've heard of posters going to other schools boards and bashing coaches, AD, and dept - I, personally, think that's bad form.

There is a good middle ground to be had overall. Yes, I will always give the athletic department the benefit of the doubt - I worked there as a student from '97-'01.

Why? These are employees who should be held to standards. Neither major revenue sport improved last year, and in fact, took large steps backwards. I'm personally tired of the LOWF mentality and the acceptance of mediocrity or in the case of last year, futility.

ETA: I think saying the fan base is divided is overly dramatic. What percentage of Wake fans post on either board? Maybe 10%?

Last edited:
First, I'd like to say that I've made my peace with this board and have no intention to do anything that would make you think I'm trolling. The very cool mod, Jack Burden, assured me that my account would no longer be hacked by board mods, and I assured him I would be a responsible poster.

Second, I made that post on the other board as a response to ChrisL who has hounded me since the start of the season about my position on Bz. Despite my effort to ask for a truce, to explain my position and why I believe he's misrepresenting my point of view, he continues to post things about me that are just incorrect.

I'll ask again, ChrisL, please stop with the need to call me a hypocrite, a drama queen and all that other stuff. You've already had to apologize to me once for thinking that I posted something that I didn't. I'm simply asking that I be allowed to post without being hounded by you. You have played the "deacfreke is a hypocrite" card way too many times.

I'm thanking you in advance for your cooperation.

So you call a "truce", which I have honored, and then unprovoked several days later you make a post calling everybody over here whiny crybabies in a response to the fact that I have honored said truce.

If I see you full of crap talking about how uncivil this board was when you in fact were the one who was the biggest instigator of the uncivil dialogue, then I am going to call you on it.

Last edited:
Way less than 10% Get serious.

By this time next year, we won't have these discussions anymore because this will be the establishment board (it already is).

DV7 and Moonz and Irish rubbed some old-timers the wrong way, so they won't be here as quickly as everyone else switched, but the bottom line is that the community is what's important, and the community is here. Go look at the traffic at DS. It's dead. So, eventually, those holdouts still at DS will be here, too, because they care about the community just as much as the rest of us (probably more).

It's the offseason. Relax.

Last edited:
You have posted 20+ times on this thread, so maybe I missed "all the POSITIVE things I've said about dv7 on this thread."

Closest thing I could find was saying he could be the Pele of the 3rd board. Because that is such a compliment to tell someone who has busted his ass for probably the last 6-8 weeks to make this board work they should start a different board. :tard:

Feel free to point out all the positive things you said specifically about him though, as I really could have missed them.

He's a key member of the creation of this board. I repeatedly said they have won and done a good job.

I've said they could control everything.

You are simply looknig for a way to start something when there was no problem. Why do you feel the need to do this?

Back