• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Criteria for Satisfaction with Wake Basketball program

Get a Thursday bye in the ACCT at least 3 out of every 5 years or thereabout.
Make the NCAA Tourney nearly every year -- I can forgive an off year here and there.
Make a run to the 2nd weekend of the NCAAT at least once every 3 years.
Make the Final Four before I die.

That's all I want.

Generally agree with Irish. In a five-year cycle:

Year one: top 10 team nationally, contend for ACC title, make Sweet 16 or better (ex: '03, '05, '09 with better tourney success)
Year two: top 25 team nationally, top 3-4 in the ACC, make second round or better (ex: '04, '10 with an extra couple of regular season wins)
Year three: middle of the pack ACC, NCAA berth (ex: '02, '10 with slightly less reg season sucess)
Year four: mid-to-low ACC finish, NIT berth or snub (ex: '06, '08, Odom post-Tim)
Year five: finish within a few games of .500, no postseason (ex: '07)

A season like last year is never acceptable, under any circumstances.

My criteria for satisfaction have more to do with playing hard, winning close games (and important games), and improving over the course of the season than they do with achieving a specific number of wins or percentage of tournament appearances. This is why I was largely unsatisfied with the Dino years, and why I still have some hope for [Redacted].

Huh?!?!? I wasn't satisfied with Dino either. But exactly what have you seen from Bz in the last year (or earlier in his career) to give you this hope?

Huh?!?!? I wasn't satisfied with Dino either. But exactly what have you seen from Bz in the last year (or earlier in his career) to give you this hope?

By "some hope," I think there is still a possibility that he builds on our young talent, adds some late-blooming recruits, and gets us back to the NCAA tournament in two years. Our freshmen are talented, our team will have vastly more experience, and I'm not convinced--by this season or [Redacted]'s prior experience--that our coaching staff is clueless.

Jake says:
April 15, 2011 at 9:03 am

Ramsey,

As I’ve told you before, I think it can be argued that the blame for AFA’s collapse late in the 06-07 season rests on [Redacted]’s shoulders.

And, I’m gonna be honest with you: I’ve never met someone who used the phrase “I’m gonna be honest with you” and then said something that was of questionable honesty more than Wake’s coach.

Awesome. The douchebaggery of our coach is known in more than one state. Fantastic!

Jeff [Redacted], 8-24 in one season at Wake Forest: I feel strange putting a first-year coach on this list, and there's likely no way [Redacted] will be kept on that short of a leash, but man alive, was this hiring a mess. Clemson hired the criminally underrated Brad Brownell later in the year and had a pretty strong season. Wake fired Dino Gaudio for underperforming and got... much worse. [Redacted] is a real cypher - he moves around a lot but doesn't exactly blow the doors off anywhere he goes. He's like bizarro Larry Brown.

http://eye-on-college-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/28494863

Now I'm in a bad mood. Piss.

By "some hope," I think there is still a possibility that he builds on our young talent, adds some late-blooming recruits, and gets us back to the NCAA tournament in two years. Our freshmen are talented, our team will have vastly more experience, and I'm not convinced--by this season or [Redacted]'s prior experience--that our coaching staff is clueless.

I agree our current freshman class has some talent - perhaps pretty darn talented if Carson develops as I think he might and if we ever get anything out of Chennault and Tabb. But his recruits better not be that late blooming because I don't think he's gonna get 5 years to achieve a winning record. Yet those are the type of kids he's bringing in, especially in this year's class, though I have a lot more hope for the 2012 class. But I doubt he's going to challenge for a bid to the Dance with mostly glue guys without a little more star power mixed in.

And while I don't think either he or his staff is clueless, 3 things that bothered me the most watching games this past season is that the team did not appear to be very motivated, they didn't play together as a team (sum was < whole of its parts), and they played the worst defense I think I've ever seen outside of Paul Westhead. That suggests to me that, although I'm sure he knows the game well, he's not necessarily getting through to and imparting his wisdom to his kids. Perhaps the Colorado Springs sportswriter is correct - that the NBA is really more appropriate for him.

That's a new nickname. Bzzarro Larry Brown.

Ugly stuff. The post about the AFA game where he ran up the score on Colorado with mostly 7 players is just poor.

--------------
rjp says: April 15, 2011 at 11:18 am
Agree with afafan…..AF won 15 games by 20 or more points (10 of those by 30 or more points) in that 06-07 season, but had four guys starters averaging 32 mins/per gm or more (the fifth at 27mpg). Lost the last three in a row in regular season and the opener MWC tourney due to fatigue in my mind, and ‘that’ is why we didn’t get a NCAA tourney bid.
One game says it all to me…..on 11/18/06, after CU’s coach Patton says he is stepping down, AF wins at CU by 38pts and AF basicly played ‘only’ 7 guys significant minutes for all but the last 7 mins of the game with starters at 33/27/29/28/24 mpg. This was game four of the season where many more players could have received good time off the bench….Maybe playing/advertising for a future job?
-------------

Looking back at the Wake-AFA box score, AFA was up 47-23 at the half, yet 3 guys played 30+ minutes and two other starters played 27 and 29 minutes. Another guy played 14 minutes and it looks like Bz cleared the bench with 4 minutes left.

That was even less merciful than the Colorado game. Only one guy played 30+ minutes in that one (35-11 at the half).

Last edited:

Ugly stuff. The post about the AFA game where he ran up the score on Colorado with mostly 7 players is just poor.

--------------
Agree with afafan…..AF won 15 games by 20 or more points (10 of those by 30 or more points) in that 06-07 season, but had four guys starters averaging 32 mins/per gm or more (the fifth at 27mpg). Lost the last three in a row in regular season and the opener MWC tourney due to fatigue in my mind, and ‘that’ is why we didn’t get a NCAA tourney bid.
One game says it all to me…..on 11/18/06, after CU’s coach Patton says he is stepping down, AF wins at CU by 38pts and AF basicly played ‘only’ 7 guys significant minutes for all but the last 7 mins of the game with starters at 33/27/29/28/24 mpg. This was game four of the season where many more players could have received good time off the bench….Maybe playing/advertising for a future job?
-------------

Looking back at the Wake-AFA box score, AFA was up 47-23 at the half, yet 3 guys played 30+ minutes and two other starters played 27 and 29 minutes. Another guy played 14 minutes and it looks like Bz cleared the bench with 4 minutes left.

That was even less merciful than the Colorado game. Only one guy played 30+ minutes in that one (35-11 at the half).

Coming from the guy who destroys Grobe for being a "nice guy" to opposing teams.

-I want to be the third best team in the ACC perenially and finish 1st or second every once in a while.

-I want to win an ACC tourney title once every 5 years with a couple semis and finals interspersed

-I want to go to the Sweet 16 at least twice every 5 years with 3-4 tourney appearances in each 5 year period

-I want a Final Four once every 10 years

-I want a national title within the next 25 years

Coming from the guy who destroys Grobe for being a "nice guy" to opposing teams.

Because Grobe keeps teams in the game and they have a chance to beat us. Different thing altogether. Grobe is a "nice guy" in terms of the playcalls, not the personnel. I wouldn't have a problem if Grobe tried to get first downs and score with 2nd teamers with a lead. I do have a problem with trying to just run clock with 1st teamers.

Looks like the honeymoon period is over on these boards. The personal stuff is coming out.

2012 - Minimum 5 ACC wins, winning record overall
2013 - NCAAT appearance
2014/15 - Sweet 16

All this without a VT cupcake schedule and without Tony Woods-esque stories in the news.

--------------
-------------

Culture.

2012 - Minimum 5 ACC wins, winning record overall
2013 - NCAAT appearance
2014/15 - Sweet 16

All this without a VT cupcake schedule and without Tony Woods-esque stories in the news.

I'd add winning at least a game in the ACCT and winning at least a game in the NIT for 12....

If he gets 4 yrs to get a winning record, I'll go so far to the darkside I'll start posting as deaconheel92.

Back