• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill Nye "The Science Guy" Hates Creationism

Is this really a question? Because he is.

I'm working on sermon prep today and Sunday's text is the "you are the salt of the earth" passage. Later it says "if salt has lost it's flavor..." The Greek verb there for "become tasteless" is moraino, the root of the word "moron." So my bad, he's a moron, not an idiot.

I wasn't arguing against it. I was just wondering why you thought that.

Check out Ken Ham in Religulous. Dude is nuts. Bill Nye will probably come across looking like an idiot though because Ham has more practice at it.

Check out Ken Ham in Religulous. Dude is nuts. Bill Nye will probably come across looking like an idiot though because Ham has more practice at it.

Sounds like the perfect setup for "Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience."

Why debate something that isn't up for debate?

Exactly. Is anyone's mind going to be changed tonight? If Ken Ham "wins" is that going to overturn the last 150 years of biology? Maybe Bill Nye thinks he can educate a few people, but I really don't see how he does anything but galvanize the creationism crowd.

Ham can do his thing and earn his paper, by all means. It's my BOY Bill who's in the wrong here, lending any semblance of validity to Ham's scientific views (for lack of a better label) by agreeing to this debate.

we as a species have already lost by giving 'creationism' a platform equal to science. so dumb.

Will still likely watch (at least for as long as I can endure it). Nye has to be smart enough to have a game plan to account for the lack of logic. Then again, Peyton didn't really have much of a game plan on Sunday. So who knows.

Its not even like Bill Nye is the best and the brightest the scientific field has to offer, much more entertainer and face than anything else these days. Though he does have something that pretty much 99.9% of the people in science lack, the ability to connect with people, explain things, and not be a total social dumbass.

Was it on tv, because I couldn't find it.

So not worth watching?

Not really. Wasn't really a "debate" (they never are). The first hour and a half is just them individually lecturing on their beliefs. Last 30 minutes is a Q&A session where neither one ever really answers the question being asked.

Not really. Wasn't really a "debate" (they never are). The first hour and a half is just them individually lecturing on their beliefs. Last 30 minutes is a Q&A session where neither one ever really answers the question being asked.

A lot of the questions were kind of infuriating. Like so, Bill, with all your science, what was before the BIG BANG? And what has Bill to say but, "we're trying to find out and the search for knowledge is wonderful." Then Ham is all, "uh, Bill, ya know, we've got got a book for that. It's called THE BIBLE, heard of it?"

At which point I punch my couch so many times my cat runs and hides in the bathtub.

So did Bill Nye convince you?

Actually, the best question was to Ham. "What, if anything, could change your mind?"

Last edited:
Actually, the best question was to Ham. "What, if anything, could change your mind?"

Nothing, really. Since he's so religious. He said that in a debate.

To an extent, I get that. I just happen to think he's wrong. If I debated someone about the validity of gay marriage (I'm for it) and they asked me what would change my mind, I'd probably say "nothing." I think most of us have those core values that we're not willing to leave. Doesn't mean that we shouldn't be willing to look at them and challenge them, but realizing that there likely isn't anything that would change it.

Back