• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago

No problem, Smoove. An entire branch of my wife's family lives up here so I'm swamped with family stuff in the evenings. Maybe next time.

The Maggie Daley Park is where we went on Sunday and it is even cooler than it looks.

The boys are 6 and 3 so some things are off the list especially going solo. They bailed me out today as each took a rare nap for about 90 minutes so I dealt with one for 3 hours. Doing MSI tomorrow.

DJ Akademiks uses language that is not pc so if you're offended by a black guy using the n word you probably shouldn't watch this vid but look at the people lined up outside that drug house in broad daylight, like it's "a Jordan release sale". The kingpin was driving a Maserati.

For kids (and some adults), the firehouse of Chicago Fire is pretty cool. 1300 block of S Blue Island. Guys in the house are great.

Went to the Museum of Science and Industry. Took them awhile to get out of the hotel and we had to meet my wife right after her presentation so we had 2 hours. Went to a cool exhibit hall with model ships and classic racing cars. Then hit the children's side the Idea Factory and they were in heaven putting balls into a conveyor belt and stuff like that. $40 well spent.

So who to believe between the outcry from the prominent black community who is in outrage and loud about whats going on in Chicago and wikipedia being all like "WTF crime is going down compared to past decades"

So who to believe between the outcry from the prominent black community who is in outrage and loud about whats going on in Chicago and wikipedia being all like "WTF crime is going down compared to past decades"

I think they may have changed the way they reported or classified crime or something. Also, the violent crime is much worse. Not sure which types of crime Wikipedia is talking about.

I think they may have changed the way they reported or classified crime or something. Also, the violent crime is much worse. Not sure which types of crime Wikipedia is talking about.

Media Portrayal[edit]
This section may require copy editing. (January 2015)
Despite this, crime rate in Chicago has been the subject of intense media coverage. In the summer of 2012, many major media outlets compared the homicide rate in Chicago to that of the Holocaust and Afghanistan. One year, Chicago's murder rate was higher than Iraq's, which gave Chicago the nickname "Chiraq".[19] However, recent Chicago homicide rates are nowhere near those seen in the '70s, '80s and '90s. In fact, the past decade has logged some of the lowest annual rates since 1965. Gun violence is the leading factor of Chicago deaths, and the media portrays Chicago as one of the most, if not the most dangerous city in the United States of America, regardless of that information's accuracy.[20][21]

Despite Chicago's strict gun laws, many arms were trafficked in from surrounding municipalities or stolen from shipments. The New York Times constructed an info-graphic displaying this phenomenon.[22]

CBS explains in greater depth that Chicago violence has indeed decreased, no matter what the media projects the crime rates to be[23]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Chicago

Know the neighborhoods. Nothing different than L.A. Palma.

Know the neighborhoods. Nothing different than L.A. Palma.

If nothing different than LA (I wouldn't imagine it being actually much different) why is Chicago getting so much more attention than LA?

On the flip side, LA does really feel like it has an overwhelming police presence. They're everywhere. Pass multiple cops every time I drive to work, and places like Santa Monica they're on literally every corner, yet Chicago is almost double per this

http://www.governing.com/gov-data/s...ce-department-employee-totals-for-cities.html

Last edited:
I think a lot of it is Chicago relative to its peers now vs. then. It might be down on the whole, but it's still higher than L.A., NYC, etc.

There are pockets where it's really bad. But on the whole it's not awful - though I will say that I've seen more assaults/transients on public transit in four years here than I did in 11 in NYC.

PH, MSI is awesome - our favorite part was the U-boat tour, which totally blew my mind.

MSI and Mary Daley will become regular full day stops.

How can you guys forget the chickens hatching at the MSI. That's the best exhibit. I could watch that for an hour, just cheering for one damn chick to break through its egg.

And the You! exhibit on the top floor. Maybe the best spacein the whole city for kids.

thinking about going to Chicago in august for my wifes 30th. Will take our 1 year old. What to stay in River north, any rec's on good hotels?

My family loves staying at the Residence Inn River North. It's great for families. The location is walkable to much of downtown especially that time of the year. We've stayed there 3 or 4 times. Last time we went, they remembered us at the front desk and gave us an automatic upgrade. The studio rooms are fine with a 1 year old though.

Back