• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill Nye "The Science Guy" Hates Creationism

I clicked on this thread expecting a pissing contest between science and religious types. I admittedly only read the last few pages, but was pleasantly surprised to see a relatively intelligent discussion on the evolution of man from the age of the dominant dinosaurs.

Well done, Pit. Pos rep for all.

I was a research assistant in the Anthropology Department during my undergrad years, and the professors would get shipped the most ridiculous book samples.

Photo texts detailing creationist evolution over 6,000 years, Intelligent Design books, etc. It's crazy that there's such a large production of these materials, and even crazier that they're shipping them to Wake Forest professors.

Someone I work with use to be an archeologist before he got into medical science. I have no idea how they found him but one day the Atlas of Creation arrived. It is awesome and basically consists of the same argument over and over again. It will have a picture of a fossil or a drawing of something that people claim is old, like a 50 million year old fossil of a leaf and then next to it a modern leaf that looks like it. Then it says, see same thing, no evolution. The book is probably 300 pages, full color, about 2 feet tall, and must have some serious backers to produce and send out for free.

images

Last night I was watching the "United Bates of America" on TLC because it's like a darned train wreck and I can't look away. This is another one of those big families like the 19 Kids and Counting folks, and they homeschool all their kids.
I would be willing to bet they're not learning about evolution from mom, nor are many of these other super conservative homeschooled families.

I'm still curious about this 46% and what the question they asked actually said. Like IAmThunderbolt pointed out, there's a difference in "do you believe God created the universe" and "do you believe the earth was created by God 6000 years ago." I cringe to think 46% actually believe the second.

As for intelligent but religious/spiritual, I like to think I fall into this category. I can follow the scientific explanations for things and carbon dating and everything else, but do believe there's a higher power out there painting the big picture. I feel like my understanding of science fortifies this. *shrug*

Good to see lbE's sig actually be relevant.

:D

I was totally thinking that as I wrote my post.

Question: If you truly believe in a Creator God, then why fear science?

Possible example of this scenario: You believe in God and you're all for the advance and pursuit of scientific knowledge. So carbon dating says the world is XXXXXX years old and a new breakthrough theory proposes an incredible and rational leap in the evolutionary process. Rock on. Let's keep digging. And digging. You are so confident in the power and dominion and existence of God that you have no fear what we will uncover. With this confidence, you can accept the theories of dinosaur extinction and a multimillion year old Earth without qualms. You can teach your kids both God and biology/physics.

Final Question: What if most science is, in fact, the continuing pursuit of the end source of creation (i.e., God).

Here is where I come down on it as a religious yet intelligent, educated person: If the YEC people are right, God set up the rules of the whole universe (i.e. carbon dating) and buried all those dino skeletons just to trick us. So if evolution is not true, then I am forced to believe that God is a real asshole. I can't understand how a religious person would want to go to all that trouble just to prove to themselves that God is an asshole.

Here is where I come down on it as a religious yet intelligent, educated person: If the YEC people are right, God set up the rules of the whole universe (i.e. carbon dating) and buried all those dino skeletons just to trick us. So if evolution is not true, then I am forced to believe that God is a real asshole. I can't understand how a religious person would want to go to all that trouble just to prove to themselves that God is an asshole.

I'm guessing you would get a response that God is testing our faith, like he did with so many in the Old Testament (Abraham, Job, etc).

I took a class on this in college (YEC vs Evolution). You'd be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't) how deeply they will try to manipulate and bastardize science to prove their asinine theories. If I remember correctly, their theories on the flood and the evidence supporting it is the foundation their house of cards is built on (although, admittedly, it's been a decade or so since I took that class, so don't quote me on that).

I took a class on this in college (YEC vs Evolution). You'd be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't) how deeply they will try to manipulate and bastardize science to prove their asinine theories. If I remember correctly, their theories on the flood and the evidence supporting it is the foundation their house of cards is built on (although, admittedly, it's been a decade or so since I took that class, so don't quote me on that).

The flood is the keystone to their arguments. Everything is based on it.

For example, the grand canyon wasn't created by the Colorado river over millions of years. It was created in less than a year during and after the flood.

For example, the grand canyon wasn't created by the Colorado river over millions of years. It was created in less than a year during and after the flood.

Dude, there are SEASHELLS on MOUNTAINTOPS.

oreillycantexplain1.jpg

Hmmmm.... The Grand Canyon being created in less than a year is a much cooler story. I choose to believe that one.

Religion can be an easy answer to tough questions, or it can be a means of asking even more tough questions. Unfortunately, most folks choose the former.

Back