• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago

any Logan Square recommendations?

Longman & Eagle in Logan Square is my jam. So is Bang Bang Pie. Owen & Engine is also there, which has one of the best hamburgers in Chicago (in my humble opinion).

Reactions: BDL
any Logan Square recommendations?

Are you will to go the lake view area. It's just right over the interstate a few miles. That's where my husband lived and he has restaurant recommendations. We are at several while there in August and enjoyed them. They were the hidden neighborhood gems.

Chicago is awesome. Navy pier is for nubs. I did Chicago like a boss partied in some secret old mob places you can't go there though but try Harry Carray place it's cool he was a baseball fella in case you a millenial

Emporium Barcade is a fun little spot to start out the evening. Coles is a good low-key bar. Lula Cafe is good for brunch. Scofflaw is a gin bar with good eats. The Whistler is a cocktail spot with free live music. East Room for a more DJ/hip hop crowd. Revolution Brewing Company has good beer, but I was underwhelmed by the food. The Owl and the Slippery Slope are the 4 A.M. late-night spots. The Boiler Room is NYC-style pizza with a cool vibe and shot-and-a-beer specials. L'Patron may be the best taco spot in the city. Fat Rice is top-notch Asian food. Parson's is fried chicken, which is all the rage now.

A lot of good stuff in neighboring hoods, but the Map Room and Quenchers are good beer bars.

Reactions: BDL
Anything good/interesting, really. Group of six mid-twenties guys going this weekend. Only one of us has ever been to Chicago.

Titty bars. I think they're mostly near the airport.

I second Longman & Eagle. Lula Cafe is also good for breakfast/brunch. Are you wanting to drink over there as well?

In Downtown Chicago for my wife's conference. I've got my rowdy boys by myself morning and afternoon Monday and Tuesday. Looking for anything simple to do to keep them out of trouble. We did the new playground at Grant Park today and it was great. Nicest playground I've ever seen. Certainly an option to go back. We've done Shedd and Field on previous trips. Did Lincoln Park Zoo last time we were here in April. All are reasonably safe options. I'll be pulling my hair out regardless.

I'm looking for something different to do with them. The boys were curious about the boat tours today. They love downtown and would like a tour that was kid-friendly. I did some checking around and they seem too long (90 min) and too expensive ($40+) for the risk that they may not enjoy it or ruin somebody else's enjoyment. Are there any shorter tours? Any other suggestions?

Ph, have you done the Museum of Science and Industry down in Hyde Park? That's a must, IMO. Hyde Park is an easy bus ride from downtown, or you can take the Metra commuter rail which leaves from under Millenium Park.

That said, Hyde Park is enough of a trip that it's worth making it a half-day or full-day trip. Other than the Museum of Science and Industry, you can also check out Obama's house, though that requires a longer walk than I'd probably want to make with kids. If it helps, R. Kelly's high school is between the Museum and the Obama house.

As for the boat tours, IMO the only ones worth taking are the architecture tours that go along the river. Getting out on the lake and seeing the skyline is nice, but the river tours are more interesting.

Probably best to wait for JuiceCrewAllStar to chime in here. I'm 2 years removed from Chicago these days.

The Museum is most likely for tomorrow. They love science museums and the tickets are reasonable. We will be driving so we can roll by Obama's house. Doing Lincoln Park Zoo today.

Thanks.

Good call on driving. Obama's house is sort of out of the way (it's in the Northwest corner of HP; arguably in the glitzier neighborhood of Kenwood).

In any event, the Museum of Science and Industry is probably the best science museum I've ever been to. It's fantastic, but many people never go down to Hyde Park to see it.

Fair warning: Obama's house is cool to see because there are barriers and security guards all over the place, and you're probably being watched by a sniper every time you roll by. But it's just a house. You can't even see much of the house from the street because there are some pretty tall bushes in the way.

Still! Obama's house!

We have family who live up by O'Hare so we always rent a car.

If you're coming to Chicago with family, the Residence Inn River North is fantastic. Good location. Great service. Reasonable rates.

How old are the kids? Never been, but my mom took my sisters to the Children's Museum at Navy Pier and said it was good. Not sure if the Ferris wheel is still going, but that's at Navy Pier too.

It's pretty hard to actually see Obama's house, but, as mentioned, you can see the guards. Hyde Park Art Center sometimes has kids activities. The DuSable Museum of African American History is a good museum in the neighborhood if they're old enough to appreciate that. The MSI is the second best museum in Chicago and perfect for kids. They'll have a ball.

You got really lucky with the weather. If they like being outside, then check out Promontory Point. Go to the end of 55th St. and pass under the tunnel that goes below Lake Shore Drive. My favorite spot in the city. The U of C campus is a good walk too.

For food, Valois is a diner with rude a rude Greek staff and great greasy food. Obama always eats there when he's around and they've got a special named after him. Local artist cum national celebrity Theaster Gates converted an old check cashing operation into a spot called Currency Exchange Cafe that I really dig.

Tons of other stuff to do around Hyde Park if you want more recs. I'll try to think of more good stuff for kids.

Ah, wish I had seen this earlier, PH - would have tried to meet up with you. Museums are awesome. The Ferris Wheel at Navy Pier is gone, but it's pretty, especially on a gorgeous day. Grant Park is cool, and the new Maggie Daley Park on the north end has a cool-looking playground. Thanks for bringing the weather with you!

Back