• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill Nye "The Science Guy" Hates Creationism

To an extent, I get that. I just happen to think he's wrong. If I debated someone about the validity of gay marriage (I'm for it) and they asked me what would change my mind, I'd probably say "nothing." I think most of us have those core values that we're not willing to leave. Doesn't mean that we shouldn't be willing to look at them and challenge them, but realizing that there likely isn't anything that would change it.

Oh, yeah, that's totally fair with respect to gay marriage and other questions of values/morality. It's not fair when arguing against the validity of science (the age of the Earth, the literal truth of The Flood, or what should be taught to kids in schools in this case).

Interestingly, Bill made the point a couple of times that there were millions of Christians in the world who believed in The Bible and who read it more allegorically, i.e. were not Young Earth Creationists.

Last edited:
Oh, yeah, that's totally fair with respect to gay marriage and other questions of values/morality. It's not fair when arguing against the validity of science (the age of the Earth, the literal truth of The Flood, or what should be taught to kids in schools in this case).

Interestingly, Bill made the point a couple of times that there were millions of Christians in the world who believed in The Bible and who read it more allegorically, i.e. were not Young Earth Creationists.

I completely agree with you, but to Ham, it is a question of value/truth/morality.

Speaking of the Flood- can't wait to see all the crap that's going to come out with that Noah movie that there was a trailer for in the Superb Owl.

I completely agree with you, but to Ham, it is a question of value/truth/morality.

Do you mean that by tying so tightly his belief in God the creator to YEC, an attack on "6,000 years" is an attack on his belief in Christianity? I can see that, I guess. It's a shame, though. I'm glad a lot of Christians have moved past that. It doesn't have to be so difficult for the spiritual and scientific communities to coexist.

I could have dominated this debate:

Me: Did you enjoy Jurassic Park?
Ham: Of course I did, I'm a human being.
Me: Calling it "a movie 6,000 years in the making" instead of "65 million years in the making" sounds pretty fucking stupid, does it not?
Ham: I suppose you are right.
Me: I rest my case.

Speaking of the Flood- can't wait to see all the crap that's going to come out with that Noah movie that there was a trailer for in the Superb Owl.

How could a Jewish guy be named Ham?

Back