• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill Nye "The Science Guy" Hates Creationism

But, to answer your question, in a very basic way, homo erectus (primitive, yo), goes back about 2m years.

The reign of the reptilian terrestrial dinosaurs we usually think of (T Rex. etc.) ended with the Cretaceous-Paleogene extinction event, which occurred 65.5m years ago. After that, we had the rise of the mammals. Mammoths, cats, dogs, and (eventually) us.

But wait, the planet is only 6,000 years old. Does not compute.

9148130.jpg

Being a dinosaur obsessed little kid growing up in a very religious setting, my favorite bible verses were Job 40:15-24. All the YEC dinosaur books I read pointed this out as the best indication that dinosaurs lived with men. Of course, it is probably describing an elephant or hippo or something of the sort.

Yeah, its one of those things that if dinosaurs lived amongst humans you damn fucking know we will be writing about it. Human nature hasn't changed enough not to be interested and thus writing about the coolest shit around. Hey lets write about the clouds, lilies, and water. Hey man what about that huge 40 foot 6 ton monster looking thing with claws and teeth. Pshhh like anyone wants to hear about that when can talk about flowers. If anything it would be a good position to point towards the acceptance of homosexuals in the Bible. No dinosaurs, all flowers.

The dinosaurs(large reptiles) with which we are familiar died out around 65 million years ago. This was the impetus for our own evolution(and all larger mammals) so our ancestors most certainly lived with smaller dinosaurs that survived the KT events.

Whoa what?

jesus-riding-raptor.jpg

Man wouldn't be man without the dinosaur extinction event.

Explain that further?

There is no way that mammals could ever develop to the degree that man has if they were getting eaten by dinosaurs constantly. Mammals would still be scurrying around on the forest floor.

There is no way that mammals could ever develop to the degree that man has if they were getting eaten by dinosaurs constantly. Mammals would still be scurrying around on the forest floor.

Doesn't man evolve in response to our environment, not despite it?

This. The KT boundary event paved the way for our evolution.

I was a research assistant in the Anthropology Department during my undergrad years, and the professors would get shipped the most ridiculous book samples.

Photo texts detailing creationist evolution over 6,000 years, Intelligent Design books, etc. It's crazy that there's such a large production of these materials, and even crazier that they're shipping them to Wake Forest professors.

I've not read all 7 pages of this so forgive me if someone mentioned this.....I am not a scientist but I damn well believe in evolution and think creationism is a bunch of crap. However, I do believe in God and I was reading about the big bang theory the other day with one of my sons (he is definitely a future scientist). Anyway, it was describing how the big bang basically began as a single point of intense energy and then "bang" and the universe as we know it began to form over billions of years.

It struck me that the big bang was the perfect way to explain God's creation of the universe while also using science to describe the effects. If that single point of intense energy was God's hand and he decided that he was going to create "life, the universe, and everything", then the big bang is the moment God made it happen and then science describes all the factors that God set into motion that went into the universe forming, life evolving and eventually me typing at this keyboard. Obviously, this does not jive with the bible but it seems a way for people like me to believe wholly in science and still believe that God created us. I'm sure both sides can find flaws in my argument but it is comforting in a wierd way for me think about it.

Last edited:
I've not read all 7 pages of this so forgive me if someone mentioned this.....I am not a scientist but I damn well believe in evolution and think creationism is a bunch of crap. However, I do believe in God and I was reading about the big bang theory the other day with one of my sons (he is definitely a future scientist). Anyway, it was describing how the big bang basically began as a single point of intense energy and then "bang" and the universe as we know it began to form over billions of years.

It struck me that the big bang was the perfect way to explain God's creation of the universe while also using science to describe the effects. If that single point of intense energy was God's hand and he decided that he was going to create "life, the universe, and everything", then the big bang is the moment God made it happen and then science describes all the factors that God set into motion that went into the universe forming, life evolving and eventually me typing at this keyboard. Obviously, this does not jive with the bible but it seems a way for people like me to believe wholly in science and still believe that God created us. I'm sure both sides can find flaws in my argument but it is comforting in a wierd way for me think about it.

Nice job condemning your son to the pits of hell you sicko.

Sincerely,
The Catholic Church

can you rephrase that? are you asking why man didn't evolve alongside the great reptiles?

I'll quote Darwin:
"In the struggle for survival, the fittest win out at the expense of their rivals because they succeed in adapting themselves best to their environment."

It seems weird to argue that evolution couldn't take place until the environment changed.

I'll quote Darwin:
"In the struggle for survival, the fittest win out at the expense of their rivals because they succeed in adapting themselves best to their environment."

It seems weird to argue that evolution couldn't take place until the environment changed.

That's exactly the point. The environment changed and when it did, so did the rules of the game. The environment pre-KT was not hospitable for our type of (soft, weak) creature to evolve to the point where we could have dealt with the dinos. Mammals as a whole weren't flourishing. After KT, without the big reptiles, mammals thrived and the door was left open for the likes of... us.

Maybe in the future, a new superbug virus comes along and wipes out humans and opportunities abound for other critters to survive without us holding them down. Similar situation.

And also, I should mention, evolution is always taking place in the macro sense. Although, I'd argue that humans are doing their best to stop it from happening to ourselves. It will be interesting to see where that leads. The weakening of the human race, I mean.

I'll quote Darwin:

Our planet is undergoing a mass extinction as we speak. Only those that can adapt to the changing climate and conditions will continue to survive. The dinosaurs died out because the planet couldn't support large carnivores or herbivores for quite some time after/during the KT event. This allowed mammals to truly take hold of their situation on Earth.

Back