• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago

Wake95

Reaction score
Going to be in Chicago for a meeting next month. Will only be there one night....but will be free to do as I want as far as dinner, etc. Staying at the Sofitel Chicago Water Tower, so I will be in the Michigan Avenue area. Any recs on a good place to have dinner or anything cool that I should do in the evening?

Go to Navy Pier. If you've never had real Chicago pizza, eat it, preferably at Giordanos.

I got a great tip on a small Italian place called Topo Gigio, it was delicious and not that expensive:

http://www.topogigiochicago.com/

Also check out Rush St and Lou Malnati's for pizza. Malnati's is a chain but it was awesome.

Drink some Goose Island, walk along the lake, check out Millennium Park.

WALK WALK WALK. Easiest walking city ever

Last edited:
Very timely thread - we're probably going in November. Gotta find good flights out, though.

Booked a couple weeks ago for ND trip. RT flight from ATL was $328.

Frontera Grill or Topolobampo are great choices

In 1994, Frontera Grill was ranked the world's third-best casual dining restaurant by the International Herald Tribune.[SUP][2][/SUP] In 2007, Frontera Grill won the James Beard Foundation's "Outstanding Restaurant" award, designating it the best restaurant in the U.S.[SUP][3][/SUP]

Last edited:
Alinea is worth every penny. Otherwise, I loved Girl and the Goat, Publican, and Avec. Those are good with groups because you can get a lot of small plates. Gilt Bar is another favorite. Great food and drinks.

Girl and her Goat is on my short list of restaurants to try in the country.

I randomly went to the girl and the goat not knowing it was so awesome. Great great surprise.

I randomly went to the girl and the goat not knowing it was so awesome. Great great surprise.

Pretty sweet that you goy a table there without trying too hard. I still havent been. On my list for sure.

I can post some of my other Chi restaurant picks once i get internet hooked up in this apartment, but many of them require a cab ride or public transit to get to.

They have like one table up against the bar that cleared up as we walked in.... pure luck all around. My lady is vegetarian and they had awesome options for both of us.

Pretty sweet that you goy a table there without trying too hard. I still havent been. On my list for sure.

I can post some of my other Chi restaurant picks once i get internet hooked up in this apartment, but many of them require a cab ride or public transit to get to.

It is hard to get a reservation there unless you go really early or really late. They have a communal table, though, and my first trip we waited maybe five minutes to be seated there around 7:30 or 8:00. Party of two. It was probably luck.

I became addicted to XOCO for quicker, cheaper eats.

I'm heading to Chicago for 5 days. I'll be staying in Wicker Park and going to a conference Downtown, but I've never really been to Chicago before.

What should I do and where should I go?

Back